Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Victor Davis Hanson: Socialism guarantees failure and suffering – So why do so many Americans

  1. #1

    Victor Davis Hanson: Socialism guarantees failure and suffering – So why do so many Americans

    Victor Davis Hanson: Socialism guarantees failure and suffering – So why do so many Americans support it?

    Multiple forms of socialism, from hard Stalinism to European redistribution, continue to fail.

    Russia and China are still struggling with the legacy of genocidal communism. Eastern Europe still suffers after decades of Soviet-imposed socialist chaos.

    Cuba, Nicaragua, North Korea and Venezuela are unfree, poor and failed states. Baathism — a synonym for pan-Arabic socialism — ruined the postwar Middle East.

    The soft-socialist European Union countries are stagnant and mostly dependent on the U.S. military for their protection.

    In contrast, current American deregulation, tax cuts and incentives, and record energy production have given the United States the strongest economy in the world.

    So why, then, are two of the top three Democratic presidential contenders — Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., — either overtly or implicitly running on socialist agendas? Why are the heartthrobs of American progressives — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) — calling for socialist redistributionist schemes?

    Why do polls show that a majority of American millennials have a favorable view of socialism?

    There are lots of catalysts for the new socialism.

    Massive immigration is changing the demography of the United States. The number of foreign-born U.S. residents and their children has been estimated at almost 60 million, or about 1 in 5 U.S. residents. Some 27 percent of California residents were born outside of America.

    Many of these immigrants flee from poor areas of Latin America, Mexico, Africa and Asia that were wrecked by statism and socialism. Often, they arrive in the U.S. unaware of economic and political alternatives to state socialism.

    When they reach the U.S. — often without marketable skills and unable to speak English — many assume that America will simply offer a far better version of the statism from which they fled. Consequently, many take for granted that government will provide them an array of social services, and they become supportive of progressive socialism.

    Another culprit for the new socialist craze is the strange leftward drift of the very wealthy in Silicon Valley, in corporate America and on Wall Street.

    Some of the new progressive rich feel guilty about their unprecedented wealth. So they champion redistribution as the sort of medieval penance that alleviates guilt.

    Yet the influential and monied classes usually are so well off that higher taxes hardly affect them. Instead, redistributionist taxation hurts the struggling middle classes.

    In California, it became hip for wealthy leftists to promote socialism from their Malibu, Menlo Park or Mill Valley enclaves — while still living as privileged capitalists. Meanwhile, it proved nearly impossible for the middle classes of Stockton and Bakersfield to cope with the reality of crushing taxes and terrible social services.

    From 2008 to 2017, the now-multimillionaire Barack Obama, first as candidate and then as president, used all sorts of cool socialist slogans, from “spread the wealth around” and “now is not the time to profit” to “you didn’t build that” and “at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

    Universities bear much of the blame. Their manipulation of the federal government to guarantee student loans empowered them to jack up college costs without any accountability. Liberal college administrators and faculty did not care much when graduates left campus poorly educated and unable to market their expensive degrees.

    More than 45 million borrowers now struggle with nearly $1.6 trillion in collective student debt, with climbing interest. That indebtedness has delayed — or ended — the traditional forces that encourage conservatism and traditionalism, such as getting married, having children and buying a home.

    Instead, a generation of single, childless and mostly urban youth feels cheated that their high-priced degrees did not earn them competitive salaries. Millions of embittered college graduates will never be able to pay off what they owe — and want some entity to pay off their debts.

    In paradoxical fashion, teenagers were considered savvy adults who were mature enough to take on gargantuan loans. But they were also treated like fragile preteens who were warned that the world outside their campus sanctuaries was downright mean, sexist, racist, homophobic and unfair.

    Finally, doctrinaire Republicans for decades mouthed orthodoxies of free rather than fair trade. They embraced the idea of creative destruction of industries, but without worrying about the real-life consequences for the unemployed in the hollowed out red-state interior.

    Add up a lost generation of woke and broke college graduates, waves of impoverished immigrants without much knowledge of American economic traditions, wealthy advocates of boutique socialism and asleep-at-the-wheel Republicans, and it becomes clear why historically destructive socialism is suddenly seen as cool.

