Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Administration Considers 14,000 More Troops for Mideast

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    LOL

Were aren't talking about troops leaving either.
    Trump is:

President Trump made an unannounced trip to Afghanistan on Thursday, his first as president, to visit troops for the Thanksgiving holiday. There, Trump said peace talks with the Taliban had resumed, speaking at a US air force base alongside Afghan president Ashraf Ghani.
    Trump landed at Bagram Airfield around 8:30 pm local time Thursday and greeted U.S. soldiers over a turkey dinner before meeting with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani at the airfield’s Air Force headquarters.
    ��MOMENTS AGO��
    President @realDonaldTrump visits U.S. Soldiers at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.... pic.twitter.com/HpHd6PxEqn
    — Dan Scavino Jr.���� (@Scavino45) November 28, 2019

Following a meeting with Ghani, Trump told reporters that the Taliban “wants to make a deal” and that US officials were "meeting with them." Trump also said that the Taliban was willing to agree to a ceasefire: "The Taliban wants to make a deal and we’re meeting with them and we’re saying it has to be a cease-fire, and they didn’t want to do a cease-fire and now they want to do a cease-fire - I believe it’ll probably work out that way."
    Trump also said that the US will continue to reduce its troop commitment to the region, from 12,000 now to about 8,600, but would like to go lower without impacting operational duties. “We can go much further than that, but we’ll have it all covered,” Trump said. [That is without a deal, they will all leave with a deal]

Speaking to the US troops, Trump reiterated that they’re working for a peace deal in Afghanistan. “Rest assured that my administration will always be committed to annihilating terrorists wherever they appear,” he said, adding that he looked forward to the day “when we can bring each and every one of you home and safe to your family, and that day is coming and coming very soon.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ban-talks-have
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We aren't talking about troops already sent, we are talking about the fact that there is no plan to send more.
    There were "no plans" to send the first 14,000 either.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Which doesn't mean anything.
    We are exactly where we were before the fake news story was published.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Which doesn't mean anything.
    The story was not fake. It did not claim that a certain amount of troops were definitely being sent anywhere. It said that the White House was discussing whether or not to send more. The Undersecretary of Defense confirmed that the topic was indeed discussed. The White House did not deny that there was any consideration of whether or not to send any more troops to the Middle East. They only said that the 14,000 figure was wrong. They did not say that no troops may be sent. Asked if a smaller number was discussed, the Undersecretary said "yes".
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, well, I must be a $#@!ing idiot to have fallen for it again.

This is what, the umpteenth time now?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

The story was not fake. It did not claim that a certain amount of troops were definitely being sent anywhere. It said that the White House was discussing whether or not to send more. The Undersecretary of Defense confirmed that the topic was indeed discussed. The White House did not deny that there was any consideration of whether or not to send any more troops to the Middle East. They only said that the 14,000 figure was wrong. Asked if a smaller number was discussed, the Undersecretary said "yes".
    No, there was no discussion and nobody said there was.
    He only said that they always evaluate events to consider what to do and that they might do anything.

There was never any plan discussed, the story that started all this was fake news and we are exactly where we always were before it was published.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No, there was no discussion and nobody said there was.
    He only said that they always evaluate events to consider what to do and that they might do anything.

There was never any plan discussed, the story that started all this was fake news and we are exactly where we always were before it was published.
    For the "umpteenth time" the Undersecretary of Defense, testifying before Congress, said that yes, there was a discussion on whether or not to send more troops. He did not say what the result of those discussions was but that the discussion did take place.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...st-iran-076369

“The secretary of Defense is consistently, and continues to evaluate, with the advice of others, what the appropriate number of forces to be deployed to the Middle East is,” Undersecretary of Defense for Policy John Rood told the Senate Armed Services Committee. He later added that “as necessary, the secretary of Defense has told me he intends to make changes to our force posture there.
    Asked about a Wall Street Journal report on the possible deployments, Rood called it an “erroneous item” since “we haven’t made a decision to deploy an additional 14,000 troops.” But the article said only that such a deployment was under consideration, not that it had been decided upon, as Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) hammered home to Rood in subsequent questioning. The article also reported that officials are examining a range of options, with 14,000 troops at the higher end.
    Ms. Blackburn then asked Mr. Rood whether additional forces were being considered, or whether the Pentagon might send fewer than 14,000. “Yes,” he responded.
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ed-middle-east

The only thing being actually denied is the 14,000 figure.

Rood called it an “erroneous item” since “we haven’t made a decision to deploy an additional 14,000 troops.”
    Asked are they considering a smaller number than that, he responded "yes".

Ms. Blackburn then asked Mr. Rood whether additional forces were being considered, or whether the Pentagon might send fewer than 14,000. “Yes,” he responded.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.

For the "umpteenth time" the Undersecretary of Defense, testifying before Congress, said that yes, there was a discussion on whether or not to send more troops. He did not say what the result of those discussions was but that the discussion did take place.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...st-iran-076369

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ed-middle-east
    You keep repeating the same spin.
    The fact that they constantly do their job and consider how to manage our forces is not at all the same as the report that there was a specific discussion of a specific plan to send a specific number of troops.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And yet again, for the "umpteenth time", the same spin.

Trump is:
    He's been talking about troops leaving since 2012.

And yet he has only ever added troops.

So...?
    I'm going to need to be told the details before I accept the narrative about this.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And yet again, for the "umpteenth time", the same spin.
    Thanks for not actually posting it this time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    He's been talking about troops leaving since 2012.

And yet he has only ever added troops.

So...?
    Nope, he has removed troops.

Until he sent some troops to non-war zones instead of starting a war with Iran he had overall removed troops.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Once again, no. You make this assertion constantly and yet you have nothing to back it up but words.

Subtracting 2K troops while adding 14K troops is not a reduction.

Cutting $1 from a budget while adding $1M is not a reduction.

Etc.

Trumpmath is not a thing.

Until he sent some troops to non-war zones instead of starting a war with Iran he had overall removed troops.
    I'm going to need to be told the details before I accept the narrative about this.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

The troops in Syria were not removed from the area. Some were moved to Iraq and the rest will remain in Syria "indefinitely". Meanwhile, troop levels in other countries in the area are higher than when he took office. This article is from 2017- before the latest round of 14,000 troops were added:

https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-secr...nt-past-718089

TRUMP'S SECRET WAR? U.S. MILITARY'S PRESENCE IN MIDDLE EAST HAS GROWN 33 PERCENT IN PAST FOUR MONTHS

President Donald Trump has increased the number of U.S. troops and civilians working for the Department of Defense in the Middle East to 54,180 from 40,517 in the past four months, representing a 33-percent rise.

This number doesn't even account for the big rise in troops stationed in Afghanistan since Trump announced his new strategy for the fight against the Taliban in late August.

These figures, first pointed out on Twitter by Dr. Micah Zenko, a foreign policy expert, come from the Pentagon's quarterly reports on personnel. In other words, these numbers are no secret, which raises concerns about the apparent lack of discourse over the expansion of the U.S. military in a region in which it already has a long, complicated history.

Based on the latest report, published November 17, here are the number of U.S. troops and Department of Defense civilians in each Middle Eastern country: Egypt, 455; Israel, 41; Lebanon, 110; Syria, 1,723; Turkey, 2,265; Jordan, 2,730; Iraq, 9,122; Kuwait, 16,592; Saudi Arabia, 850; Yemen, 14; Oman, 32; United Arab Emirates, 4,240; Qatar, 6,671; Bahrain, 9,335.

As a comparison, here are the numbers from June: Egypt, 392; Israel, 28; Lebanon, 99; Syria, 1,251; Turkey, 1,405; Jordan, 2,469; Iraq, 8,173; Kuwait, 14,790; Saudi Arabia, 730; Yemen, 13; Oman, 30; United Arab Emirates, 1,531; Qatar, 3,164; Bahrain, 6,541.

As the numbers show, there was not a single country where the presence of U.S. military personnel did not increase during this period.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2019 at 05:45 PM.

The troops in Syria were not removed from the area. Some were moved to Iraq and the rest will remain in Syria "indefinitely". Meanwhile, troop levels in other countries in the area are higher than when he took office. This article is from 2017- before the latest round of 14,000 troops were added:

https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-secr...nt-past-718089
    We aren't talking about just Syria.
    And between the time of that article and when Trump sent some troops to friendly countries instead of starting a war with Iran he had overall been reducing the number of troops deployed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Once again, no. You make this assertion constantly and yet you have nothing to back it up but words.

Etc.

Never let facts get in the way of a good spin. Facts can be just to darned inconvenient.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/t...-officials-say

Trump’s new plan will send 3,900 more troops to Afghanistan, officials say

World Aug 22, 2017 4:28 PM EST
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s plan to end America’s longest war and eliminate Afghanistan’s rising extremist threat involves sending up to 3,900 additional U.S. troops, senior officials said Tuesday. The first deployments could take place within days.

In a national address Monday night, Trump reversed his past calls for a speedy exit and recommitted the United States to the 16-year-old conflict, saying U.S. troops must “fight to win.” He warned against repeating what he said were mistakes in Iraq, where an American military withdrawal led to a vacuum that the Islamic State group quickly filled.

Etc.

But pro-Trump spin is.

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And between the time of that article and when Trump sent some troops to friendly countries instead of starting a war with Iran he had overall been reducing the number of troops deployed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Link? Or just reading that from your internet guidebook? (the wording is a bit awkward)

Which countries did he reduce troops in? By how many?

Link? Or just reading that from your internet guidebook? (the wording is a bit awkward)

Which countries did he reduce troops in? By how many?
    The Count provided the numbers that prove it.
    You can find them here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...57#post6876857

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Count provided the numbers that prove it.
    You can find them here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...57#post6876857
    Thank you for sharing that information which totally backs your claim about Trump reducing troops.

Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

What's incontrovertible is that Trump has increased the number of troops in every warzone. Everything beyond that is speculation.

Thank you for sharing that information which totally backs your claim about Trump reducing troops.
    I made a time specific claim that has nothing to do with the quote you quoted.

Trump did deploy enough troops to wipe out the reductions he had been piling up in order to avoid starting a new war in which far more troops would have been deployed.

Trump will get back to reducing the deployed troops soon, we will be leaving Afghanistan entirely soon now that the nearly completed deal talks are back on.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump did deploy enough troops to wipe out the reductions he had been piling up in order to avoid starting a new war in which far more troops would have been deployed.

Trump will get back to reducing the deployed troops soon, we will be leaving Afghanistan entirely soon now that the nearly completed deal talks are back on.
    Man you are stretching to try to make a point. And it isn't working. Also noting your lack of facts to back up your claims- instead just repeating them. Doesn't the guidebook have alternative phrasing if the readers catch on?

I was only quoting a link you provided. What time and what data is there to support your "time specific claim"?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Lightbulb John F'n Kerry clone - a Flippin' and a Floppin'

President Donnell was for withdrawing troops before he was against it. The GOP' version of John F'n Kerry.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

Trump is:

President Trump made an unannounced trip to Afghanistan on Thursday, his first as president, to visit troops for the Thanksgiving holiday. There, Trump said peace talks with the Taliban had resumed, speaking at a US air force base alongside Afghan president Ashraf Ghani.
    Trump landed at Bagram Airfield around 8:30 pm local time Thursday and greeted U.S. soldiers over a turkey dinner before meeting with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani at the airfield’s Air Force headquarters.
    ��MOMENTS AGO��
    President @realDonaldTrump visits U.S. Soldiers at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.... pic.twitter.com/HpHd6PxEqn
    — Dan Scavino Jr.���� (@Scavino45) November 28, 2019

Following a meeting with Ghani, Trump told reporters that the Taliban “wants to make a deal” and that US officials were "meeting with them." Trump also said that the Taliban was willing to agree to a ceasefire: "The Taliban wants to make a deal and we’re meeting with them and we’re saying it has to be a cease-fire, and they didn’t want to do a cease-fire and now they want to do a cease-fire - I believe it’ll probably work out that way."
    Trump also said that the US will continue to reduce its troop commitment to the region, from 12,000 now to about 8,600, but would like to go lower without impacting operational duties. “We can go much further than that, but we’ll have it all covered,” Trump said. [That is without a deal, they will all leave with a deal]

Speaking to the US troops, Trump reiterated that they’re working for a peace deal in Afghanistan. “Rest assured that my administration will always be committed to annihilating terrorists wherever they appear,” he said, adding that he looked forward to the day “when we can bring each and every one of you home and safe to your family, and that day is coming and coming very soon.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ban-talks-have
    The proof is in the pudding. I will believe it when I see it. Sounds like both sides extorting each other. Taliban won't settle until they get their deal & we won't leave until we get ours.
    Where is John Galt?

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The proof is in the pudding. I will believe it when I see it. Sounds like both sides extorting each other. Taliban won't settle until they get their deal & we won't leave until we get ours.
    Taliban knows US wants to leave. They have no incentive to make any concessions.

Taliban knows US wants to leave. They have no incentive to make any concessions.
    Right, because the dollars will stop coming if we leave. They will continue to sacrifice some chump with a suicide vest to ensure we stay and spend on the corrupt government there.
    Where is John Galt?

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

Believing it when you see it is fair.
    But you asked why we aren't talking about it and Trump IS talking about it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But the Afghan government is being left out of the talks despite it being their country. That makes the talks kinda pointless. Over Thanksgiving Trump declared that talks had already started up again when they had not. Both sides were surprised to hear the news.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast