Thread: Facebook and YouTube Purge All Mentions of Alleged Whistleblower’s Name

Facebook and YouTube Purge All Mentions of Alleged Whistleblower’s Name

Big Brother has just shifted into high gear.
    Tech giants Facebook and YouTube announced on Friday that they are removing all content that mentions the name of Eric Ciaramella, the CIA analyst and former National Security Council staffer reported to potentially be the whistleblower whose complaint led to Democrats’ impeachment inquiry into President Trump.
    In a statement, Facebook defended its decision by claiming that naming Ciaramella violates the platform’s “coordinating harm policy,” suggesting the intelligence official’s life could be endangered due to the publicity.

“Any mention of the potential whistleblower’s name violates our coordinating harm policy, which prohibits content ‘outing of witness, informant, or activist.’ We are removing any and all mentions of the potential whistleblower’s name and will revisit this decision should their name be widely published in the media or used by public figures in debate,” said a Facebook spokesperson.
    YouTube followed suit, confirming to CNN that it will use a combination of machine leaning and human review to take down videos that feature Ciaramella’s name in the title, description, or in the video itself.
    Asked whether Twitter will take similar action, the social media company said that simply tweeting Ciaramella’s name is not against its rules.
    Donald Trump, Jr. sparked outrage among members of the media this past week when he tweeted a Breitbart article whose headline included Ciaramella’s name.
    The article, entitled “Alleged ‘Whistleblower’ Eric Ciaramella Worked Closely with Anti-Trump Dossier Hoaxer,” reported on Ciaramella’s relationship with individuals who played key roles in facilitating the infamous anti-Trump dossier produced by Fusion GPS and allegedly financed by the Clinton campaign Democratic National Committee.
    On Friday, Breitbart reported that its posts containing references to Ciaramella were removed from Facebook.
    Wrote Breitbart’s Allum Bohkari:
    Wednesday evening, Facebook removed Breitbart posts reporting on the fact other respected news outlets have reported the identity of the alleged whistleblower is Eric Ciaramella. Any Facebook user who attempts to click on that article on Facebook is now given a message that says, “this content isn’t available at the moment.”
    To be clear, Breitbart did not “out” the alleged whistleblower but did provide additional relevant reporting about him; he is, after all, a public figure, having served on the National Security Council. Moreover, his name has been used in the Mueller report (p283) and Ambassador Bill Taylor’s testimony.
    Administrators of Breitbart News’ Facebook page began receiving notifications on Wednesday evening stating that Breitbart’s page is “at risk of being unpublished” but were not given any details as to why, or even which posts were allegedly at issue. [Emphasis added,]
    Facebook had earlier this week moved to remove paid ads on its platform that named Ciaramella.
    CNN’s report on Facebook and YouTube’s Ciaramella purge curiously states that “no mainstream news organization has identified the whistleblower.” Yet a number of high-traffic publishers from both sides of the political spectrum have named Ciaramella, including Heavy.com, the Washington Examiner, HuffPost, New York Magazine, The Federalist, and the Western Journal.
    CNN states that it “has sent guidance to staff about not repeating any reporting that alleges the name and identity of the whistleblower.” Fox News management has also reportedly forbidden network hosts from using Ciaramella’s name.
    As even NPR has noted, it is not against the law for anyone except the Inspector General to disclose the name of the whistleblower.
    “There is no overarching protection for the identity of the whistleblower under federal law,” said Dan Meyer, former executive director of the intelligence community whistleblower program. “Congress has never provided that protection.”
    Many, including Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.), have called on the whistleblower to make himself known publicly.
    “We also now know the name of the whistleblower,” Paul said at a rally for President Trump. “The whistleblower needs to come before Congress as a material witness because he worked for Joe Biden at the same time Hunter Biden was getting money from corrupt oligarchs. I say tonight to the media, ‘Do your job and print his name!’”
    Paul notably tweeted out a RealClearInvestigations report that names Ciaramella.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...eblower-s-name
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Twitter has suspended or forced users to delete tweets naming the alleged whistleblower who sparked the presidential impeachment inquiry, while stating that it isn’t company policy to do so.
    Several Twitter users said their accounts were suspended for posting the name. One said Twitter later messaged him saying the suspension was “an error.”
    A Twitter spokeswoman told Breitbart: “Per the private information policy, any Tweets that include personally identifiable information about any individual, including the alleged whistleblower, would be in violation of the Twitter Rules.”
    The spokeswoman said posting the name of the person isn’t against the rules.
    Screenshots from a number of users confirm they were suspended for tweets they posted that included the name, and Twitter said it was reviewing what happened in those cases.

More at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/twitte...r_3142921.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did you ever finish scrubbing all your old posts of Anthony Scaramucci's name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    I didn't vote for Trump.
    A POX ON BOTH YOUR PARTIES

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Did you ever finish scrubbing all your old posts of Anthony Scaramucci's name?
    What lie are you spewing now?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What lie are you spewing now?
    I was pretending you have a sense of humor.
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    I didn't vote for Trump.
    A POX ON BOTH YOUR PARTIES

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I was pretending you have a sense of humor.
    You would need one of your own to understand one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A week ago, YouTube and Facebook said they would block people from identifying the government official thought to be the whistleblower who set in motion an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.It hasn’t worked out so well. A name believed by some to be the whistleblower has been shared thousands of times on Facebook. Videos discussing the identity of the whistleblower have been watched by hundreds of thousands of people on YouTube. And images professing to be of the person have circulated on Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, under dozens of hashtags.
    The purported name of the whistleblower appeared on Facebook pages that, combined, were followed by over half a million Facebook users, according to CrowdTangle, a tool that analyzes interactions across the site. It is unclear how many of those users saw the post, but the name was easily searchable within various Facebook pages, including right-wing news sites and an individual running for Congress.
    The failure to keep this official’s name off social media is the latest indication of how difficult it is for these companies to police their sprawling platforms. Armies of human content moderators and screening with artificial intelligence have often proved unfit for the task, particularly when many people are intent on breaking the rules.
    A mishmash of policies and lack of coordination among the companies have added to the challenge. Facebook and YouTube said they would block attempts to name the whistleblower, but Twitter said naming him would not violate their policies, so long as posts did not also have more personal information, like an address or phone number.

But Facebook users, for example, have been creative in their efforts to sidestep the company’s content moderation. They have avoided using the name within the text of their posts, which could alert AI systems screening for it. Instead, they have included it in the URL or inside an image. Others intentionally added characters such as dollar-signs and asterisks to avoid Facebook’s automated moderation.

Twitter, notably, did not block naming the whistleblower. That allowed Donald Trump Jr., who has over 4 million followers, to tweet a name. Numerous conservative commentators spread Trump’s tweet, and began sharing images and videos on social media channels that they believed showed the person’s identity.
    YouTube had taken additional steps to make it difficult to search for the name, removing an autocomplete feature that filled in the name once a person began typing it. If, however, the whistleblower’s full name was already known, users could easily find it.
    On Tuesday morning, the top three videos claiming to share the whistleblower’s name each had over 100,000 views. The videos often avoided using the name in the title over the video. Instead, they shared it in the comments and discussions below the video, where people also linked to blogs discussing the identity. Many videos with the name were taken down after The New York Times asked YouTube about them.
    Facebook was unwilling to comment on whether it was seeing a coordinated effort to spread the whistleblower’s name, but said it would continue to take down content that violated its policies. YouTube did not respond to a request for comment on the videos being shared on its site.
    On Instagram, photographs purporting to show the whistleblower with a number of public figures from the Democratic Party were also widely shared. Earlier in the week, Instagram had blocked searches for the last name being circulated, or for the hashtag #whistle-blower. But on Thursday, it was possible to search on that hashtag, as well as the purported full name or variations of the name. Instagram said it temporarily blocked searches for #whistle-blower while it calibrated its systems to ensure that legitimate searches for the term, or the purported name, were not being affected.
    A Twitter spokeswoman said posting names and images did not violate Twitter rules. She said Twitter bans only specific types of private information, such as sharing a person’s home address, private phone number or government identification without their consent.
    President Donald Trump, and his supporters, have called for the name of the whistleblower to be made public. On Wednesday, during the House’s first public hearing in its impeachment inquiry, Republican members of Congress repeated calls for the whistleblower to be identified.
    The New York Times and most other major news organizations have not named the whistleblower, though The Times and others reported he was a CIA analyst.
    Experts who study the way information moves across social media said that in a number of cases the blogs, photographs and videos were first gaining popularity on Twitter and Reddit, which has also allowed discussions about the whistleblower’s identity.
    Users of Twitter and Reddit were also using those sites to coordinate how to spread the whistleblower’s name on other platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. On one Reddit channel, dedicated to supporting Trump, thousands of people voted on and shared methods by which they had successfully posted the purported whistleblower’s name onto Facebook and YouTube.
    “The information ecosystem is interconnected and related,” Wardle said. “The minute a piece of information is out anywhere, it is game over; that piece of information can spread anywhere.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/whistleblower...130930156.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try and purge the name all you want. You'll never be successful in getting that name out of peoples mouth.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It's funny his name has been out there for weeks now and he's not dead yet. So much for their excuse that he has to be anonymous for his safety. It has nothing to do with the fact that it would hurt their case if he has to testify in person, or that it sounds sexier and more damaging to President Trump to refer to refer to him simply as "the whistleblower". It has an air of respectability that "Democrat operative Eric Ciaramella" does not have.

Now I know why I was banned from Twitter!