Thread: Donald Trump reverses plans for flavoured e-cigarette ban

Donald Trump reverses plans for flavoured e-cigarette ban

Flip flopper in Chief at it again.

President Donald Trump has reversed plans to ban flavoured e-cigarettes amid a national youth vaping crisis, US media report.

He announced plans for a ban in September, but reportedly decided not to enact it this month because of possible job losses and voter pushback.

Thousands of lung injuries have been attributed to vaping this year.

Mr Trump last week said he would meet industry and medical professionals to find "an acceptable solution".

"Children's health & safety, together with jobs, will be a focus!" he tweeted on 11 November.

The concerns about jobs and voters were raised by advisers during a 4 November flight to a Kentucky campaign rally, the Washington Post newspaper reported on Sunday.

It quoted Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale as saying that a ban of flavoured e-cigarettes could hurt the president in key states in the 2020 election.

Mr Trump decided not to sign off on a "decision memo", fearing potential job losses and voter anger, the newspaper reported. The New York Times also reported that "allies working for the vaping industry" had warned him that such a move could cost him support.

First Lady Melania Trump and the president's eldest daughter, Ivanka, had advocated the ban.

E-cigarettes are battery-powered smoking devices filled with a liquid that contains nicotine, which is then heated into vapours that users inhale.

As of November, over 2,000 Americans have been affected by lung injuries attributed to vaping, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

More than half of those affected are between 13 and 24-years-old.

Forty-two deaths have been confirmed in 24 states and more are under investigation.

A senior official told the Washington Post that Mr Trump "didn't know much about the issue and was just doing it for Melania and Ivanka".

In September, Mr Trump told reporters his administration would implement strong rules to protect "innocent children", like his 13-year-old son Barron.

"We can't allow people to get sick and we can't have our youth be so affected," he said, adding that First Lady Melania Trump, who made a rare appearance during the policy announcement, felt "very, very strongly" about the issue.

"People are dying with vaping so we're looking at it very, very closely."

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said at the time a policy would be drafted within a few weeks.
    More at link. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...eporting-story
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-18-2019 at 05:53 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, it's fake news zippy at it again..

He never said he was going to ban flavored e-cigs. I said that when all the fake news people like zippy were saying he was saying it. He never said it. Go back to the thread and listen to the video. Trump said he was going to be looking at it more closely. Then he had some toolbag come on and talk about banning flavored e-cigs. Trump never said he was going to do that.

Guess who said Trump WOULD NOT ban flavored e-cigs?

Me.

I said he never said he would ban flavored e-cigs, which is 100% accurate, and I also said that he would not ban flavored e-cigs, which is 100% accurate.

Zippy is 100% Fake News, and that is also 100% accurate.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Zippy why do you hate Trump so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    As of November, over 2,000 Americans have been affected by lung injuries attributed to vaping synthetic marijuana, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
    Fixed it for you. Don't vape black market marijuana cartridges.

I used vape products to quit smoking cigarettes over 15 years ago now.

I no longer vape or smoke cigarettes.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Flip flopper in Chief at it again.

More at link.
    What link?

I don't want to click it. I just want to see which British source you're using this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Zippy why do you hate Trump so much?
    Because Zippy wishes he can be an alpha male like our president.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    It's a good thing Rand is Trump's friend.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vapin...rette-n1086851

Trump's pick to lead the FDA wants 'aggressive action' on e-cigarette flavors

President Donald Trump's nominee to be the next head of the Food and Drug Administration told a group of senators Wednesday that he supports "aggressive action" to address the nation's teen vaping epidemic.

But Dr. Stephen Hahn stopped short of explicitly saying flavored e-cigarettes should be banned. Instead, Hahn repeatedly told the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee that he will rely on "science and data" in making decisions intended to protect the next generation from nicotine addiction.

"I think this is an important, urgent crisis in this country," Hahn said. "We do not want to see another generation of Americans addicted to tobacco and nicotine, and I believe we need to take aggressive action to stop it."

Hahn currently serves as chief medical executive at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, a highly respected oncology institution. He specializes in lung cancer, and told the committee he's "seen the ravages of tobacco-related" diseases firsthand.

Senators on both sides of the aisle pushed the physician on whether he would be able to stand up to both tobacco lobbyists and a president who may disagree with Hahn on the subject of vaping.

In September, Trump announced he would ban all e-cigarette flavors in an effort to curb skyrocketing teen vaping rates. So far, he has declined to act on that promise.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, brought up the "enormous political pressure" Hahn would face if confirmed. "Is there anything keeping you from making the decision to ban these flavored products?" Romney asked.

"I will use science and data to guide the decisions. I won’t back away from that. I’m a father, soon to be a grandfather. And I take that very seriously," Hahn answered.

He added that he has not discussed a potential flavor ban with Trump. The FDA has authority over tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes.

"Are you willing to say to the president what you believe the science and data is on banning this, or will you just take what the president tells you to do and implement it?" Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., asked.

"Throughout my career, using data and science and the law, I've had conversations with people about what I think is best," Hahn said. "And I do look forward and will have those conversations."

Overall, Hahn appeared to have wide bipartisan support during the hearing. He could be confirmed by the end of this year.

If that happens, he will enter the position amid a national outbreak of severe and deadly lung diseases linked to vaping. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported 2,172 cases.

And at least 45 people have died. Wednesday, health officials in New York announced that a man in his 30s had died from the illness called EVALI, short for e-cigarette, or vaping, associated lung injury.

In a statement, the New York Department of Health said it's "continuing its robust investigation into the cause of these illnesses, but in the meantime our message on vaping remains unchanged: if you don't know what you're smoking, don't smoke it."

Also in the Senate hearing Wednesday, Hahn expressed his commitment to work with Congress on a wide variety of public health topics: safety of generic drugs, drug shortages, availability of affordable insulin, drug pricing, effective pain management and appropriate opioid usage.

Hilarious

Dems will say Trump is promoting the death of teens by not banning vapes

Republicans will say Trump is right, we need to regulate Vapes

Zippy wants to parrot the DNC talking point but he is here on RPF, where we don't support bans, so he just says Trump is flip flopping.

You're so predictable ZIP. Try something new, ok?

but zip will ignore this post, as well as all the other posts I make calling him out (and others). Its a predictable trend now.

Trump was never going to ban vapes, you have to be an idiot (zip?) to take those fake news headlines here on RPF and start multiple threads on how Trump was going to ban vapes.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll