Thread: Ohio town votes to dissolve local government over unwanted income tax

Ohio town votes to dissolve local government over unwanted income tax

Most of the residents of Amelia, Ohio, found out about a new 1 percent income tax last year via a letter in the mail. The village council had voted to impose the new tax without input from the public.

That decision sparked a contentious political drama in the village that resulted in the total disbanding of the community, the New York Times reported.
    Residents of the now-former village of Amelia voted to disband the village this month — a village that had existed since 1900. The village will be divided between two townships. Some residents simply felt the village represented an extra, unnecessary layer of government that was wasting their money.
    "That's just too many layers of fat," resident and salesman Ed McCoy said. "The best way to get rid of that fat is to start at the bottom."
    Amelia is a community of about 5,000 people with a median income of $61,500. The community was financially stable, but the new local income tax pushed many residents over the edge of being fed up with the local government. However, not everyone supported the dissolution of the village, and the election cycle leading up to the vote was extremely contentious.

"This election was worse than any presidential election I've ever seen in my life," local business owner Steve Crawford said.
    The final vote in favor of disbanding Amelia was 893-419. The village's seven police officers and some other local government employees will lose their jobs as a result of the decision, as the community will rely on either the townships or the county for services previously provided by the village. But for some residents, that's preferable.

More at: https://www.theblaze.com/news/ohio-t...ted-income-tax
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But Johnny Parsons, 59, an insurance salesman, remained confident that the village did not provide anything he could not get for cheaper somewhere else. A supporter of President Trump, he celebrated by taping a piece of paper over his red hat so that it read "Make Amelia Great Again."

"If you give people back more of their earnings, they can live a better lifestyle and buy things for their kids," he said, instead of funding what he viewed as "endless stupidity and reckless spending."
    "The Patriarch"

What about their roads????

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    the community will rely on either the townships or the county for services previously provided by the village.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It is possible the solution could be worse than the problem. Maybe one day when a few things need addressed some people get together and enact new government or HOA or ??? that is worse than the previous. It take a village. What about the children? If only we save one child. Safety!!! Need to keep you safe! In a nanny state nannies gonna nanny.

I would imagine a legitimate city/village/town is entitled to some monies doled out by the state or federal government. It would not be smart to not receive back some pittance of the amount the higher governments have extorted. Do residents still have property tax? There probably needs to be some type of paperwork and minutes and management to keep the cash trickling.

: packingbags:

A 1% income tax to a local municipality?

I'm not familiar with 'Villages' , I've never heard of an income tax for other than State/Fed....

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    A 1% income tax to a local municipality?

I'm not familiar with 'Villages' , I've never heard of an income tax for other than State/Fed....

They are using it to pay for barney fife evidently
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Per Wikipedia:

When I was growing up in Upstate New York, the State was divided into Counties which were divided into Towns. The rural village I lived in spanned two towns and had a population of roughly 2,500. It was the marketplace for the farms in the two towns that surrounded it, and it's where the central school district was located. No income tax - though it did collect property taxes which were utilized to build and maintain roads, as well as the water and sewer systems, and pay the village police (one chief and one deputy - picture Andy Griffith and Barney Fife). The fire department, rescue squad and library were volunteers and funded by community donations (though I think they're all receiving tax funding now). It had a couple of paper mills, a couple of textile mills (before that industry moved to the Southern US) - all ran on power from the kill (river) than ran through it. There was a small feeder railroad line that serviced it and a neighboring village, and fed into the main railway hub 30 miles to the south. I vaguely recall that, in the 50's, the main street was brick and had trolley tacks down the middle.

But they also exist in metropolitan areas: think Greenwich Village on Manhattan's West Side
    Thanks, Greenwich Village is a familiar place, not one that I've been to but obviously of
    some historical notoriety, I just thought that was it's name , not some kind of
    municipal designation.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They are using it to pay for barney fife evidently
    Barney still has that bullet in his shirt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    @TheTexan
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

St. Louis and Kansas City both have local income taxes ... but I've never heard of it for small municipalities (they tend to be funded by property taxes and sales taxes).
    We get fleeced everywhere, it's just a never ending expansion and inflation, a lot of the out of state
    things I'm buying on ebay and amazon are starting to sneak in sales taxes.
    One extremely annoying feature , beyond extreme is that you don't see that tax until you've
    committed to buy , so you are obligated to pay that tax and of course complete the transaction.

On a side note, speaking of taxes, there should never be a tax on a primary residence, that literally
    makes us all renters to our government landlords.

Oh , and one more tax; Bio Degradable goods, aaaaackkkk, this makes us have to throw out the
    junk they sell us as it bio degrades;

Two personal experiences;

1 Windshield washer fluid in a one gallon container, after years in my Metal storage cabinet , it leaked and
    ruined the cabinet.

2 A Roughneck brand 40 + - Gallon Plastic Container completely disintegrated , not left out in the sun ,
    just a few years old.

Sneaky ways of chipping away at our quality of life.

Now that’s grassroots.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

All the people that live in that town are true patriots.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    No police, no roads....

May God have mercy on their souls.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

St. Louis and Kansas City both have local income taxes ... but I've never heard of it for small municipalities (they tend to be funded by property taxes and sales taxes).
    Seems I remember Philly having them , I am thinking chicago and NY also have municipal cigarette taxes. At least St Louis used to have Griesedieck Beer , it is though illegal there to drink beer from a bucket on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-02-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    Do something Danke

They tend to be informal, a larger and more populated version of a hamlet - the municipal designation comes along when they incorporate. It's akin to the same distinction that Richard Pryor had his Mudbone character make (as the character was drunk and directing traffic)
    Slow down fool! This is a neighborhood - ain't no residential district!
    Mudbone