Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Debuts New Cyber Truck- Demos Armor Glass by Breaking It

Tesla Debuts New Cyber Truck- Demos Armor Glass by Breaking It

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am guessing he is pissed..

Glass manufacturer is going to hear about it..

The glass specified was bullet resistant,,9mm proof.

Such glass is widely available,, but that was not what was installed..

Looked like what I had in Florida for window treatment (Hurricane)..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Stolen from Twitter:

"Look! Elon has invented a ball that can shatter bulletproof glass!"

Minds have been manipulated if the masses would call that truck attractive.

Thomas Massie on Tesla Cybertruck

(a snippet from the article)
    Congressman Thomas Massie on Tesla Cybertruck, preferring Model S to Model 3
    Charles Benoit
    Nov. 22nd 2019 3:09 pm ET

Q: So, first thoughts on the Tesla Cybertruck?

A: First impression is that I like that it’s stainless steel. For a lot of electric cars, the life of the drivetrain is measured in decades. It’ll outlast the body. So stainless steel was a good choice. I’m very interested to see the towing setup. I need it to pull a fifth wheel trailer. I drive a 240-mile roundtrip with a loaded 16’ foot cattle hauler, so I’m eager to see what kind of range I’d get. I’m also really curious about Tesla’s ‘Cyberquad’ ATV. I have a Polaris Ranger that I’ve been planning on EV converting.

Q: Can you tell us more about converting your Polaris ATV?

A: I’d use two Tesla Model S battery modules. The Model S pack has 16 modules, I’d use two them, run it at 48V, and probably use the Briggs and Stratton 48V electric motor that’s out there. I already have one for my son’s go-kart. Two modules would equal 10kWh of capacity.

Q: What about using a Model 3 battery?

A: The Model 3 battery is less hacker-friendly (hacking being a good thing, despite its bad name these days) because it has 4 modules instead of 16, and the modules aren’t all the same voltage. Each Model S battery module is 24V, you can wire them up easily in a number of configurations. The Model 3 battery has 4 modules, and they’re all higher voltage than most off-the-shelf commercial inverters today. It doesn’t lend itself to compatibility with 48V. You see this reflected on eBay, the Model S battery goes for more.

Q: Have you considered trading in your Model S for a Model 3 so you can add to your home energy storage?

A: I’ve tried the Model 3, but I prefer the Model S. I think Tesla nailed it with the Model S. I much prefer the ride quality. I’m keeping my 2012 Model S for now...

https://electrek.co/2019/11/22/congr...l-s-to-model-3

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I Like it.. Give it a Space Cowboy theme

Some might find the Bollinger "attractive". It is more Utilitarian looking..

I would have to give it a Who paint-job and call it "Happy Jack".
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Design budget: $47 US Dollars.

They donated $47.00 to a High School Sheet Metal Class for supplies, so they could design/build
    the body for this 'Dream' Truck....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For consideration

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Ford has one coming and GM just announced theirs.. Literally every manufacturer..

Bollinger's offering ,,

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

This was so painful to watch and you can tell from Elon's reaction that this was an incredibly humiliating live demo failure. In high-tech, live demos of products that are still in development are always high-risk affairs and more than one CEO has ended up with egg on their face. Elon has joined the pantheon of CEOs humiliated by live demo failures. I feel huge sympathy for Elon in that moment after the glass shattered twice and, all in all, he handled it as well as it could be handled. There are lessons here for everyone from marketing to engineering to future CEOs. The moments after the glass shattered on stage are what being the face of a company is really all about. It's about pulling through the failures, picking up the pieces, making the best of it, and moving on.

For engineers, this demo goes to illustrates several important principles (all of which Tesla/Space-X engineers already know but failed to apply in this demo). First, a single test proves nothing. If you can make a rocket engine that outputs X pounds of thrust during one test run, this does not prove that it can or will always produce X pounds of thrust in every test. You have to make a statistically significant number of runs and treat the data from these runs like you would any other kind of statistical sample. That is you have to take into account error margins, accuracy, precision, deviation, and so on. They performed a test throw of the metal ball on the Cybertruck window right before the demo. Cool. Did they perform multiple test throws? Did the earlier test throw(s) introduce microscopic weaknesses in the glass that caused the on-stage failure?

Second, the way that a material behaves under ideal conditions does not automatically tell you how it will behave under applied conditions. In the drop test, the demo team unclamped the shatter-proof glass before dropping the steel ball. This allowed the glass to deform and transfer the kinetic energy in the shockwave to the boundaries of the glass sheet which is why the glass "bounced" after being hit by the steel ball. The boundary conditions of the Cybertruck's glass were fixed so that it could not transfer the kinetic energy from the shockwave produced by the steel ball to its edges and this must be a contributing factor in the failure of the glass on-stage. Of course, this moots the claim that the Cybertruck's glass is shatter-proof to large steel balls repeatedly thrown at it and it certainly couldn't reduce the shade of red in Elon's cheeks the moment after that second window broke.

For marketing people, it is important to understand that engineering is always, always, always a numbers game, especially during R&D. The reliability of modern, mass-manufactured cars and computer is something that we take for granted but very few of us properly realize that this rock-solid reliability is nothing short of a miracle. Material properties change at cross-purposes across the range of operating temperatures of any piece of equipment. One miracle of modern engineering is how the behavior of these various materials is aligned so that the equipment operates as intended. As your engine heats up, the expansion of the case increases the pressure on the outer rings of the bearings holding the crankshaft which makes their operation more reliable, not less. There are countless such "quirks" of material properties that play a role in the performance of your automobile, an engineering miracle made all the more remarkable by how silently and invisibly this is all handled!
    Last edited by ClaytonB; 11-23-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Ford has one coming and GM just announced theirs.. Literally every manufacturer..

Bollinger's offering ,,
    And how many of them will roll over?

And how many of them will ever leave the pavement?

This could exceed 25 mpg and can go around a paved corner faster than any pickup, SUV or minivan. It's air conditioned, can either seat nine or tote sheet rock, and weighs in at under two tons. Isn't a shame that manufacturing and selling new ones is against federal law?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

What I don't get is why he didn't do the glass test in private first.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And how many of them will roll over?
    You can do something Phucking stupid with any vehicle.. under any power..

What is your point?? (btw,, low center of Gravity makes them naturally roll resistant)

I am more interested in the Homegrown (Hacking) angle..

There are so many variable configurations,, it will be interesting to see what works best..

And conversions could keep nice Old Iron on the roads,,under efficient power.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Puzzled too,,

unless the windows he had planned were scrubbed by the DOT. or will be an option rather than standard..

I would have personally shot several test windows before installing,, but I don't work for the guy..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

What is your point?? (btw,, low center of Gravity makes them naturally roll resistant)
    Cars not only handle better, and cars with that wide a base are not only more roll resistant, both of which make them safer, but they're lighter for what they do, therefore they're more efficient, they're easier for the handicapped to enter and exit, they're more comfortable.

The government pretends these things are important to them, yet they persist in using CAFE (which doesn't apply to trucks of Class Two and up) to force us out of cars and into Class Two trucks.

That's what the smart money will be doing. Less weight, more comfort, greater stability. Choose the right vehicle and modify it intelligently, and it'll suit your needs in a way the government won't allow a new car to do.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This could exceed 25 mpg
    Never seen it.. though 18 was good for them..

and that was cool when Gas was less than $1.

Got an old Taurus that gets 25,, and can't afford gas for that.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Never seen it.. though 18 was good for them..
    Had a '69 Charger that could do it--vacuum advance, points, carburetor--on the highway. Had 2.73 gears and overdrive.

I did say "could", and I had in mind what you did...

As for the Ford Bull, you can run into parking lot light poles at jogging speed and not hurt it. Do you know how much weight that adds to the car? Do you need it? I don't. Why is it mandatory? Because insurance companies?

That's what the smart money will be doing.
    VW is the easiest and most common (kits and such)

but Literally anything can be re-powered.. and I am expecting to see Hemp based Graphene have a huge impact on price of Batteries and Supercaps...

Portable power storage has always been the ONLY drawback to electric.. and that is changing.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The Taurus I have right now would be a Perfect Conversion,, if it was not rusted the phuck out.

Nice road manners,, comfortable sedan.. Front wheel drive...

Could pull the cast iron weight out of the front and replace it with a Tesla drive unit.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...g2vtng005spjr3

Remove Gas tank and exhaust system.. Add Batteries.

Yeah.. it would take $$$.. and I don't see gas going down from the current $3.50 a gal.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The Taurus I have right now would be a Perfect Conversion,,
    Meh.

To my mind that very particular wagon I posted a pic of is perfect, because it gives you the space of an SUV on the weight of a minivan (less than many minivans). A 3.9 Dodge Magnum V-6 and overdrive Torqueflite from the 1990s would just almost bolt right in.

Yeah, you have to crank your own windows while you're getting over 25 mpg. And so do your passengers. All eight of them.

And if you buy the right modern tires, outrunning BMWs through the curves.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.

And if you buy the right modern tires, outrunning BMWs through the curves.
    I remember a hot Rod Vista Cruiser that was fast,,, but no Phucking way would it keep up to any sports car. of any breed. and not that Wagon either..(our Family Car)
    My Vega would have eaten it in corners.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

BMWs through the curves.
    Volks,,Pikes Peak Record

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Puzzled too,,

unless the windows he had planned were scrubbed by the DOT. or will be an option rather than standard..

I would have personally shot several test windows before installing,, but I don't work for the guy..
    They did but this goes to show that there's much more to testing than just doing a dry-run. Tesla/Space-X definitely understand this fact but, for some reason, they neglected to apply enough rigor to this risky demo. Definitely a PR disaster...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually kind of like it. Even though I am normally someone that likes things refined and I can be very critical on details.

This thing however, looks like what it is. Huge and strong. It's a bit of modern art you can drive pretty much anywhere. I'd drive one. Parking here would suck though with a car that wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Design budget: $47 US Dollars.

They donated $47.00 to a High School Sheet Metal Class for supplies, so they could design/build
    the body for this 'Dream' Truck....

There may be one or two more things to make it a more attractive car. But the overal simplicity of the style is commendable. I don't particularly like the design of the other Teslas, the Model-S is okay-ish. The model-3 is damn ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Everybody is talking about it, right ? Next time they get the good stuff in there, it works...

Bad marketing can be good marketing.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually kind of like it. Even though I am normally someone that likes things refined and I can be very critical on details.

This thing however, looks like what it is. Huge and strong. It's a bit of modern art you can drive pretty much anywhere. I'd drive one. Parking here would suck though with a car that wide.

There may be one or two more things to make it a more attractive car. But the overal simplicity of the style is commendable. I don't particularly like the design of the other Teslas, the Model-S is okay-ish. The model-3 is damn ugly.

Everybody is talking about it, right ? Next time they get the good stuff in there, it works...

The '3' reminds me of a circa 2001 Saturn something........

I like the hatchback feature , the 10 spoke rims, and the huge media display on the
    S, overall styling looks reasonable.

They should make electric vehicles with Solar Panel body panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    The '3' reminds me of a circa 2001 Saturn something........

I like the hatchback feature , the 10 spoke rims, and the huge media display on the
    S, overall styling looks reasonable.

They should make electric vehicles with Solar Panel body panels.
    If you're a regular driver solar panels don't make a difference. I like the stainless 'will last a lifetime' appeal of the car. Might have to get a new motor or battery pack but overall this is a little back to before, where the skeleton lasts forever.

If it's affordable overhere I'll buy one, but here we have taxes on cars, making nice cars more expensive, much more.
    "I am a bird"

I remember a hot Rod Vista Cruiser that was fast,,, but no Phucking way would it keep up to any sports car. of any breed. and not that Wagon either..(our Family Car)
    My Vega would have eaten it in corners.
    An Oldsmobile?

You're doubting my word that I've flown by BMWs in corners in a Plymouth torsion bar cop suspension wagon because once you drove a fat, wallowing, seasickness-inducing Oldsmobolts?

If you're a regular driver solar panels don't make a difference. I like the stainless 'will last a lifetime' appeal of the car. Might have to get a new motor or battery pack but overall this is a little back to before, where the skeleton lasts forever.

If it's affordable overhere I'll buy one, but here we have taxes on cars, making nice cars more expensive, much more.
    I didn't feel that I should go into my usual rant about solar panels being woefully inefficient and my comment
    qualified with 'future' (when they are improved to an efficient level of performance), but yea I agree,
    they're not there yet, and I don't think when you factor in the recycling farce and environmental
    impact of actually doing that recycling , we are so not there yet.

Delorean did a stainless, it's a good idea.

Shame you have these 'taxes', we are screwed by the new China Tariffs similarly , we are hurt,
    as well as the Chinese workers and manufacturers , not the Chinese govt.

I believe the electric motor in the Tesla would last dozens of years, not so much the battery though, nor
    the charging system.
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 11-24-2019 at 08:19 AM.

I see what you mean. It looks like a modern day pizza oven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast