Center-right candidate Luis Lacalle Pou won Uruguay's presidential election Thursday after his rival conceded, bringing an end to 15 years of leftist rule in the South American country.Daniel Martinez, candidate for the ruling Broad Front, recognized that an ongoing vote recount would not affect his already slim chance of victory and conceded.
"We greet president-elect Luis Lacalle Pou, with whom I will have a meeting tomorrow," Martinez wrote in a tweet. "I thank everyone who placed their trust in us by casting their vote for us from the bottom of my heart."
The National Party acknowledged victory in a tweet saying: "Now it's our turn, let's celebrate everybody's Uruguay!"
The news set off a cacophony of horn blowing in downtown Montevideo by Lacalle Pou supporters.
Lacalle Pou, a business-friendly conservative, will take power on March 1 at the head of a right-wing coalition of five parties.
The president-elect has been holding talks with party leaders on the makeup of the new government.
Ernesto Talvi, leader of the Colorado Party, is expected to be named Uruguay's foreign minister, the daily El Pais reported.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/conservative-...204703329.html