Thread: Outrage After Police Use Bystanders As "Human Shields" In Florida UPS Truck Shootout

Outrage After Police Use Bystanders As "Human Shields" In Florida UPS Truck Shootout

Miami police and other officers appear to have used surrounding bystanders as "human shields" when they responded to the the hijacked UPS truck following an armed heist of a jewelry store Thursday. After suspects led police on a two-county rush-hour chase through Miami which ended in a hail of gunfire in the middle of crowded traffic on Miramar Parkway and Flamingo Road, hundreds of police bullets from 19 officers firing on the truck brought it to an end.
    As we reported earlier, four people have been confirmed dead, including the robbers and the UPS driver, since identified as 27-year-old Frank Ordonez, who unluckily had been taken hostage on a day he was reportedly filling in for another driver. Some of his own family members are blaming the "trigger happy" Florida police for killing him in their overeagerness to stop the criminals.
    An investigation is underway which will also focus on the other innocent bystander that died an unidentified person shot while trapped at the intersection in one of the many surrounding vehicles.
    Cops just unloaded on an innocent UPS driver that was hostage in an armed robbery. You can watch the video for yourself pretty graphic.

This happened in Miami. pic.twitter.com/OB3W35D3Dz
    — Kluebtorious (@rklueber28) December 5, 2019

"In addition to the UPS driver - who was on his knees - the innocent bystander was shot while sitting in a car waiting at the stop light in the intersection," CBS4 News in Miami reporter Jim DeFede has confirmed.
    "The number of shots fired by the officers is not currently known but my source said it could exceed 200 rounds," he reported. The deceased bystander had been "inside an idle car at the scene."
    7:30 p.m. update: Reports say four people were killed — the two robbers, the abducted UPS driver and a bystander who was inside an idle car at the scene. https://t.co/lHdXO2wknb
    — South Florida Sun Sentinel (@SunSentinel) December 6, 2019
    DeFede concluded that though police were facing a "chaotic situation" it remains that "innocent people are dead" and "questions need to be asked".
    A number of online commentators noted the dramatic scene of police immediately rushing into stalled traffic on foot and emptying their weapons in return fire appeared something more from a Hollywood action movie.
    3. I count at least five instances of cops firing on the vehicle *with the hostage* while using occupied civilian vehicles as *human shields.* This is shocking and deplorable police work. Everyone should have their badges and guns taken away. pic.twitter.com/frU5tUSVvM
    — Brandon Friedman (@BFriedmanDC) December 6, 2019
    Viral video shows the UPS truck stopped amid heavy traffic with bystanders in their vehicles on either side. But the police response is now under criticism given that instead of hanging back and waiting for fewer civilians to be in the line of fire, or even establishing contact through a police negotiator, officers rushed the UPS truck in a blaze of bullets.
    Police had the other option of backing off the easily identifiable and trackable large brown UPS truck in order to engage with it in a more open area.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...truck-shootout
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Started with a jewelry store robbery where shots were fired. The gunmen in the van started shooting first. Van was stopped in the middle of a highway- officers did use some cars on the road to duck behind. Video shows they trying to get some people out of the way. Is that using "bystanders as human shields"? (Zerohedge does like to over-sensationalize things) Dead was the robbers, the UPS driver who was hijacked, and one bystander. Jewelry store owner was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Started with a jewelry store robbery where shots were fired. The gunmen in the van started shooting first. Van was stopped in the middle of a highway- officers did use some cars on the road to duck behind. Video shows they trying to get some people out of the way. Is that using "bystanders as human shields"? (Zerohedge does like to over-sensationalize things) Dead was the robbers, the UPS driver who was hijacked, and one bystander. Jewelry store owner was injured.

Your right. They just used the surrounding people, other cops included, and the neighborhood as a backstop for their circular enfilade.

Being human shields is the price we pay for living in a civilized society.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Yes, they were using cars, and the people in them, as cover. Their defense is that the robbers opened fire first, but perhaps rushing them in a heavily populated area was not a good idea.

Protected and served by our Heroes in blue.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

DeFede concluded that though police were facing a "chaotic situation" it remains that "innocent people are dead" and "questions need to be asked".
    But the Officers are OK right?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yes, they were using cars, and the people in them, as cover. Their defense is that the robbers opened fire first, but perhaps rushing them in a heavily populated area was not a good idea.
    Exactly, they didn't have much option. What were the Officers expected to do, not shoot the UPS truck and everyone in/near it?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Exactly, they didn't have much option. What were the Officers expected to do, not shoot the UPS truck and everyone in/near it?

Officers should always shoot first, ask questions later. After all, it IS rhe safest policy, for the officers, of course.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Officers should always shoot first, ask questions later. After all, it IS rhe safest policy, for the officers, of course.
    Exactly. If this person had hijacked a school bus full of children, it still wouldn't change the fact that Officer safety was at risk and decisive action needed to be taken.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Exactly. If this person had hijacked a school bus full of children, it still wouldn't change the fact that Officer safety was at risk and decisive action needed to be taken.
    Exactly right. And the commies would all be complaining about a few dead school children, what's this country coming to?
    "The Patriarch"

All I now is that if a cop starts shooting at me I start shooting back. I don't give a rat's ass his reasoning.

Doesn't every person that thinks they are in supervisory capacity hide behind those they feel are inferior to them?

This was a disgrace and the police should be investigated and sued for their recklessness. Human life is worth far more than jewelry.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    but perhaps rushing them in a heavily populated area was not a good idea.
    Cops are always on their radio in contact with dispatch. Higher ups need to accept responsibility for these terrible decisions. When I was young I remember working at convenience store and told if robber comes in, give them what they want. What would be the expected outcome of surrounding a couple of armed robbers with police cars and cops with nowhere to escape or go? Doing it in a populated area is the worst idea ever. With todays technology, several drones could have easily tracked the suspects after they let the driver go. This is not about the UPS robbery or cops this is about gun legislation.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    This is not a "bug", it's a "feature".

I've talked until I was blue in the face about this: but this is fact, it is in the training to do exactly this.

In any armed cop confrontation of any sort, you are NOT a citizen to be protected and served, you are, at best, a neutral NPC.

At worst you are a "hostile" to be "taken out".
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is not a "bug", it's a "feature".

I've talked until I was blue in the face about this: but this is fact, it is in the training to do exactly this.

In any armed cop confrontation of any sort, you are NOT a citizen to be protected and served, you are, at best, a neutral NPC.

At worst you are a "hostile" to be "taken out".

You're preaching to the choir on this one, brother. It is, as you correctly note a feature, a feature of government at all levels, in fact. Expecting government, at any level, to protect you is hopelessly, childishly naive. It is not intended to do so, nor was it ever. And yet, many people, even around here do expect just that.
    Chris