Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Advent

  1. #1

    Advent

    Anyone doing anything special during Advent?

    We are listening to a chapter of the Gospel of Luke every night. Luke has 24 chapters, so we will have the whole life of Christ by Christmas.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Anyone doing anything special during Advent?

    We are listening to a chapter of the Gospel of Luke every night. Luke has 24 chapters, so we will have the whole life of Christ by Christmas.
    Yes, I am reading a chapter of Luke each night to my kids too.

  4. #3
    There is a reason why the Christmas season can feel so hollow and Christmas itself and afterwards feels so empty.

    Traditionally, Advent was a time of fasting and prayer. A time to focus on the spiritual aspect to prepare for the celebration of the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. Then after the time of asceticism, Christmas day brings the feast. Then the 12 days of Christmas (that come after) are days of celebration that gradually wind down.

    Now instead of fasting, our society feeds like gluttons from Thanksgiving to the big feast on Christmas day.. the meal on Christmas Day is simply the final feast, and then there is nothing...

  5. #4
    RJB, what version are you using?
    Last edited by euphemia; 12-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    RJB, what version are you using?
    The Orthodox Study Bible.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There is a reason why the Christmas season can feel so hollow and Christmas itself and afterwards feels so empty.

    Traditionally, Advent was a time of fasting and prayer. A time to focus on the spiritual aspect to prepare for the celebration of the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. Then after the time of asceticism, Christmas day brings the feast. Then the 12 days of Christmas (that come after) are days of celebration that gradually wind down.

    Now instead of fasting, our society feeds like gluttons from Thanksgiving to the big feast on Christmas day.. the meal on Christmas Day is simply the final feast, and then there is nothing...
    Husband generally has a bah humbug attitude for any holiday—especially Christmas. I like the quiet reflection. One of the things I learned from the liturgical year is that preparation must precede celebration.

    I believe the Incarnation is foundational to our doctrine. Without life there is no death. Without death there is no resurrection.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Husband generally has a bah humbug attitude for any holiday—especially Christmas. I like the quiet reflection. One of the things I learned from the liturgical year is that preparation must precede celebration.

    I believe the Incarnation is foundational to our doctrine. Without life there is no death. Without death there is no resurrection.
    There are some Church Fathers (can’t recall which ones off the top of my head) that say that the Incarnation was the greatest mystery, even more so than the Resurrection, and that the history of creation is divided up between the time before the Incarnation of the Logos of God and the time after.

    Of course, the Nativity is one of the greatest celebrations as well, when we celebrate the birth of Christ and the advent of the Incarnate Son of God. Happens to be my favorite one as well.

    Α blessed Advent season to you Euphemia! May it be filled with peace and joy!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

  9. #8
    And to you.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There is a reason why the Christmas season can feel so hollow and Christmas itself and afterwards feels so empty.

    Traditionally, Advent was a time of fasting and prayer. A time to focus on the spiritual aspect to prepare for the celebration of the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. Then after the time of asceticism, Christmas day brings the feast. Then the 12 days of Christmas (that come after) are days of celebration that gradually wind down.

    Now instead of fasting, our society feeds like gluttons from Thanksgiving to the big feast on Christmas day.. the meal on Christmas Day is simply the final feast, and then there is nothing...
    Except the in-laws calling you one more time to get together for New Year's.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

  12. #10
    I find it Awesome, in the full meaning of the word,, That the Creator would become his creation.

    The God of all that is,, was born as an infant human.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom



Similar Threads

  1. With the advent of the Black Box in Auto's & the erosion of our
    By Schifference in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 09:55 PM
  2. The pre advent judgement of Daniel 7.
    By jmdrake in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM
  3. Happy Advent, RPFs :)
    By heavenlyboy34 in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •