Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Democrats have attempted impeachment of every elected GOP president since Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Expanding presidential powers to do stuff I want done may be the very best I can hope for at this point.
    Would you also support a president using those same expanded powers to do something you DON'T want them to do? Or would you prefer to maintain some checks and balances?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Would you also support a president using those same expanded powers to do something you DON'T want them to do? Or would you prefer to maintain some checks and balances?
    The first always happens and the second has not been available in a long time.
    If Congress will rein in ALL presidents that will be good but don't hold your breath.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Would you also support a president using those same expanded powers to do something you DON'T want them to do?
    Of course I wouldn't.

Why would I want that?

Or would you prefer to maintain some checks and balances?
    Checks and balances are a thing of the past, friend, thanks to unopposed and undefended from, invading migrant hordes.

The future is unchecked and unbalanced uni-party Bolshevism, California on a nationwide scale, driven by foreign born migrant voters and in toto domestic ethnic voting blocs.

$#@! it all, might as well get what I can, while the getting's good.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Of course I wouldn't.

Why would I want that?

Checks and balances are a thing of the past, friend, thanks to unopposed and undefended from, invading migrant hordes.

The future is unchecked and unbalanced uni-party Bolshevism, California on a nationwide scale, driven by foreign born migrant voters and in toto domestic ethnic voting blocs.

There is a time for peace and a time for war.
    There is also a time for checks and balances and a time for decisive leadership.
    I believe that we have always had too many checks and balances and that they enabled what I call the corruption ratchet but we do want some when we get back to where we need to go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There is also a time for checks and balances and a time for decisive leadership.
    I believe that we have always had too many checks and balances and that they enabled what I call the corruption ratchet but we do want some when we get back to where we need to go.
    Yes, the real problem here is that government has had too little power.

Thank goodness for decisive leadership.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

"[D]ecisive leadership"? Right. Nothing promotes true freedom like an authoritarian strong man of the type often favored by banana republics around the globe.

"[T]oo many checks and balances"? Clearly the state has not been given free enough rein over the last 2+ centuries to insure the maintainance and expansion of real liberty.

FFS

In the past there would have been so many people ruthlessly excoriating such authoritarian tripe that the poster would hesitate to even show his face around here again without a serious adjustment in attitude and beliefs. Now? I'm guessing it will pass with little comment. The poster is tipping his hand, once again, for all to see.

SMGDH
    Last edited by CCTelander; 11-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I believe that we have always had too many checks and balances
    "You cannot deduct reputation from the same post twice."
    I should be glad you're not hiding your fascism, but it's sad that this place is a fertile ground for you freaks.

Reputation beyond fuсking repute. Maybe we who believe in limited government are the ones who don't belong here; either way, the minarchist, anarchists, and classical liberals left here have obviously less and less in common with the Trumparchists.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    I should be glad you're not hiding your fascism, but it's sad that this place is a fertile ground for you freaks.

Reputation beyond fuсking repute. Maybe we who believe in limited government are the ones who don't belong here; either way, the minarchist, anarchists, and classical liberals left here have obviously less and less in common with the Trumparchists.
    You sir, need to simmer down and embrace the MAGA.

Then you will have learned.

Thank you. Glad to see some resistance to that authoritarian bull$#@!. There are still a few of us who refuse to be assimilated.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SimmerDown View Post
    You sir, need to simmer down and embrace the MAGA.

Then you will have learned.

Embrace the MAGA?

I'd rather French kiss a rattlesnake. Thanks but no thanks.
    Chris

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is a time for peace and a time for war.
    Yeah, "we" can get those pesky checks and balances back after "we" get back to where "we" need to go. $#@!ing statists.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Yeah, "we" can get those pesky checks and balances back after "we" get back to where "we" need to go. $#@!ing statists.

Thanks. Good to see that garbage getting the response it deserves.
    Chris

You sir, are no lover of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Yes, the real problem here is that government has had too little power.

Thank goodness for decisive leadership.
    The government has too much power but it is also too dispersed so that nobody can be held accountable for its use.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "[D]ecisive leadership"? Right. Nothing promotes true freedom like an authoritarian strong man of the type often favored by banana republics around the globe.
    Decisive leadership will be required to restore the republic.
    It took Andy Jackson to kill the National Bank and it will take that kind of decisive leader to kill the Fed or bring the troops home or any of the other things we need done.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    "[T]oo many checks and balances"? Clearly the state has not been given free enough rein over the last 2+ centuries to insure the maintainance and expansion of real liberty.
    It's not the checks on government power vs. the citizens that are the problem, it's the internal checks and balances that allow corruption but prevent reform while allowing all involved to avoid responsibility.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Checks and balances were designed to freeze government in place while it was small, they didn't work very well and now they freeze it in place while it is huge.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Hmmm....so Republicans sought to impeach Truman, Clinton and Obama. Basically every democratic president since FDR with the exception of Jimmy Carter. But they tried to impeach Carter's U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young because he *gasp* was sympathetic to the Palestinians. There have been more attempts to impeach Republican presidents....because there have been more Republican presidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeac...eral_officials

Interesting...I did not know that.

Nolte: Snopes Confirms Dems Tried to Impeach Every Elected GOP President Since Eisenhower

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...nt-eisenhower/

JOHN NOLTE 7 Nov 2019

The fake, far-left fact check site Snopes accidentally confirmed that Democrats have sought to impeach every elected Republican president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Naturally, while confirming this, the garbage fire of fake news that is Snopes rated what is “mostly true” as “mostly false.”

The claim is: “Have Democrats Tried to Impeach Every GOP President Since Ike?”

Snopes decided to fact check this claim based on a popular meme that shows a black and white photo of Gen. Eisenhower above a caption that reads “INTERESTING FACT!!! Did you know Democrats have tried to impeach every Republican President since Eisenhower???”

Looking to debunk this mostly true claim, Snopes accidentally confirms that Democrats have indeed tried to impeach every elected Republican president since Eisenhower [emphasis mine]:

The U.S. has had six republican presidents since Eisenhower left office in 1961: Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, and Donald Trump. The claim is wrong on its face because Democrats made no effort to impeach Ford. While a handful of Democratic lawmakers have introduced articles of impeachment against five of the last six Republican presidents, in most cases these efforts weren’t taken seriously by the party at large. Nixon and Trump have been the only Republican presidents since Ike who have faced a serious threat of impeachment.

So, Snopes has indeed confirmed that Democrats have “introduced articles of impeachment against five of the last six Republican presidents,” the sole exception being Gerald Ford, who was not elected.

Ford was not even elected to the vice presidency; he was appointed by Nixon after his original vice president, Spiro Agnew, resigned in disgrace over a matter that had nothing to do with Watergate.

What’s more, Ford was president for only a little more than two years.

But there you have it — confirmation from a left-wing fact check site that Democrats sought to impeach five of the last six Republican presidents and sought to impeach every Republican elected to the presidency since Eisenhower.

Granted, the meme that claims Democrats tried to impeach every president since Ike is not 100 percent accurate. But after Snopes confirmed the meme was 5/6th correct, why is a mostly accurate claim hit with a verdict of “mostly false”?

I think we all know the answer to that one…

Because it is a damning fact that proves just how anti-democratic the Democrats are, what a bunch of sore losers they are, and Snopes is not a real fact-checking site, it is a Palace Guard for the political left.

So Snopes splits hairs between what it describes as “serious” impeachment efforts and efforts that never went beyond a lawmaker introducing articles of impeachment.

So what we have here is Snopes making a subjective opinion about what “tried to impeach every elected Republican president since Eisenhower” means — and wouldn’t you know it? — Snopes’s subjective opinion falls right into the category of aiding and abetting the left.

But by any objective, pro-science standard, the meme in question is MOSTLY TRUE.

Regardless, we should at least thank Snopes for doing the hard work that proves for a fact the following…

Democrats Have Tried to Impeach Every Elected GOP President Since Eisenhower…

Thanks, Snopes!!!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Hmmm....so Republicans sought to impeach Truman, Clinton and Obama. Basically every democratic president since FDR with the exception of Jimmy Carter. But they tried to impeach Carter's U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young because he *gasp* was sympathetic to the Palestinians. There have been more attempts to impeach Republican presidents....because there have been more Republican presidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeac...eral_officials
    What about JFK and LBJ?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What about JFK and LBJ?
    Okay. You're right. I forgot about them. Of course one could argue that assassination kinda precludes impeachment so that just leaves LBJ. And LBJ was riding the JFK sympathy wave. Still, you have a valid point.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The government has too much power but it is also too dispersed so that nobody can be held accountable for its use.
    You certainly do not hold anyone accountable for the use of government power.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

You certainly do not hold anyone accountable for the use of government power.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Tell us more about how government needs to be accountable for its actions. Shall we start at the top or the bottom?
    Pinochet is the model

Of course I wouldn't.

Why would I want that?

Got neg repped at this post:

What has happened to you man?
    Kind of hard to answer, since I've been fairly consistent over the years: I have always been in favor of tariffs, of an "America First" policy in all things fedgov, and limited immigration.

I was, before fully getting behind Ron Paul, politically, for over twelve years now, a Pat Buchanan type of guy.

So I don't think any positions or opinions I post are radically different than what I have been saying for thirty years or more now.

I will admit my focus on what issues I find to be of primary importance has changed quite a bit over the last few years, as it has become quite clear that another front in the war on me has opened.

My response to Zip is slightly specious and tongue-in-cheek.

But I am not kidding about this:

I mean that in all sincerity, and I will do whatever little bit is in my power to make sure that my children do not lose their legacy.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Kind of hard to answer, since I've been fairly consistent over the years: I have always been in favor of tariffs, of an "America First" policy in all things fedgov, and limited immigration.

I was, before fully getting behind Ron Paul, politically, for over twelve years now, a Pat Buchanan type of guy.

So I don't think any positions or opinions I post are radically different than what I have been saying for thirty years or more now.

I will admit my focus on what issues I find to be of primary importance has changed quite a bit over the last few years, as it has become quite clear that another front in the war on me has opened.

I mean that in all sincerity, and I will do whatever little bit is in my power to make sure that my children do not lose their legacy.
    At some point you have to admit that the enemy has thrown the rulebook out the window and that we are in a kind of war.
    If you keep following the rulebook down to the fine print you will be destroyed.
    If you win well enough to force the other side to play by the rules again you can go back to playing by them too. (but you may want to adjust them since they got you to the point the enemy could ignore them)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I didn't neg you for supporting tariffs and a secure border. Reasonable people support tariffs; reasonable people support border security. I negged you for the unreasonable things you don't seem to have been consistent about.
    Expanding presidential powers to do stuff I want done
    Checks and balances are a thing of the past...$#@! it all, might as well get what I can, while the getting's good.
    That's not what 2012 AF sounded like
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Remember when we said, "Nothing can save the country but the principles that built it"? Now we seem to leave off after, "Nothing can save the country."

Is that a reason to forget the principles that built it? If we do, I shudder to think what sort of ugly monster rises from the ashes.
    We believe our lying eyes...

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't neg you for supporting tariffs and a secure border. Reasonable people support tariffs; reasonable people support border security. I negged you for the unreasonable things you don't seem to have been consistent about.

That's not what 2012 AF sounded like
    Well, like I said, that was a specious and tongue-in-cheek response to Zip's sophomoric question...I am not suddenly in favor of the Imperial Presidency or expanding government power.

Unless it's executive orders undoing past damage.

I'll get behind that.

Expanding presidential powers to do stuff I want done may be the very best I can hope for at this point.
    Well, there's quite a club that seems to be growing around that concept. We'll need a name for that political philosophy, though.

Well, like I said, that was a specious and tongue-in-cheek response to Zip's sophomoric question...I am not suddenly in favor of the Imperial Presidency or expanding government power.
    You can say that it was tongue-in-cheek, but it fits in so well with what you've been saying of late that I tend to think that it was more serious than sarcastic.
    Pinochet is the model

I realize that Nixon chose Ford because the one thing Ford excelled at was keeping his nose clean. And he wasn't in the office long enough to do much of anything, or have any long processes played out against him.

Besides, I remember the American public making it quite clear that pardoning Nixon was unpardonable. That's why Reagan came closer than anyone else ever to beating a sitting GOP president in the primaries. If Republicans were a little less concerned with being authority-worshipping good little team players, and a little more concerned with having a lick if sense, they'd have nominated Reagan in 1976.

But it's still quite ironic the only GOP president the Democrats made no effort to remove was the only one who was never democratically elected.

Well, there's quite a club that seems to be growing around that concept. We'll need a name for that political philosophy, though.
    The "I like tyranny as long as I like the tyrant" movement.

Charismacism?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I realize that Nixon chose Ford because the one thing Ford excelled at was keeping his nose clean. And he wasn't in the office long enough to do much of anything, or have any long processes played out against him.

But it's still quite ironic the only GOP president the Democrats made no effort to remove was the only one who was never democratically elected.

True, but there were 2 attempts on Ford's life, and he did seem to "fall" quite a bit. If either attempt had succeeded we'd have wound up with President Nelson Rockefeller. :::shudder:::

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The "I like tyranny as long as I like the tyrant" movement.

Charismacism?

Lol!
    Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast