Thread: Pro-China Forces ‘Annihilated’ in Hong Kong Election

Pro-China Forces ‘Annihilated’ in Hong Kong Election

Initial results from Sunday’s election in Hong Kong indicate that pro-democracy forces have handed Chinese ruler Xi Jinping a stunning setback. Pro-Beijing candidates are going down to defeat in District Council elections, the first real test of sentiment in the territory since protests began in April over the introduction of a bill authorizing extraditions to mainland China.
    So far, pro-Dems have won 88.6 percent of the vote for 452 seats on 18 District Council boards. They have so far taken 351 seats versus 45 for the “establishment” forces. “Absolute political annihilation for the pro-Beijing camp” is how Stephen McDonell, a BBC China correspondent, described the result on Twitter. Tom Mitchell of the Financial Times called it a “Himalayan-sized avalanche.”
    Turnout was a record 71.2 percent, well ahead of the previous high mark of 47.1 percent set in 2015, the year after the 79-day “Occupy” protests. A record 4.13 million people, in a region of 7.40 million, were registered to vote this year.
    The District Councils, responsible for routine municipal services, have little power, but the Sunday elections took on significance, widely seen as a referendum on various matters because they are the only government bodies in Hong Kong whose members are elected by universal suffrage. “Sunday’s vote,” CNN noted on the eve of the election, “offers the first objective test of how people in the city feel about the protests and the government.”
    Therefore, Carrie Lam, the chief executive of the territory, and by extension Beijing, had much at stake. And so did youthful black-clad protesters, who have employed increasingly destructive and violent tactics in more than five months of continuous demonstrations. The rallying cry of some China-friendly candidates was “Kick out the black force.”
    Voters, in fact, kicked out China’s friends, including the high-profile Junius Ho, an establishment heavyweight. Pro-Beijing forces, holding 327, or almost three-quarters, of the seats prior to the election, controlled all the District Councils.

More at: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...election-99337
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So i guess Hong Kong doesn't mind being puppets to Britain and America again and going for regime change wars?
    I am sure Sen McCain would be very happy about what is happening there.
    Making sure that everything in the world get turned into Pro America debt slave or a became puppet to NATO or Britain for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    So i guess Hong Kong doesn't mind being puppets to Britain and America again and going for regime change wars?
    I guess they prefer that to being absolute slaves and chattel to the CCP.
    I doubt it, he sold out to the commies in Nam.
    Making sure that everything in the world get turned into Pro America debt slave or a became puppet to NATO or Britain for that matter.
    It beats making sure everyone in the world is enslaved by the CCP.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I guess they prefer that to being absolute slaves and chattel to the CCP.

I guess the so called protesteors prefer to slave debt owners and their high cost of living to jump even higher once they realize once they join with the Britannia and America is no longer honey and Milk the only ones who gain benefits from this regime change are the opposition officials as they bonus from the American officials and NGO organizations.

Ordinary Chinese people will always suffer the consequences while the traitors live in gated communities pretending to care about their people.

Yes he would he spoke to to Hong Kong so called opposition which your side is backing a few years back.

@Swordsmyth
    I am sure the Japanese people must be loving and supporting America right? dont kid yourself with nonsense. "The world would be better if America controls it!"

It seems NeoCons like you never learn.

Mainland China is run by Mandarins. Hong Kong is majority Cantonese. It's a mistake to think that everybody opposing Mandarin rule is pro democracy. That may be true for Hong Kong but it's not true for China's Muslim ethnic enclaves or for the Tibetans etc. What these regions that might want to break way all have in common is disdain for the domination by the Mandarin majority.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The councils don't really have much power but it was a major statement of dissatisfaction with China.

I guess the so called protesteors prefer to slave debt owners and their high cost of living to jump even higher once they realize once they join with the Britannia and America is no longer honey and Milk the only ones who gain benefits from this regime change are the opposition officials as they bonus from the American officials and NGO organizations.
    The ChiComs are fr worse the the west and you know it, that's why you never discuss them and only focus on the problems of the west.

Ordinary Chinese people will always suffer the consequences while the traitors live in gated communities pretending to care about their people.
    You have just described the CCP perfectly.

Yes he would he spoke to to Hong Kong so called opposition which your side is backing a few years back.
    It doesn't really matter what side he would be on because there are terrible people on both sides but his public support might have been cover for working against them, the DC swamp has been in bed with the Chicoms for a long time and that hasn't changed.
    @Swordsmyth

I am sure the Japanese people must be loving and supporting America right? dont kid yourself with nonsense. "The world would be better if America controls it!"

It seems NeoCons like you never learn.
    I never said the world would be better if America controlled it, I said it would be much worse if the ChiComs controlled it and that is true.

It seems commies like you never learn.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.