    Regrettably, sometimes the naive and disaffected must relearn that their pie-in-the sky socialist medicine is far worse than the perceived malady of inequality.

    And unfortunately, when socialists gain power, they don’t destroy just themselves. They usually take everyone else down with them as well.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/vict...20-%20Mixed%29
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Many Americans support it because schools and universities brainwash our kids to believing its a good thing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  4. #3
    Is there a system which prevents all failures and suffering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Yes, that is the new tactic from all the trolls.
    They just assert lies over and over no matter how often they are exposed.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is there a system which prevents all failures and suffering?
    Ask not how to eliminate suffering, ask how not to create more suffering.

    Massive immigration is changing the demography of the United States.
    But do they vote Democrat because they still have faith in government, or do they refuse to vote Republican because Republicans hound them and persecute them?

    It is not unreasonable to look at the two U.S. parties and conclude, there's no choice for less government. The only choices are, make AFDC bigger or make ICE bigger. Given that choice...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-07-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I didn't vote for Trump.
    A POX ON BOTH YOUR PARTIES

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Ask not how to eliminate suffering, ask how not to create more suffering.



    But do they vote Democrat because they still have faith in government, or do they refuse to vote Republican because Republicans hound them and persecute them?

    It is not unreasonable to look at the two U.S. parties and conclude, there's no choice for less government. The only choices are, make AFDC bigger or make ICE bigger. Given that choice...

    There you go again making sense.

    I'd +rep you if I could.
    Chris

    "Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

    "...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    There you go again making sense.
    Sorry. I know that's considered a bad habit these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I didn't vote for Trump.
    A POX ON BOTH YOUR PARTIES

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is there a system which prevents all failures and suffering?

    The afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  9. #8
    Why do polls show that a majority of American millennials have a favorable view of socialism?
    If you are not liberal when you are young, you have no heart. If you are not conservative when you get older, you have no brain. Thus Democrats want to drop the voting age to ten.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

    But do they vote Democrat because they still have faith in government, or do they refuse to vote Republican because Republicans hound them and persecute them?

    It is not unreasonable to look at the two U.S. parties and conclude, there's no choice for less government. The only choices are, make AFDC bigger or make ICE bigger. Given that choice...
    ICE is no threat to legal immigrants and Republicans have bent over backwards catering to immigrants only to have them vote communist because they are from a communist culture.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    There you go again making sense.

    I'd +rep you if I could.
    It makes no sense at all because it is premised on lies.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ICE is no threat to legal immigrants..
    There's an entire band of federales tasked with checking and harassing anyone with brown skin and an accent, but you have nothing to worry about. Some if the friends you've made, on the other hand...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ...and Republicans have bent over backwards catering to immigrants only to have them vote communist because they are from a communist culture.
    Yeah, funny how those Republicans are neither seen nor heard, while the xenophobes are proclaiming their big red R all over the 'net.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It makes no sense at all because it is premised on lies.
    You just told a whopper or two yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I didn't vote for Trump.
    A POX ON BOTH YOUR PARTIES

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    There's an entire band of federales tasked with checking and harassing anyone with brown skin and an accent, but you have nothing to worry about. Some if the friends you've made, on the other hand...
    Propaganda, we get invaders of all skin colors.
    And the immigrants know that their home countries have much harsher immigration enforcement to protect them from invasion and cultural conquest.


    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yeah, funny how those Republicans are neither seen nor heard, while the xenophobes are proclaiming their big red R all over the 'net.
    They're still all over the place but most Republicans have finally learned that imported communists don't change because they set foot on magic dirt in America.



    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You just told a whopper or two yourself.
    That's what a lying Blackfoot would say about a truthful Whitefoot.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2019, 07:29 AM
  2. Epic greed, power, and pride: (Victor Davis Hanson!)
    By The Northbreather in forum 2016 Presidential Election: GOP & Dem
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 04:10 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM
  4. Victor Davis Hanson Discusses Arizona Controversy
    By AuH20 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
  5. A story of suffering under socialism; And documentary update
    By GreenCardSeeker in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •