Thread: A 'perfect collection': Rare haul of 3,900 whiskies goes to auction

A 'perfect collection': Rare haul of 3,900 whiskies goes to auction

I think i should stop collecting precious metals and instead collect bottles of whisky.

The largest private collection of whisky ever to go to auction has been unveiled with an estimated value of up to £8m ($11m).

The so-called "perfect collection" consists of 3,900 bottles, some of which are valued individually at more than £1m ($1.3m).

It is being sold by the family of the late Richard Gooding, a former PepsiCo bottling magnate from Colorado, for whom whisky collecting was a life's work.

Mr Gooding built and nurtured the collection over many years with regular trips to Scotland to source special bottles at auctions and distilleries before his death in 2014.

Until recently his collection had been housed in his "pub" at his US home - a room showcasing some of the world's most rare and coveted whisky.

The "library" of whiskies includes a number of bottlings from some of Scotland's lost distilleries such as Stromness Distillery, which makes Old Orkney, and the Dallas Dhu distillery that closed in 1983.

The collection also includes a bottle of 1926 Fine and Rare Macallan, one of which recently became the most expensive in the world when it sold for £1.5m ($1.9m).

http://news.sky.com/story/a-perfect-...ction-11882191

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see the point in dying while sitting atop a bottle of '29 Macallans.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't see the point in dying while sitting atop a bottle of '29 Macallans.
    What about dying with dozens of gold or silver coins

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    What about dying with dozens of gold or silver coins
    I can fondle them while I drink the whiskey
    Do something Danke

If I was a whisky aficionado and had the money to I would buy all that whisky.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Trump's 25% tariff on Scotch should make them worth even more now (although that collection is already in the US and not subject to the tariff).