https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...itics-50280817

Boris Johnson has ruled out granting permission for a second vote on Scottish independence while he is prime minister.

Mr Johnson said his government would not give the go-ahead for another legally-binding referendum.

The Tory leader claimed the issue had been settled in a "once-in-a-generation" vote in 2014.

Nicola Sturgeon described the position of blocking another independence referendum as "unsustainable".

The Scottish first minister has already said she will request a "section 30 order" - which grants permission for a new referendum from the UK government - within days of the 12 December general election.

The SNP leader previously said she believed Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn would grant her the section 30 order if he was voted into Downing Street.

But Mr Johnson was clear he did not want to see Scots given a second vote on the country's place in the UK.

Speaking on Sky News' Sophy Ridge on Sunday, the PM said: "I think having another referendum, I don't think people in this country think referendums are very wonderful for harmony.

"We had one in 2014, the British people, the people of Scotland, were told in 2014 that that was a once-in-a-generation event."

Asked if he would grant permission for an independence referendum as prime minister, Mr Johnson stated: "No, I don't, I don't want to have one. But I don't see any reason to go back on that, on that assurance."

The Scottish government wants to put the question of independence to a new public vote in the second half of 2020 and has started the legislative process in Holyrood to achieve this.

However, for any referendum to be legally binding it needs the green light from the UK government, which has said it will not approve any section 30 agreement.
More at link.