Thread: McConnell: Senate Will 'Have to Have a Trial' if House Votes to Impeach Trump

McConnell: Senate Will 'Have to Have a Trial' if House Votes to Impeach Trump

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell rejected the idea of the Republican-led Senate swiftly voting on articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump to avoid a formal trial.

“I don’t think there’s any question that we have to take up the matter. The rules of impeachment are very clear, we’ll have to have a trial,” McConnell said on Wednesday, The Hill reported. “My own view is that we should give people the opportunity to put the case on."

McConnell continued, “On the issue of how long it goes on, it’s really kind of up to the Senate. People will have to conclude, are they learning something new? At some point we’ll get to an end.”

Public hearings began on Wednesday as part of the House Democrats' impeachment inquiry against Trump.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said he doubts that a trial could be avoided in the Senate if the House votes to impeach Trump.

“There’s some people talking about trying to stop the bill, dismiss charges basically as soon as they get over here. I think that’s not going to happen -- that would require 51 votes,” Cornyn said.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/mcconne...impeach-trump/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    McConnell would love to see Trump get impeached.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

If the case against Trump is as unfounded as his apologists claim, then they should welcome a Republican-led trial in the Senate as a golden opportunity to embarrass the Democrats and counteract what they say is happening in the House. Putting the evidence favoring Trump in full display should be more beneficial for him and other Republicans than immediately dismissing the case would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    If the case against Trump is as unfounded as his apologists claim, then they should welcome a Republican-led trial in the Senate as a golden opportunity to embarrass the Democrats and counteract what they say is happening in the House. Putting the evidence favoring Trump in full display should be more beneficial for him and other Republicans than immediately dismissing the case would be.
    If the RINOs in the Senate could be trusted I would agree.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Mcconnell wants power, and he is old. The only reason he is running for re-election is because he believes there is a strong chance Trump will win 2020 and Mcconnell. Given the current conditions, he will remain majority leader.

There is also a strong chance Trump will win back the house.

Thus, Mcconnell has no reason to impeach Trump.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Mcconnell wants power, and he is old. The only reason he is running for re-election is because he believes there is a strong chance Trump will win 2020 and Mcconnell. Given the current conditions, he will remain majority leader.

There is also a strong chance Trump will win back the house.

Thus, Mcconnell has no reason to impeach Trump.
    I agree. I think it would be political suicide for anyone but a few republicans from some Northeastern States. Even lil' Lindsay sounds fired up to fight the circus sideshow going on.
    "The Patriarch"

i see more threads with the words impeach and impeachment in the header....

Good! A trial is the last thing the Democrats want. It will only expose them, and keep their candidates off the campaign trail.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.