Thread: Any traders here?

Any traders here?

I've been spending the last few months making a serious go at learning how to trade.
    Is anyone else here a trader?

I've been using Robin Hood to learn with only $50, buying <$5 stocks, a couple shares at a time, to get all the early blow-ups out of the way... so I'm using real money, just not much of it.

I don't want to bump up against the PDT rule, so I'm trying to implement a strategy where I buy down gaps with strong technicals in the hope of a snap back, and ride it out for a day.

If you're trading, ever done anything programatically? I have an E*TRADE acct through work and was thinking about trying to write a program that would automate buying and selling, maybe doing dozens of trades in a day, but that would mean having to actively deal with PDT rule.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not really . When I was younger I was a buyer , When I was older a seller . I do not fool with many at all anymore .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I've been spending the last few months making a serious go at learning how to trade.
    Is anyone else here a trader?

I've been using Robin Hood to learn with only $50, buying <$5 stocks, a couple shares at a time, to get all the early blow-ups out of the way... so I'm using real money, just not much of it.

I don't want to bump up against the PDT rule, so I'm trying to implement a strategy where I buy down gaps with strong technicals in the hope of a snap back, and ride it out for a day.

If you're trading, ever done anything programatically? I have an E*TRADE acct through work and was thinking about trying to write a program that would automate buying and selling, maybe doing dozens of trades in a day, but that would mean having to actively deal with PDT rule.
    I think Robin Hood is structured to allow you to trade at levels just under what would trigger the PDT rules, isn't it?

I like Robin Hood a lot, by the way.

I traded a wool blanket and a pair of mules for Mrs O .
    Do something Danke

I have been investing with brokerage accounts since 2006 2007. I am mainly a dividend value investor but I do invest in trends as well. I went heavy into gold and silver mining stocks in 2019 and over the last year I have been slowly getting out of those positions. I build positions up and then taper them down. I like to wait a year for tax reasons. I got into oil stocks when oil went negative. Then after the covid market correction I bought a lot of positions in companies that can benefit from this (costco,fedex,ups,target, etc) I wont buy drug companies. I also bought a whole market brazilian etf because they announced no lockdowns. It is up 50% already and it pays a dividend. Right now I am building a position in URNM (a uranium etf with a dividend)

For the tax year of 2020 I made a total of almost 20K in passive income. For 2019 it was 14K. It takes about 10 years and you really start seeing a lot of fruit for your investing. (this is realized income)

I was starting to get discouraged in 2016 but I am glad I stuck it out.

Right now there is not a lot of positions I would recommend getting into other then URNM or RJA(rogers agriculteral etf)

If you are in the SP500 I would slowly exit out. What I mean by that is move 5 - 10% out a month. I do see a large correction soon (3 to 6 months) If the correction is a year away then you just took some gains off the table, nothing wrong with that. Most investors do not know how to unwind a position.

GDX and GDXJ have ok entry points. If you want to buy into them, do it slowly as they are in a dip. Go into the position slowly. If you own a lot already I would say to hold.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

The Biden-Harris economy is starting. New taxes, reinstated regulations, new regulations, green new deal.

It will be good for selected cronies. Think Solyndra. Where will the Fed helicopters drop bails of new money? What will Pelosi bury in the next omnibus? What did she hide in the last one?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.