Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. will leave up to 600 troops in northeastern Syria to prevent ISIS resurgence

U.S. will leave up to 600 troops in northeastern Syria to prevent ISIS resurgence

As many as 600 U.S. troops will remain in northeastern Syria to continue counterterrorism operations against the Islamic State, Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Sunday.

“There will be less than 1,000 for sure,” Milley said, referring to the number present when President Trump ordered their complete withdrawal last month. Trump later was persuaded by national security advisers and congressional supporters, such as Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), to retain an unspecified number of troops whose mission, the president said, was to “secure the oil” from a takeover by the Syrian government or militants.

Milley, speaking on the ABC News program “This Week,” said the number of troops that would remain was “probably in the 500-ish frame. Maybe 600.” He did not mention Syrian oil but said “there are still ISIS fighters in the region and unless pressure is maintained . . . then there’s a very real possibility that conditions could be set for a reemergence of ISIS.”

A separate U.S. force of about 150 remains in southern Syria, on the Jordanian border.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...39d_story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have defeated ISIS. The US will be completely out of Syria in 30 days. Trump- December, 2018.

That will change, the military continues to resist Trump but they aren't in charge, he is.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

That will change, the military continues to resist Trump but they aren't in charge, he is.
    I guess that is why he sent in more tanks- because he wants to leave so badly.

Is it really to Syria to prevent ISIS resurgence? or help it happen?

We should takes those 600 troops and send them back home.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

One has to wonder when The Count, Zippy, and ED are littering posts and commenting to prop it up. It's almost like they have an agenda...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    One has to wonder when The Count, Zippy, and ED are littering posts and commenting to prop it up. It's almost like they have an agenda...
    If you look closer, Zippy is on the I don't trust Trump team.

Since '07 zippy was known as the troll and now RPFers are siding with him...interesting...seems telling almost..

It's almost like they have an agenda...
    When in doubt, you can always ask or debate any issue.
    Could the agenda be to explore if GOPA leadership is tricking its 'base' by creating ambiguity with misleading statements on both sides of almost every issue and trying to walk a thin line between its globalist interventionist neocon top donor's agenda and it's war fatigued base's?

Just saw report that Don Jr got boo'd , heckled by Conservatives MAGA base and he had to walk off stage while he was promoting his book "Triggered".

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    When in doubt, you can always ask or debate any issue.
    Could the agenda be to explore if GOPA leadership is tricking its 'base' by creating ambiguity with misleading statements on both sides of almost every issue and trying to walk a thin line between its globalist interventionist neocon top donor's agenda and it's war fatigued base's?

Just saw report that Don Jr got boo'd , heckled by Conservatives MAGA base and he had to walk off stage while he was promoting his book "Triggered".
    Charlie Kirk and don Jr are all about free speech until questioned about Israel or immigration

Meanwhile Rand and Trump are tag teaming the media...but let's go with people who haven't moved out of their mom's basement and never helped the liberty movement except being keyboard warriors.

Good try ED

Charlie Kirk and don Jr are all about free speech until questioned about Israel or immigration
    Are you aware who's the richest person in the MAGA top donor couple and is American or member of a foreign country's military.. and what is the agenda of 'America First' party's top donor regarding US taxpayers funded Syria, Iran, Iraq wars policies?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...but let's go with people who haven't moved out of their mom's basement and never helped the liberty movement except being keyboard warriors.
    I recall hearing exact same comment about Ron Paul supporters few years back on a 'fair and balanced' 'mainstream' news channel years ago. Cooks was another term used.

If you're arguing about pragmatic approach and that working through the mainstream swampy globalist neocons funded party with track record of supporting wars can lead to the land of liberties, it's common argument and can be debated.

$#@! FOX and any MSM outlet. Having been apart and worked so long there have been quite a few bad apples that one might see that argument. I didn't believe but after a couple campaigns libertarians are their own enemy. What do you know a lot of candidates are being exposed as plants? Weird....

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Is it really to Syria to prevent ISIS resurgence? or help it happen?
    To insure that Assad has resistance to rebuilding.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    To insure that Assad has resistance to rebuilding.
    Globalist neocons and various parasitic lobbies at home had never aimed to remove Assad, their goal was to instigate instability through supporting terrorist groups like iSIS in Syria etc and to leave a weakened Assad in power for strategic gains. So far everything seems to be going by the script of our closest ally in mideast. Other than that, 'America First'.

I oppose any and all neocons and Israeli first crowd. Do you believe any of our own people could get elected and make great change? I think the FED and MIC control all. We shall see if trump is playing them or playing us.

It was Ron Paul's movement that paved the way for Rand's election and to an extent even Trump's. It's much harder compared to swamp lobbies bought candidates but yes genuine pro liberty candiadtes can get elected, wars fatigue works to their advantage lately.

I guess we'll see who the foreign-firsters are.

Trump calls on Ilhan Omar to resign from Congress for ‘anti-Semitism’
    February 12, 2019
    WASHINGTON (JTA) — President Donald Trump called on Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., to resign from Congress for what he said was her anti-Semitism.
    “It’s terrible what she said and I think she should either resign from Congress, or she should certainly resign from the House Foreign Affairs Committee,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday. “What she said is so deep-seated in her heart that her lame apology, and that’s what it was, it was lame and she didn’t mean a word of it, was just not appropriate. I think she should resign from Congress.”
    Omar, in her first term in the Congress, said Sunday on Twitter that the American Israel Public Affairs Committee pays lawmakers to be pro-Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    If you look closer, Zippy is on the I don't trust Trump team.
    Anyone who trusts Trump is a dang fool, IMO.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It was Ron Paul's movement that paved the way for Rand's election and to an extent even Trump's. It's much harder compared to swamp lobbies bought candidates but yes genuine pro liberty candiadtes can get elected, wars fatigue works to their advantage lately.

I guess we'll see who the foreign-firsters are.

Trump calls on Ilhan Omar to resign from Congress for ‘anti-Semitism’
    February 12, 2019
    WASHINGTON (JTA) — President Donald Trump called on Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., to resign from Congress for what he said was her anti-Semitism.
    “It’s terrible what she said and I think she should either resign from Congress, or she should certainly resign from the House Foreign Affairs Committee,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday. “What she said is so deep-seated in her heart that her lame apology, and that’s what it was, it was lame and she didn’t mean a word of it, was just not appropriate. I think she should resign from Congress.”
    Omar, in her first term in the Congress, said Sunday on Twitter that the American Israel Public Affairs Committee pays lawmakers to be pro-Israel.
    I hate the Bolsheviks too. We have common ground. We must not let them hijack 100% while they are close at 85% probably. How do you propose we rid the Israeli lobby?

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Anyone who trusts Trump is a dang fool, IMO.
    I hear you, but I don't see zippy standing on the right side of issues very often.

Evidently Trump caught the entire swamp. Let's see what happens.

To prop what up?

The whole reason that I posted this - and many, many other news articles like it - is because people are lying to the American people, gaslighting them, and telling them that something is happening when it is not actually happening.

What should I do instead? Pretend that we don't have troops in Syria? Imagine that the thrice-promised withdrawal actually occured?

Please tell me what agenda I'm promoting by posting the government's own admission without comment, and explain to me what I should do instead.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I have said all along that we had no business in Syria- that we were only making things worse- prolonging the war there. What I have pointed out is Trump consistently saying he is going to do something and not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    To prop what up?

The whole reason that I posted this - and many, many other news articles like it - is because people are lying to the American people, gaslighting them, and telling them that something is happening when it is not actually happening.

What should I do instead? Pretend that we don't have troops in Syria? Imagine that the thrice-promised withdrawal actually occured?

Please tell me what agenda I'm promoting by posting the government's own admission without comment, and explain to me what I should do instead.

What you're supposed to do, of course, is bask in the warm, orange glow of our glorious leader.

Orange Man G od!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

OK , if all troops but 750 are removed from Syria is that not a win ? I would prefer zero but I'll take that . When was the last time the US pulled out of a country that quickly ? Then there is this , which I find more disturbing , 600 is not enough to control all of Northern Syria unless they are all just FO's calling fire which is likely , whose fire will they be calling and on whom will it fall ? The 150 on the Jordanian border are probably just filling intelligence because it is not enough for security .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast