Thread: Serbia's president accuses Russia of spying

Serbia's president accuses Russia of spying

Serbian intelligence agencies have uncovered a wide-ranging intelligence operation involving Russian spies and members of the Serbian military, President Aleksandar Vucic said on Thursday.Vucic's remarks came after a meeting of the National Security Council which he convened after a video showing a Russian intelligence officer handing money to a Serbian man in Belgrade was made public on YouTube over the weekend.
    The video, which was not made by Serbian agents, showed a man identified as Lt. Col. Georgy Kleban, a former assistant military attache at Russia's embassy in Belgrade, meeting a Serbian retired army officer, whom Vucic identified only as Z.K.
    Vucic said the meeting took place last December. He did not say who had made the video.
    Serbian agents who followed Z.K. could not carry out video surveillance of Kleban and his Serbian source "except from afar" as the Russian officer had his own protection detail. But they were more successful in other cases, Vucic said.
    "On several occasions, Serbian security agencies gathered audio and video evidence of contacts between Lt.Col. Kleban and members of the Serbian army," Vucic told a news conference.
    The incident has the potential to sour relations between Serbia and Russia, who are old allies.
    The two Slavic and Orthodox Christian countries have strong political, military, cultural and economic ties. Moscow backs Belgrade in refusing to recognise the independence of Kosovo, a former Serbian province.
    Vucic said Serbian agents also had evidence concerning other Russian spies. "There have been 10 contacts with three sources," he said.
    He also accused military representatives of some Western countries of spying on Serbia.
    But Vucic said the spy scandal should not harm relations between Serbia and Russia, adding he was sure that "President (Vladimir) Putin was not informed about this".
    "We will not change our policy towards Russia, which we see as a brotherly and friendly country ... but we will strengthen our own intelligence defences."
    "There was only thing I have asked the Russian ambassador today - I've only asked him - Why?"

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/3-serbias-pre...201120129.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nobody likes Aleksandar Vucic in Belgrade, during my vacation i saw a number of protests that were never broadcasted nor shown by the Serbian news outlets because he controls several outlets.
    Aleksandar Vucic is showing his true colors of a thief and puppet whom would sellout his country if he hasn't already. Under his admin and rule many middle class, poor Serbian families are just barely surviving on the streets.
    Vucic's favorite thing to do? lie and lie in front of fake, paid supporters who scream for him. And deny that he owns the media of course.

Serbia also has an election coming up next year so seeing him accuse Russia of spying on Serbia is not a surprise.

Opponents, Supporters Of Serbian President Vucic Rally Before State TV Appearance

The protesters said they came to ask the president questions that RTS isn’t allowed to ask because it provides favorable coverage to him and his administration.
    Source

There were more Anti Vucic then pro.