Thread: Microsoft Finds Password Security Problem Affecting 44 Million Users

Microsoft Finds Password Security Problem Affecting 44 Million Users

After analyzing a database containing 3 billion leaked credentials from security breaches, the Microsoft threat research team determined more than 44 million user accounts had a serious security problem. Here's what you need to know.
    The Microsoft threat research team password analysis

The Microsoft threat research team analyzed billions of login credentials that had been leaked following security breaches. These came from multiple sources, including law enforcement and publicly accessible databases, according to Microsoft.
    Considering that data breaches are known to have exposed 4.1 billion records in the first six months of 2019 alone, there's obviously plenty of this kind of credential data floating around, and plenty that is traded across dark web markets. Security researchers analyze this breach data, and by so doing, it's possible to get an idea of the most commonly reused and therefore insecure passwords. The Microsoft identity threat research team was also looking for these compromised credentials to cross-check against the Microsoft user eco-system.
    Across just the first three months of 2019, Microsoft found some 44 million accounts that were reusing passwords found within those breached credentials databases. You might think that 44 million reused passwords, out of more than 3 billion breached credentials, isn't too bad a percentage. Unless you are one of those Azure AD or Microsoft Account holders with the password problem, of course.

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi...million-users/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Micro$oft is a security risk.

I don't use Windows..

and my name has enough baggage,,and flags attached to it,, it has become it's own safety.

Felon,Domestic Terrorist,, and often assumed dangerous. you don't want to be me,,,
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Its scary so I just use Dankes passwords .
    Do something Danke