Thread: DHS Scraps Planned Mandatory Facial Scans For American Travelers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up DHS Scraps Planned Mandatory Facial Scans For American Travelers

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency has reversed course on plans to submit Americans to compulsory biometric scans at airports across the country, following a wave of intense pushback to the privacy-eroding proposal.
    “There are no current plans to require US citizens to provide photographs upon entry and exit from the United States,” a CBP spokesperson said in a statement on Thursday.
    “CBP intends to have the planned regulatory action regarding US citizens removed from the unified agenda next time it is published.”

Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) has been another vocal opponent of the government’s use of biometrics, discussing new bipartisan legislation “designed to protect your privacy from unwarranted facial-recognition surveillance” in an address to the Brookings Institution on Thursday.
    I enjoyed speaking at Brookings this morning with my friend Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE). We talked about our new legislation designed to protect your privacy from unwarranted facial-recognition surveillance. pic.twitter.com/FsD5fMIOsp
    — Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) December 5, 2019
    Other lawmakers across the aisle have expressed similar concerns, with Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH) noting earlier this year that his office was working with top Democrats to draft “the right kind of legislation” to reign in the technology. Jordan is a ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, which itself has led some of the resistance to federal face scans.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/dhs-scraps-...can-travelers/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Glad to hear that. I didn't know anyone was even paying attention.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Gotta protect "us" from "them"- whomever "them" are. Some on here argue that we need tighter security at border crossings to keep out "undesirables".

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Gotta protect "us" from "them"- whomever "them" are. Some on here argue that we need tighter security at border crossings to keep out "undesirables".
    There are good ways to increase border/immigration security and bad ways, this was a bad way.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

At least someone is paying attention.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Good to hear.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I have not entered an airport since before the patriot act passed and TSA started up their groping and scanning. My husband got mad at we because I would not travel by air but I refuse to voluntarily let them feel me up. Every time my H flew he was detained and missed several flights because of it and he was one of the cleanest guys I have ever known. He would do every thing to get to the airport to allow for being detained sometimes leaving up to 5 hours before his flight. F--- them and the people who put up with it.
    Last edited by Working Poor; 12-07-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Bump

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    REAL ID still there, which is a federal datebase of faces. If this is a real pushback and not a head-fake (no pun intended), they'll wait until next Congress to push the finer points through. The face scanning has been there already though. For those that haven't figured it out yet, they implement unconstitutional measures first then legislate it into legality (constitutional and legal are two different standards!! LEARN THIS) later whenever it's politically acceptable.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...ion/index.html

(CNN) — Instead of scanning her boarding pass, the airport gate scanned her face.
    In April 2019, traveler MacKenzie Fegan was left surprised and confused when she boarded a JetBlue flight from the United States to Mexico, without handing over her passport, or travel documents.
    "There were plastic barricades across the front of each lane, I look to my right, and the gate opens," she tells CNN Travel. "I was like, 'What, just happened?' There was no boarding pass scan, nothing like that."
    Before she'd even sat down on her airplane seat, Fegan, a New York-based journalist, fired off a Tweet to JetBlue, asking the airline to explain the process.
    "Did facial recognition replace boarding passes, unbeknownst to me? Did I consent to this?" She wrote, clicking send.
    About 10 minutes later, Fegan received a reply:
    "You're able to opt out of this procedure, MacKenzie. Sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable," read the response.

more at link
    Jefferson said something about attending to the inconveniences of too much liberty instead of the conveniences of too little....
    Last edited by devil21; 12-12-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book