Thread: Antifederalist (prophets)

Antifederalist (prophets)

https://fee.org/articles/the-antifed...ily-prophetic/

Their Oppositions to the Constitution
    Antifederalists opposed the Constitution on the grounds that its checks on federal power would be undermined by expansive interpretations of promoting the “general welfare” (which would be claimed for every law) and the “all laws necessary and proper” clause (which would be used to override limits on delegated federal powers) creating a federal government with unwarranted and undelegated powers that were bound to be abused.
    One could quibble with the mechanisms the Antifederalists predicted would lead to constitutional tyranny. For instance, they did not see that the Commerce Clause would come to be called “the everything clause” in law schools, justifying almost any conceivable federal intervention—because the necessary distortion of its meaning was so great even Antifederalists couldn’t imagine the government could get away with it.

And they could not have foreseen how the 14th Amendment and its interpretation would extend federal domination over the states after the Civil War. But despite that, it is very difficult to argue with their conclusions in light of the current reach of our government, which doesn’t just intrude upon, but often overwhelms Americans today.

Therefore, it merits remembering the Antifederalists’ prescient arguments and how unfortunate is the virtual absence of modern Americans who share their concerns.

One of the most insightful of the Antifederalists was Robert Yates, a New York judge who, as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, withdrew because the convention was exceeding its instructions. Yates wrote as Brutus in the debates over the Constitution. Given his experience as a judge, his claim that the Supreme Court would become a source of almost unlimited federal overreaching was particularly insightful.
    Expanded Judicial Power.

[more in the article]

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I do verily believe that if the principle were to prevail of a common law being in force in the United States (which principle possesses the general government at once of all the powers of the state governments, and reduces us to a single consolidated government), it would become the most corrupt government on the earth.”--Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Like the NFL, people, including some on this very RPF forum, need a team to root-toot for, even when the same statist rules apply. Individualism is a wicked, dirty word when trying so hard to feel belonged by a team.

Oh, sure... voting, scape-goating, court system, etc... to work out the bugs/flaws under the same umbrella to keep folks under the illusion that it is the best system they could ever ask for.

.Individual
    ....Individualism
    ........Individualist

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

What's written on paper doesn't determine what states actually do.

Since the federal state here doesn't abide by the existing constitution, I don't know why people think it would have abided by any alternative one.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    What's written on paper doesn't determine what states actually do.

Since the federal state here doesn't abide by the existing constitution, I don't know why people think it would have abided by any alternative one.
    Because an alternative one could have provided less excuses and more penalties for violating it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Because an alternative one could have provided less excuses and more penalties for violating it.
    I'm sure that the people entrusted with interpreting that constitution would have routinely convicted and punished themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I'm sure that the people entrusted with interpreting that constitution would have routinely convicted and punished themselves.
    It would have been easier to make that happen or it would have been easier to replace them with "a little revolution now and then" for blatantly violating with no "interpretation" to excuse them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It would have been easier to make that happen or it would have been easier to replace them with "a little revolution now and then" for blatantly violating with no "interpretation" to excuse them.
    Well, that's a nice and naive thought.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.