Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Bolivian coup plotters were School of the Americas grads,served as attachés

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Nobody is arguing with that.
    You entered a conversation that was about whether Lula (a communist) was a saint because he opposed Israel and whether Bolsonaro (someone who is reducing government and increasing liberty) is the devil because he is friendly with Israel.
    You don't get to change the subject.
    You don't get to define the terms of the debate. It isn't confined to your perimeters.
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You don't get to define the terms of the debate. It isn't confined to your perimeters.
    The conversation already had a subject before you barged in, you don't get to change the subject in the middle of the conversation without even giving notice that you are now discussing something else.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The conversation already had a subject before you barged in, you don't get to change the subject in the middle of the conversation without even giving notice that you are now discussing something else.
    Barged in? I started this thread.
    "The Patriarch"

You didn't start the conversation about Bolsonaro vs. Lula.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Piss off.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    In Brazil, it is Trump’s long-time friend and adviser, the billionaire Carl Icahn, who will profit from the new policies of the Bolsonaro administration.
    Icahn will also profit from the 25% tariff on steel, and exemption for Brazil, from the Trump administration: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6736726
    Bizarre, it sometimes happens that shortly after I post something, “news” with similar “keywords” is published…

Today, Donald Trump announced on Twitter to restore tariffs on Argentina and Brazil, calling out the countries for devaluing their currency.
    Trump tweeted:
    Brazil and Argentina have been presiding over a massive devaluation of their currencies. which is not good for our farmers. Therefore, effective immediately, I will restore the Tariffs on all Steel & Aluminum that is shipped into the U.S. from those countries
    Carl Icahn had profited from the US importing about 3.8 million metric tons of steel from Brazil this year, about 3.5% of the 110 million tons of steel consumed in the US per year.

No information on how high the tariffs will be: https://business.financialpost.com/n...-swipes-at-fed
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Question

LOLOL

You have the right to tell the OP to shut up by right of prior threadjack? Do your threadjacks overrule the OP to the point where you can demand a new thread title?

What, exactly, prevents that from being an $#@! assumption? Or, to put it another way, who else would make that assumption?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-02-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

To me it looks like the dirt poor Bolivia was doing relatively well in the period that Morales was president.

Bolivia had an average population growth of 1.9% per year from 2000 to 2016

In 2004, in a referendum a majority of Bolivians voted for expanding state control over the hydrocarbons sector.
    In May 2006, then newly-elected president Evo Morales renationalized Bolivia’s oil and gas industries. This has increased tax revenue, to spend on Bolivia’s government policy.

Bolivia also greatly expanded its international reserves, which has allowed Bolivia to gain its independence from the IMF.
    Bolivia’s international reserves are currently at more than 48% of GDP, which is relatively high.

While our wonderful media often claim that nationalisations is the end of attracting international investment, Bolivia had the highest level of foreign direct investment in South America, as percent of GDP, in 2013.

Head of the Economic Commission on Latin America and the Caribbean Alicia Barcena has praised Bolivia for decreasing economic inequality.
    From 2005-2014, the real minimum wage in Bolivia increased by 87.7%.

In 2008, the US added Bolivia to its list of countries that had “failed demonstrably” to fight drugs. Bolivia has remained on the list, despite having considerably reduced the amount of coca cultivation: http://cepr.net/blogs/the-americas-b...o-in-10-graphs
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    LOLOL

You have the right to tell the OP to shut up by right of prior threadjack? Do your threadjacks overrule the OP to the point where you can demand a new thread title?

What, exactly, prevents that from being an $#@! assumption? Or, to put it another way, who else would make that assumption?
    I never told him to shut up and I wasn't the one who changed the subject.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    To me it looks like the dirt poor Bolivia was doing relatively well in the period that Morales was president.

In 2004, in a referendum a majority of Bolivians voted for expanding state control over the hydrocarbons sector.
    In May 2006, then newly-elected president Evo Morales renationalized Bolivia’s oil and gas industries. This has increased tax revenue, to spend on Bolivia’s government policy.

Bolivia also greatly expanded its international reserves, which has allowed Bolivia to gain its independence from the IMF.
    Bolivia’s international reserves are currently at more than 48% of GDP, which is relatively high.

While our wonderful media often claim that nationalisations is the end of attracting international investment, Bolivia had the highest level of foreign direct investment in South America, as percent of GDP, in 2013.

Head of the Economic Commission on Latin America and the Caribbean Alicia Barcena has praised Bolivia for decreasing economic inequality.

In 2008, the US added Bolivia to its list of countries that had “failed demonstrably” to fight drugs. Bolivia has remained on the list, despite having considerably reduced the amount of coca cultivation: http://cepr.net/blogs/the-americas-b...o-in-10-graphs
    I think you have this site confused with CummunistForums.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I never told him to shut up and I wasn't the one who changed the subject.
    Your spin is turning mighty slow.

I think you have this site confused with CummunistForums.
    I notice you didn't address anything he posted, just went straight to the communism slant.

I think you have the site confused with Free republic.
    "The Patriarch"

I notice you didn't address anything he posted, just went straight to the communism slant.

I think you have the site confused with Free republic.
    I don't waste my time on people who claim communism is good for a country.

The same kinds of claims were made about Venezuela and every other communist country that destroyed itself.

Communists are good at spending and redistributing wealth and that can give a temporary burst of "prosperity" but it destroys the economy in the long run, they also lie about their economic statistics.

Why am I the only one on a "libertarian" site that is opposing the communist?
    Oh! I forgot, liberty = Death to Israel! and nothing else.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We're supposed to leave your every half-thought-out utterance you make unchallenged because you sprinkle anti-communist plaritudes in here and there? Or because you pretend you're the only member speaking out against the stuff?

You seem to be having a spin crisis today.

We're supposed to leave your every half-thought-out utterance you make unchallenged because you sprinkle anti-communist plaritudes in here and there? Or because you pretend you're the only member speaking out against the stuff?

You seem to be having a spin crisis today.

Let me know when you argue with firestarter about the glories of communism.

Nobody but me ever disagreed with him when he supported WOTUS and condemned Trump for getting rid of it, he spews communism unopposed around here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Nobody but me ever disagreed with him when he supported WOTUS and condemned Trump for getting rid of it, he spews communism unopposed around here.
    Is there a cliff notes version of this wall of text? https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ted_states.pdf
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't waste my time on people who claim communism is good for a country.

The same kinds of claims were made about Venezuela and every other communist country that destroyed itself.

Communists are good at spending and redistributing wealth and that can give a temporary burst of "prosperity" but it destroys the economy in the long run, they also lie about their economic statistics.

Oh! I forgot, liberty = Death to Israel! and nothing else.
    Your delusions of grandeur used to be amusing, now they're just annoying.
    "The Patriarch"

Is there a cliff notes version of this wall of text? https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ted_states.pdf
    On Thursday, the Interior Department proposed easing rules on oil and gas drilling for millions of acres of range in the West. And as soon as next week, the Environmental Protection Agency is expected to unveil its proposed rewrite of a major 2015 Obama rule that extended federal protections to thousands of waterways and wetlands.
    Supporters and opponents expect the overhaul of the national water rule could go even further, also changing aspects of how the U.S. enforces the 1972 Clean Water Act, one of the country's foundation environmental measures. Environmental groups say the rewrite could lift federal protections for millions of miles of streams and wetlands in the lower 48 states.
    The broad outline of the administration water rule to emerge so far points to "an unprecedented rollback of Clean Water Act protections," said Jan Goldman-Carter, senior director of wetlands and water resources at the National Wildlife Federation.
    The pending water rule changes and other major rollbacks already announced give big wins to energy companies, farmers, builders and others who've fought for decades against environmental rules they see aimed at stalling or stopping projects until developers give up.

A set of White House talking points for the proposed new water rule obtained by the Associated Press says the Trump administration would remove federal protections for waterways including isolated wetlands and ponds and creeks that run only after rain or snowmelt, among others.
    Up to 60 percent of the stream miles in the continental U.S., not counting Alaska, and more than half of the wetlands appear to potentially be affected, Goldman-Carter, with the National Wildlife Federation, said.
    The overhaul, commanded by Trump in a 2017 executive order, deals with what kinds of waterways fall under protection of the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Many farmers, miners, builders and others loathe the federal protections for remote creeks and seasonally dry frog ponds, seeing the water protections as unjustified federal barricades to plowing or building on their own private property.
    "The previous administration's 2015 rule wasn't about water quality," the White House's talking points say, making an argument that the EPA's Wheeler has echoed in meetings around the country on the pending water proposal.
    "It was about power - power in the hands of the federal government over farmers, developers, and landowners," the unreleased administration statement says.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-adm...-politics.html
    The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced that the Obama administration’s 2015 Waters of the U.S. rule (WOTUS) rule would be redefined and no longer protect many of the nation’s streams and wetlands.

Under the Trump administration’s proposal, which Common Dreams reported as imminent last week, streams that flow only after rainfall or snowfall will no longer be protected from pollution by developers, agricultural companies, and the fossil fuel industry. Wetlands that are not connected to larger waterways will also not be protected, with developers potentially able to pave over those water bodies.

EPA Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler suggested that WOTUS had created unfair roadblocks for industries, farmers, and ranchers who wanted to build and work near the nation’s waterways and were kept from doing so because of the potential for water pollution.

More at: https://www.globalresearch.ca/in-ear...erways/5662694

Wheeler and R.D. James, assistant secretary of the Army for civil works, signed a document overturning the rule and temporarily restoring an earlier regulatory system that emerged after a 2006 ruling from a sharply divided Supreme Court.
    The agencies plan to adopt a new rule by the end of the year that is expected to define protected waterways more narrowly than the Obama policy.
    The Clean Water Act requires landowners to obtain federal permits before developing or polluting navigable waterways such as rivers and lakes. But disputes have long persisted over what other waters are subject to regulation — particularly wetlands that don't have a direct connection to those larger waters, plus small headwater streams and channels that flow only during and after rainfall.

Wheeler said regulators had gone far beyond the intent of Congress under the 1972 clean water law.
    "The 2015 rule meant that more businesses and landowners across the U.S. would need to obtain a federal permit to exercise control over their own property, a process that can cost tens of thousands of dollars and take months or even years to complete," he said. "It also put more local land-use decisions in the hands of unelected bureaucrats. Many Americans balked at this idea, and rightfully so."
    President Donald Trump had ordered the EPA and Army Corps to develop a replacement policy that has a more restrictive definition of protected wetlands and streams.

Zippy Duvall, president of the American Farm Bureau Federation, said the 2015 rule had generated a greater sense of urgency among its membership than any other issue.
    "When you take the private property rights from a man that's worked all his life ... to grow the food and fiber for all of us to sit down and enjoy three times a day, it's something he just can't stand," Duvall said.

Sen. John Barrasso, a Wyoming Republican and chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, applauded the Trump administration move, saying the Obama rule "would have put backyard ponds, puddles and prairie potholes under Washington's control."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-adminis...144829727.html
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-02-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You just don't undetstand the terrible, terrible burden he bears being the only one standing between us and communist hell. He's so put upon.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    You just don't undetstand the terrible, terrible burden he bears being the only one standing between us and communist hell. He's so put upon.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So it's still not a done deal. I'm hopeful, my poor mom went through hell after they designated her property a wetland. It was ridiculous.
    "The Patriarch"

Show me posts where he pontificated about the glories of communism. I must have missed them.

But then I don't scrutinize every post here.
    "The Patriarch"

So it's still not a done deal. I'm hopeful, my poor mom went through hell after they designated her property a wetland. It was ridiculous.
    Those are old posts, I haven't heard anything in a while but SCOTUS declared it unconstitutional so it's dead one way or another.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Show me posts where he pontificated about the glories of communism. I must have missed them.
    Originally Posted by Firestarter

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Um, opposing totalitarianism and opposing Trump is kinda the same damned thing. And claiming Trump isn't authoritarian because there are bigger authoritarians is about as not helpful as cheering for Trump to do authoritarian things--like regime change in Bolivia.

But you know. If a RWSJW self-identifies as our Lord and Saviour, only a fool tries to reason with him.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-02-2019 at 08:58 PM.

That doesn't strike me as pontificating about the glories of communism, rather rebutting the bull$#@! by people cheering on our intervention.
    "The Patriarch"

That doesn't strike me as pontificating about the glories of communism, rather rebutting the bull$#@! by people cheering on our intervention.
    Read carefully:

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Um, opposing totalitarianism and opposing Trump is kinda the same damned thing.
    Not when you are opposing him for decreasing government as firestater did about WOTUS.

And claiming Trump isn't authoritarian because there are bigger authoritarians is about as not helpful as cheering for Trump to do authoritarian things--like regime change in Bolivia.
    Please point out where I said either thing.
    When I have something good to say about Trump it's about things he does to reduce government etc. and I specifically oppose any foreign meddling in this thread and elsewhere.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Read carefully:

Didn't Gaddafi do basically the same thing? Why do we have to bring someone down when they do this in their country? What business is it of ours?
    "The Patriarch"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast