Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gov. Matt Bevin pardons man serving life sentence for sex abuse of 6-year-old stepdaughter

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    It's the MSM and Democraps all up in arms about this, isn't it? I saw this same article posted at Democratic Underground. I believe some group of lawyers is challenging his pardons, as well. Anyway, who is it that's trying to normalize the sexualization of children and is deliberately corrupting their innocence? It's liberals. Worse, they take pleasure in the destruction of innocence. So, these are the same people bent about this pardon and that should be considered. I'm stating that they don't care about this case and it appears to be a political attack.

It's a massive mistake to let political inclinations influence your thinking on something as complicated as a criminal case like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The two statements are not contradictory. While saying any attack that seems political should be taken into account, the actual case should be judged on the evidence and I don't think anyone here knows anything about the case. I'm not assuming anything and don't feel inclined to dig into it because it would be very time consuming.

Just heard a report about this on Fox News. It mentioned the group of lawyers (didn't catch who they are) and had brief clips of a (D) prosecutor and McConnell, both saying they disagreed with the pardons. There may be some there there as all of the crimes mentioned were very violent. While I know nearly all convicts of violent crime claim to be innocent, in reality it's probably a small percentage so it seems reasonable to question what Bevins has done. I would never take a prosecutors word for it on any of the cases, though.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And, FTR, I'm not a bleeding heart and think all premeditated violent crimes should get life or close to it. Psychopaths, sociopaths and narcs cannot be cured and those personality disorders are often present in violent offenders. They do not have a conscience. Pedophiles, same thing on long sentences. They can't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Matt Bevin was a great governor and believer in redemption and Lord Jesus Christ.
    Is that relevant to these pardons, do you think? As in do you think his belief in redemption would influence him to let a guilty offender go free? That's important because redemption (not his to give) is a whole lot different than genuinely innocent.

Is that relevant to these pardons, do you think? As in do you think his belief in redemption would influence him to let a guilty offender go free? That's important because redemption (not his to give) is a whole lot different than genuinely innocent.
    i believe in what I read in that is a bit of both. He may believe in innocence but also redemption for these felons. The media are spinning it.

i believe in what I read in that is a bit of both. He may believe in innocence but also redemption for these felons. The media are spinning it.
    Well, I haven't taken the time to ever about the various cases but caught that Fox report and all of the crimes mentioned were horrible, including someone being dismembered. If any of those convicts are actually guilty, he must be out of his mind to pardon people like. That's libtard sh** to think psychopaths can be redeemed, rehabilitated or should be walking around free.

Well, I haven't taken the time to ever about the various cases but caught that Fox report and all of the crimes mentioned were horrible, including someone being dismembered. If any of those convicts are actually guilty, he must be out of his mind to pardon people like. That's libtard sh** to think psychopaths can be redeemed, rehabilitated or should be walking around free.
    Bevin claims that all of the cases had reason to doubt the correctness of the verdicts.

I can't say whether he is right or wrong since I don't know the details but so many pardons doesn't look good and at least one of them he didn't explain.

Right or wrong I think his career is over.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    only a real $#@! wouldn't quote this part:
    The other side of the story. OP must have not seen the information before posting, I am sure he would make a correction very soon

Bevin claims that all of the cases had reason to doubt the correctness of the verdicts.

I can't say whether he is right or wrong since I don't know the details but so many pardons doesn't look good and at least one of them he didn't explain.

Right or wrong I think his career is over.
    The odds against several who have been convicted of violent crimes ALL being innocent are huge. I don't know anything about Bevins but if he pardoned a bunch of psychopaths because Jesus, that is nuts.

I follow the occasional violent crime and am particularly interested in the psychology of both criminals and victims. In the cases of people who are obviously guilty, it can't be understated how deranged and dangerous they are. The deal in the OP, about the little girl, seems less certain (without being familiar with the case) but now I'm curious about the other ones he pardoned. Cases where someone chopped up the victim are usually pretty cut and dried (no pun intended!) and Fox News mentioned one like that.

The odds against several who have been convicted of violent crimes ALL being innocent are huge. I don't know anything about Bevins but if he pardoned a bunch of psychopaths because Jesus, that is nuts.

I follow the occasional violent crime and am particularly interested in the psychology of both criminals and victims. In the cases of people who are obviously guilty, it can't be understated how deranged and dangerous they are. The deal in the OP, about the little girl, seems less certain (without being familiar with the case) but now I'm curious about the other ones he pardoned. Cases where someone chopped up the victim are usually pretty cut and dried (no pun intended!) and Fox News mentioned one like that.
    If they were so pardon worthy why didn't he pardon them before now?
    Waiting until he is on the way out (and probably was already not going to be in politics anymore) to pardon hundreds at once makes it look much worse.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bevin issued 15 other pardons on Friday, including one for Justin Derrick Wibbels, who was convicted of wanton murder in Laurel County in 2015. Jerry Thompson was killed in 2014 when his vehicle was struck by a car driven by Wibbels.

The governor wrote that Wibbles "was involved in a tragic accident and has been incarcerated as a result of his conviction for wanton murder. This was not a murder."

Bevin also pardoned five women who had their sentenced commuted by former governors — four by Steve Beshear and one by Ernie Fletcher — each of whom had been a victim of domestic violence convicted of killing her abuser.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ld/4296423002/

Those sound, possibly, reasonable.

If they were so pardon worthy why didn't he pardon them before now?
    Waiting until he is on the way out (and probably was already not going to be in politics anymore) to pardon hundreds at once makes it look much worse.
    I don't know. I'm just looking at articles right now:

According to The Courier-Journal, the former governor approved 428 pardons and commutations since his loss to Democrat Andy Beshear, according to a report from The Courier-Journal. The paper points out that, “The beneficiaries include one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents.”

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/why-di...ent-criminals/

Yikes!

Bevin issued 15 other pardons on Friday, including one for Justin Derrick Wibbels, who was convicted of wanton murder in Laurel County in 2015. Jerry Thompson was killed in 2014 when his vehicle was struck by a car driven by Wibbels.

The governor wrote that Wibbles "was involved in a tragic accident and has been incarcerated as a result of his conviction for wanton murder. This was not a murder."

Bevin also pardoned five women who had their sentenced commuted by former governors — four by Steve Beshear and one by Ernie Fletcher — each of whom had been a victim of domestic violence convicted of killing her abuser.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ld/4296423002/

Those sound, possibly, reasonable.
    I'd bet many of them are.

But some of them look corrupt or like he is just pardoning anyone for whom the slightest doubt can be imagined from a leftist defense lawyer's point of view.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Although he didn’t refer to the case by name, Beshear referred to the pardon of Dayton Ross Jones, who pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a 15-year-old male. The criminal act was featured on video and shared on social media, according to the Kentucky New Era. Jones was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2016.

While he didn’t refer to the case by name, Beshear mentioned the pardon of Dayton Ross Jones, who pleaded guilty to the 2014 sexual assault of a 15-year-old boy. The act was captured on video and shared on social media, according to the Kentucky New Era, and Jones was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2016.

“A young man was attacked, was violated, it was filmed, it was sent out to different people at his school,” Beshear stated. “It was one of the worst crimes that we have seen.”

Kentucky’s attorney general’s office, which Beshear was the previous head of, prosecuted the case.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/why-di...ent-criminals/

OMG

These are the murder cases:

The former governor also commuted the sentence and granted a full pardon to a man convicted in a Knox County murder back in 2009.

Daniel Grubb was convicted in 2010 of murder and tampering with physical evidence in the death of Jeremy Johnson.

Police say Grubb killed Johnson and then buried the body following an argument over pulls and money.

The former governor’s pardon states that “no greater degree of justice or rehabilitation will be gained by extending Daniel Grubb’s time in prison. There will, however, be negative impacts of others, not the least of whom is Daniel’s son Chase.”

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Be...566086571.html

Oh, yeah, little Chase is really going to benefit from a relationship with his dad the murderer.

WTFingF??? What on earth is Bevin thinking?

These are the murder cases:

The former governor also commuted the sentence and granted a full pardon to a man convicted in a Knox County murder back in 2009.

Daniel Grubb was convicted in 2010 of murder and tampering with physical evidence in the death of Jeremy Johnson.

Police say Grubb killed Johnson and then buried the body following an argument over pulls and money.

The former governor’s pardon states that “no greater degree of justice or rehabilitation will be gained by extending Daniel Grubb’s time in prison. There will, however, be negative impacts of others, not the least of whom is Daniel’s son Chase.”

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Be...566086571.html

Oh, yeah, little Chase is really going to benefit from a relationship with his dad the murderer.

No greater degree of justice?

What does he think is the proper justice for murder? a fine?

There will be negative impacts for Chase and many others because he is let out, if the evidence was sufficient to overcome any doubt the beast should have been executed for a greater degree of justice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Here's the guy who killed his parents. Was angry at his dad but doesn't know why he killed his mom:

http://peacecorpsonline.org/messages...9/2015726.html

He did it. No doubt about it. This guy should NOT be released.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's Chase's dad. I'd call this white trash crime. Pretty good account of what went down. Victim may have needed killing and I was about ready to cut the killer some slack until the part where he jumped up and down on the body (his best friend, mind you) because grave hole was too small. That seems pretty callous, lol:

https://www.thetimestribune.com/news...e5ed21ab0.html

This might make a good movie.

The FBI wants to know:

The FBI is asking questions about the pardons Matt Bevin issued during his last weeks as Kentucky governor, the Louisville Courier Journal of the USA TODAY Network has learned.
    State Rep. Chris Harris, D-Forest Hills, told reporters that a criminal investigator contacted him last week and asked what he knew about Bevin's pardons.
    Harris did not elaborate on what questions were asked, and he declined to say which law enforcement agency contacted him.
    "I can confirm that I have been contacted by someone looking into the pardons that were issued by Gov. Bevin on his way out the door," he said. "The impression I got is that there was an investigation ramping up."

Two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told The Courier Journal on Monday that an FBI agent had spoken with Harris. A spokeswoman with the FBI office in Louisville did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.
    Bevin has received national criticism for pardoning or commuting the sentences of more than 650 people following his failed reelection bid in November.
    State prosecutors and leaders such as U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have condemned several of Bevin's decisions, particularly his pardon of Patrick Baker, who had served two years of a 19-year sentence for reckless homicide and robbery in the slaying of a Knox County man in front of his family.
    The Courier Journal reported on Dec. 11 that Baker's brother held a campaign fundraiser at his home for Bevin in July 2018 that raised $21,500. The former governor also received a letter from business executive Terry Forcht, one of the state’s Republican mega-donors, urging Bevin to pardon Baker.
    Forcht has given at least $2.8 million to state and national political causes in the last 40 years, including more than $100,000 to Bevin's campaign and inauguration funds.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/amid-claims-p...020750513.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Some of the pardons Bevin issued were for people convicted by Andy Beshear's office when he was the Attorney General of Kentucky. If the FBI is investigating these pardons, will they find something hinky about the convictions achieved by Beshear's office? Also, the new attorney general who has taken over Beshear's previous job is a fresh-faced Republican, Daniel Cameron. Will Daniel Cameron co-operate with the FBI? Handing over documents of these cases?

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    Last edited by revgen; 12-24-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    Some of the pardons Bevin issued were for people convicted by Andy Beshear's office when he was the Attorney General of Kentucky. If the FBI is investigating these pardons, will they find something hinky about the convictions achieved by Beshear's office? Also, the new attorney general who has taken over Bashear's previous job is a fresh-faced Republican, Daniel Cameron. Will Daniel Cameron co-operate with the FBI? Handing over documents of these cases?

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    Bevin is making noises that may confirm some of your thoughts but some of the pardons just don't sound right.
    Bevin has welcomed an investigation and denied political gifts had anything to do with his pardons.
    "You will see people subpoenaed, you will see people deposed, you will see people convicted," he predicted.
    "If the truth comes out, there will be people involved in this process on the other side of the equation that have very good reason to be very concerned right now. And some of them are the loudest people right now, and for good reason."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wow, the plot thickens. That's great if any of the prosecutions were frame jobs and he's trying to right that but he should have stated such. I don't believe that's the case with a number of them, though. I think he was playing Jesus and he has no right to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Yes... so at 20 she realizes that when she was 6 she wasn't actually raped? Thanks to indirect contact with her rapist, of course.

"Hey, it's the judge who convicted your rapist dad, remember me?"

How does that conversation then lead to a recantation?

She probably drank too much apple juice and was dressed slutty and invited her stepdad up to her bedroom, then filed a false rape accusation against him when the other 2nd graders found out.
    So let me get this straight. Your belief is this judge is evil too? Here is another explanation. Reviewing the case the judge realized it was bvllshyt. As a former criminal defense attorney I have seen some bvllshyt convictions. If one of those judges grew a conscience later in life that would be a good thing.

Edit: But even if you think the judge is evil, it's understandable that Gov Bevins doesn't share your view.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Bevin can pardon who he likes according to the state constitution. The FBI can get to f*ck.

Bevin can pardon who he likes according to the state constitution. The FBI can get to f*ck.
    Agreed and I don't know why they're involved as investigators.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bevin can pardon whomever he wants. But he can't take bribes to do so.

Bribery is difficult to prove. You have to prove the intent behind the donations to a political candidate. Unless intent is written down or spoken on record or more than one eyewitness testifies to the exchange, you don't have anything you can use in court.

Agreed and I don't know why they're involved as investigators.
    Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    Bevin can pardon whomever he wants. But he can't take bribes to do so.

Bribery is difficult to prove. You have to prove the intent behind the donations to a political candidate. Unless intent is written down or spoken on record or more than one eyewitness testifies to the exchange, you don't have anything you can use in court.
    The FBI is either playing politics and dogpiling on Bevin now that he gave them an opening or they are working with Bevin and investigating him is the excuse to look into some of the cases he issued pardons for.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bevin: Pardons a convicted murderer after the murderer's brother held a fundraiser for his campaign
    RPF: I see no problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Bevin: Pardons a convicted murderer after the murderer's brother held a fundraiser for his campaign
    RPF: I see no problem here
    Link to the news story. I only heard about the rape one and I don't really have a problem with it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast