Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Bolivian coup plotters were School of the Americas grads,served as attachés

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Top Bolivian coup plotters were School of the Americas grads,served as attachés

Top Bolivian coup plotters were School of the Americas grads, served as attachés in FBI police programs

The US played a key role in the military coup in Bolivia, and in a direct way that has scarcely been acknowledged in accounts of the events that forced the country’s elected president, Evo Morales, to resign on November 10.

Just prior to Morales’ resignation, the commander of Bolivia’s armed forces Williams Kaliman “suggested” that the president step down. A day earlier, sectors of the country’s police force had rebelled.

Though Kaliman appears to have feigned loyalty to Morales over the years, his true colors showed as soon as the moment of opportunity arrived. He was not only an actor in the coup, he had his own history in Washington, where he had briefly served as the military attaché of Bolivia’s embassy in the US capital.

Kaliman sat at the top of a military and police command structure that has been substantially cultivated by the US through WHINSEC, the military training school in Fort Benning, Georgia known in the past as the School of the Americas. Kaliman himself attended a course called “Comando y Estado Mayor” at the SOA in 2003.

At least six of the key coup plotters were former alumni of the infamous School of the Americas, while Kaliman and another figure served in the past as Bolivia’s military and police attachés in Washington.

Within the Bolivian police, top commanders who helped launch the coup have passed through the APALA police exchange program. Working out of Washington DC, APALA functions to build relations between US authorities and police officials from Latin American states. Despite its influence, or perhaps because of it, the program maintains little public presence. Its staff was impossible for this researcher to reach by phone.

It is common for governments to assign a few number of individuals to work at their country’s embassies abroad as military or police attachés. The late Philip Agee, a one-time CIA case officer who became the agency’s first whistleblower, explained in his 1975 tell-all book how US intelligence traditionally relied on the recruitment of foreign military and police officers, including embassy attachés, as critical assets in regime change and counter-insurgency operations.

As I found from the more than 11,000 FOIA documents I obtained while writing my book on the paramilitary campaign waged in the lead up to the February 2004 ouster of Haiti’s elected government and the post-coup repression, US officials worked for years to ingratiate themselves and establish connections with Haitian police, army, and ex-army officials. These connections as well as the recruitment and information gathering efforts eventually paid off.

In Bolivia, too, the role of military and police officials trained by the US was pivotal in forcing regime change. US government agencies such as USAID have openly financed anti-Morales groups in the country for many years. But the way that the country’s security forces were used as a Trojan Horse by US intelligence services is less understood. With Morales’s forced departure, however, it became impossible to deny how critical a factor this was.

As this investigation will establish, the coup plot could not have succeeded without the enthusiastic approval of the country’s military and police commanders. And their consent was influenced heavily by the US, where so many were groomed and educated for insurrection.

Leaked audio exposes School of the Americas grads plotting a coup

Leaked audio reported on Bolivian news website la época (and by elperiodicocr.com and a range of national media outlets) reveals that covert coordination took place between current and former Bolivian police, military, and opposition leaders in bringing about the coup.

The leaked audio recordings show that former Cochabamba mayor and former presidential candidate Manfred Reyes Villa played a central role in the plot. Reyes happens to be an alumni of WHINSEC (the School of the Americas [SOA]) who currently resides in the US.

The other four who are introduced or introduce themselves by name in the leaked audio are General Remberto Siles Vasquez (audio 12); Colonel Julio César Maldonado Leoni (audio 8 and 9); Colonel Oscar Pacello Aguirre (audio 14), and Colonel Teobaldo Cardozo Guevara (audio 10). All four of these ex-military officials attended the SOA.

Cardozo Guevara, in particular, boasts about his connections amongst active officers.

The identities of these individuals are confirmed by cross-checking the data of the Schools of Americas Watch lists of alumni with Facebook and local Bolivian news articles and the leaked audio recordings.

The School of the Americas is a notorious site of education for Latin American coup plotters dating back to the height of the Cold War. Brutal regime change and reprisal operations from Haiti to Honduras have been carried out by SOA graduates, and some of the most bloodstained juntas in the region’s history have been run by the school’s alumni.

continued..http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...lice-programs/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't care.
    Morales was a cheating commie swine.
    Our government shouldn't be interfering in foreign countries and we should do what we can to stop it but I'm not going to shed one tear for Morales or think for one moment that Bolivia would have been better off if he had remained.

Bolivia is better off with Morales gone.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't care.
    Morales was a cheating commie swine.
    Our government shouldn't be interfering in foreign countries and we should do what we can to stop it but I'm not going to shed one tear for Morales or think for one moment that Bolivia would have been better off if he had remained.

Bolivia is better off with Morales gone.
    That's kind of a conflicting statement. You can't really have it both ways. Either you're against our interfering all over the world or you're not.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That's kind of a conflicting statement. You can't really have it both ways. Either you're against our interfering all over the world or you're not.
    I'm against it because we shouldn't be involved but that doesn't mean that the outcome was bad this time or that Morales didn't cheat and shouldn't have been thrown out by the people of Bolivia.
    Because I can't stop intervention by our government right now I also look at the event without considering that aspect and see what happened as a good thing, if some other country had done it or if it had been organic in Bolivia I wouldn't object at all.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The popular view is that anything done by outside intervention, US or otherwise, is therefore wrong. This was a view often promoted by the Soviets during the Cold War (only in relation to US, French, etc intervention, not their own, of course). There was lots of talk of imperialists, capitalist raiders, mega-corporations, and other evil-sounding things. This apparently continues:

As I found from the more than 11,000 FOIA documents I obtained while writing my book on the paramilitary campaign waged in the lead up to the February 2004 ouster of Haiti’s elected government and the post-coup repression, US officials worked for years to ingratiate themselves and establish connections with Haitian police, army, and ex-army officials. These connections as well as the recruitment and information gathering efforts eventually paid off.
    The implication is that there's something wrong with this; that that coup d'etat which the US allegedly caused was for the worse. Was it? I don't know. I'm not a Haiti observer. Given the kinds of governments which Haiti has enjoyed since its independence from France, whatever dictatorship the CIA allegedly foisted upon the island may well have been an improvement - or maybe not. The point is that journalists almost always operate on the unspoken assumption that self-determination trumps all, and impress upon their audiences the idea that any changes wrought by foreign powers are necessarily for the worse. The Chileans (some of them) want to establish a bolshevik regime and slaughter their opponents? Great. What right do we (evil capitalist meddlers) have to interfere...?

Again, I reserve my judgment about this thing in Bolivia; this is a general comment.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The popular view is that anything done by outside intervention, US or otherwise, is therefore wrong. This was a view often promoted by the Soviets during the Cold War (only in relation to US, French, etc intervention, not their own, of course). There was lots of talk of imperialists, capitalist raiders, mega-corporations, and other evil-sounding things. This apparently continues:

The implication is that there's something wrong with this; that that coup d'etat which the US allegedly caused was for the worse. Was it? I don't know. I'm not a Haiti observer. Given the kinds of governments which Haiti has enjoyed since its independence from France, whatever dictatorship the CIA allegedly foisted upon the island may well have been an improvement - or maybe not. The point is that journalists almost always operate on the unspoken assumption that self-determination trumps all, and impress upon their audiences the idea that any changes wrought by foreign powers are necessarily for the worse. The Chileans (some of them) want to establish a bolshevik regime and slaughter their opponents? Great. What right do we (evil capitalist meddlers) have to interfere...?

Again, I reserve my judgment about this thing in Bolivia; this is a general comment.
    Good, then you pay for it. And while you're at it, make sure to let the rest of the world know that this sort of thing doesn't bother you and post your address.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 11-18-2019 at 01:15 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

Good, then you pay for it.
    And take all the credit/blame for the results.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And take all the credit/blame for the results.
    I was editing my post as you typed.
    "The Patriarch"

Good, then you pay for it. And while you're at it, make sure to let the rest of the world know that this sort of thing doesn't bother you and post your address.
    The same applies to you paying for the security of your neighbors one county over.

The same applies to you paying for the security of your neighbors one county over.
    The security of the next county over affects my security far more than the security of Bolivia.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Who says I do?
    "The Patriarch"

Was Saddam an evil dictator? Yes. Is Iraq better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our overthrow of him? No.

Was the Soviet leaning government in Afghanistan bad? Yes. Is Afghanistan better or is the U.S. safer thanks to our funding the Muhjahadeen to overthrow it? No.

Was Moyammar Ghaddafi an evil dictator? Yes. Is Libya better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our overthrow of him? No.

Is Assad an evil dictator? Yes. Is Syria better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our attempt at overthrowing him? No.

How much data do you need before you start to see the obvious trend line?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Was Saddam an evil dictator? Yes. Is Iraq better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our overthrow of him? No.

Was the Soviet leaning government in Afghanistan bad? Yes. Is Afghanistan better or is the U.S. safer thanks to our funding the Muhjahadeen to overthrow it? No.

Was Moyammar Ghaddafi an evil dictator? Yes. Is Libya better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our overthrow of him? No.

Is Assad an evil dictator? Yes. Is Syria better off or is the U.S. safer thanks to our attempt at overthrowing him? No.

How much data do you need before you start to see the obvious trend line?
    I'm talking about a principle, not endorsing any particular intervention.

However, if you want an example of a fairly successful intervention in recent history:

Was Moyammar Ghaddafi an evil dictator?
    It'll always be Burma to me.

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm talking about a principle, not endorsing any particular intervention.

However, if you want an example of a fairly successful intervention in recent history:

Okay. But even that is not an example of an intervention to overthrow a government but rather to defend one. That said Vietnam is a relatively prosperous country despite the fact that we ended the intervention prematurely.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The problem with interventionism is that they are usually done for the benefit of the interventionist country and not the target country. When the US spends millions of dollars and spends lots of political capital to perform a regime change in say Haiti or Venezuela, you better believe that they are planning to extract some benefit from their labour.

This is the problem I have with it. Also nations should be free to self destruct, they wanna implement communism? the Chileans wanna nationalize their copper mines? the US has no right to get in the way of that. Btw, I bet I can manage your life better than you can and I am sure seeing as you love interventionism so much, you would have no issues with me coming over and making a better person out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    nations should be free to self destruct, they wanna implement communism? the Chileans wanna nationalize their copper mines? the US has no right to get in the way of that.
    I'm not in favor of aggression, so I'll have to disagree.

I'm not in favor of aggression, so I'll have to disagree.
    Ok Mr. Kissinger.
    "The Patriarch"

Morales was the one engaged in a coup:

Former Bolivian President Evo Morales ran for a fourth term in office in the October 20 election after forcing the nation’s constitutional court to find that he had a “human right” to run despite constitutional term limits. This weekend, the Organization of American States (OAS) published their preliminary findings from a probe of that election that amassed significant evidence of election fraud. Morales responded to the report by voluntarily resigning, fleeing to Mexico, then declaring that he was the victim of a “coup.”

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...alist-rioters/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Morales was the one engaged in a coup:

Former Bolivian President Evo Morales ran for a fourth term in office in the October 20 election after forcing the nation’s constitutional court to find that he had a “human right” to run despite constitutional term limits. This weekend, the Organization of American States (OAS) published their preliminary findings from a probe of that election that amassed significant evidence of election fraud. Morales responded to the report by voluntarily resigning, fleeing to Mexico, then declaring that he was the victim of a “coup.”

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...alist-rioters/
    You trot out a couple articles from an obvious interventionist at Breitbart and make my case for me. This is a person that was giddy over Bolton. Again, you can't have it both ways. You're either a interventionist or you're not. You can't say you refuse to listen to a "obvious propagandist" then roll out one of your own.
    "The Patriarch"

You trot out a couple articles from an obvious interventionist at Breitbart and make my case for me. This is a person that was giddy over Bolton. Again, you can't have it both ways. You're either a interventionist or you're not. You can't say you refuse to listen to a "obvious propagandist" then roll out one of your own.
    It's a fact that Morales violated their constitution to run again.
    It is also a fact that other communist countries intervene all over the world.

And I don't have to support American involvement to say it is a good thing he is gone.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Those Cubans must have some deep pockets..

Massive Anti-Coup Protests Explode Across Bolivia

Chanting “resign now” to Bolivia’s interim, self-declared president Jeanine Añez, protesters across the Latin American country on Friday made their displeasure with the overthrow of the government by right-wing Christian extremists last Sunday known.

Thousands of demonstrators marched through the cities of La Paz and El Alto. Friday’s protests follow days of unrest as the Bolivian people rejected Sunday’s coup, which forced democratically-elected President Evo Morales to resign and flee the country.

Friday’s demonstrations were a show of force by the Bolivian people against the coup government. Video and photographs from the country showed long stretching lines of people waving the Indigenous wiphala flag and calling for Añez to step down.

https://twitter.com/Gerrrty/status/1195387867595452418

https://twitter.com/yerovietienne/st...01241955897349

https://twitter.com/Gerrrty/status/1195404509914251264

https://twitter.com/jmkarg/status/1195448438906859520
    "The Patriarch"

Those Cubans must have some deep pockets..

Massive Anti-Coup Protests Explode Across Bolivia

Chanting “resign now” to Bolivia’s interim, self-declared president Jeanine Añez, protesters across the Latin American country on Friday made their displeasure with the overthrow of the government by right-wing Christian extremists last Sunday known.

Thousands of demonstrators marched through the cities of La Paz and El Alto. Friday’s protests follow days of unrest as the Bolivian people rejected Sunday’s coup, which forced democratically-elected President Evo Morales to resign and flee the country.

Friday’s demonstrations were a show of force by the Bolivian people against the coup government. Video and photographs from the country showed long stretching lines of people waving the Indigenous wiphala flag and calling for Añez to step down.

https://twitter.com/Gerrrty/status/1195387867595452418

https://twitter.com/yerovietienne/st...01241955897349

https://twitter.com/Gerrrty/status/1195404509914251264

https://twitter.com/jmkarg/status/1195448438906859520
    Bolivia is full of communists, it only takes enough money to pay the ringleaders.

Let me know when you think of a reason Evil Moralless should have been able to violate their constitution and run again.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bolivia is full of communists, it only takes enough money to pay the ringleaders.

Let me know when you think of a reason Evil Moralless should have been able to violate their constitution and run again.
    Let me know when you think of a reason we should be meddling in countries across the globe.
    "The Patriarch"

Let me know when you think of a reason we should be meddling in countries across the globe.
    I don't have one, I said we shouldn't.
    But that doesn't mean I'm going to spend one second crying for a cheating commie swine or think that his overthrow was a bad thing for his country.
    We shouldn't interfere for our own sake whether the result is good or bad but in this case the result was NOT bad.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't have one, I said we shouldn't.
    But that doesn't mean I'm going to spend one second crying for a cheating commie swine or think that his overthrow was a bad thing for his country.
    We shouldn't interfere for our own sake whether the result is good or bad but in this case the result was NOT bad.
    It seems there are a lot of people there who disagree with you. But you like the outcome so $#@! them, it's for their own good.
    "The Patriarch"

And after all that forum drama, we're still interfering around the world unabated. But hey, we can't stop it so pay your taxes and stay out of trouble. How bout them Cowboys?
    "The Patriarch"

And after all that forum drama, we're still interfering around the world unabated. But hey, we can't stop it so pay your taxes and stay out of trouble. How bout them Cowboys?
    I have always done whatever I could to stop it, I can't do any more.
    I hope that is the case with everyone here, I'd hate to think that anybody needed this story to get them to try to stop it as best they can.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast