Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Hate One Another. Impeachment Isn’t Helping.

Exclamation Americans Hate One Another. Impeachment Isn’t Helping.

Americans Hate One Another. Impeachment Isn’t Helping.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...zation/601264/

Why the ongoing fight may leave Democrats and Republicans even more suspicious of the other side

Americans’ views on impeachment are neatly split along partisan lines. The latest polling averages, tracked by the website FiveThirtyEight, show that 84 percent of Democrats now support impeachment, close to the highest level since at least August 2018, when the site started collecting polls on the issue. By contrast, only 11 percent of Republicans support impeachment, a number that has stayed fairly consistent over the past year and a half. This gulf in Democrats’ and Republicans’ views is more than just partisanship, however. It’s the latest evidence that political tribalism has taken over nearly every part of American life.

According to a growing body of political-science research, Americans largely no longer feel a shared sense of national identity. Democrats and Republicans see their political opponents as enemies with totally incomprehensible beliefs and lifestyles. On impeachment, members of the two parties see things radically differently, not just because they have dissimilar political opinions, but because they have entirely divergent views on how to approach life. The vicious impeachment fight ahead may further exacerbate polarization in America, leaving Republicans, Democrats, and everyone in between feeling even more suspicious of one another.

When I asked Michele Margolis, a political scientist at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of the 2018 book From Politics to the Pews, how much of an effect impeachment would have on the country’s polarization, she didn’t hesitate: “Huge!” American democracy functions only when each side is able to recognize the other as legitimate and accept the outcome when it loses. Over the past two decades in particular, that mutual respect has been significantly undermined, in part because Americans have so thoroughly sorted themselves into their respective political camps. “We’re now in a world where we really don’t have to talk to people who don’t think and look like us politically,” she said. But “it’s important to interact with people who don’t look like you [and] don’t think like you. That’s how we recognize the other side as people, and tolerate them and their political views.”

America’s great self-sorting is partly responsible for the two divergent narratives that have emerged on impeachment. Democrats can’t believe Republicans are willing to give President Donald Trump a pass for basically anything, including asking a foreign leader to investigate the family of one of his political opponents. Republicans, on the other hand, see the latest phase of the impeachment inquiry as a deceitful, partisan ploy from Democrats desperate to get Trump out of office. These are not just two ways of interpreting the same set of facts, with a gentleman’s agreement to disagree. They’re totally separate understandings of reality, based on the assumption of the other side’s bad faith. “If you truly believe that this is a witch hunt, and the Democrats have nothing on President Trump,” Margolis said, “it’s easier to have anger toward [the other side]. It’s easier to have hostility toward them.”

According to research from two scholars at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Marc Hetherington and Jonathan Weiler, Americans’ assumptions about their political opponents’ bad faith is rooted in something deeper than partisan affiliation. People on opposite sides of the political spectrum actually have non-overlapping worldviews, which makes it hard for them to see anything legitimate in their political opponents’ views. The archetypes Hetherington and Weiler draw in their 2018 book, Prius or Pickup?, are intuitively recognizable: Americans with a more conservative, or “fixed,” orientation value obedience in their children and strength in their leaders. They often fear the world around them, and prize stability and tradition over experimentation and change. By comparison, Americans with a more liberal, or “fluid,” worldview strive to raise independent, curious children and see empathy and tolerance as the most noble qualities a leader can embody. They believe in questioning authority and abhor performative shows of toughness.

This sharp worldview divide helps explain the current dynamics in Washington around impeachment—why people are so angry, and why each side automatically counts each new revelation as evidence for its case. “When people hate the other side so much, they’ll resist just about anything, any kind of information, that would be beneficial to that other side,” Hetherington told me. Americans’ “partisan bias is so strong that even in the absence of strong counterarguments on behalf of the president, we’re seeing no movement in public opinion about impeachment.”

The depth of America’s polarization is what makes this impeachment inquiry so different from the ones faced by Richard Nixon in the 1970s and Bill Clinton in the 1990s. Especially 45 years ago, partisanship “was not anchored in these fundamental, psychological worldviews,” Weiler told me. The two parties had not yet turned politics into a series of moral litmus tests on abortion, LGBTQ rights, and other highly charged issues. Policy debates were just that: debates, with space for respect and compromise. By the Clinton years, this dynamic had started to shift at the elite level, but members of the two political parties had not yet fully sorted themselves by fundamental differences in worldview, Hetherington said. “It’s the marriage of worldview and partisanship that creates this toxicity to politics,” he told me. “It’s a volatile marriage, to say the least.”

Not everyone in America fits neatly into these camps—fixed versus fluid, conservative versus liberal, Republican versus Democrat. The country is full of people with mixed identities and beliefs who occupy some point in the middle of the political spectrum. But their lives are still influenced by the people who listen to talk radio, read partisan websites, and watch MSNBC or Fox News. Hetherington and Weiler compared people with intensely partisan identities to smokers: Their exhalations shape the environment of the people around them, even those who aren’t smokers themselves.

This effect makes it harder for people in the gray space of politics to weigh evidence for themselves and make up their own mind, a process that is especially important on a high-stakes issue like impeachment. It’s impossible to know what lies on the other side of this inquiry—how Trump will react as new evidence emerges, how a trial in the Senate will play out, how it all will affect the 2020 election. But one outcome seems sure: This bitter fight will make it even harder for Americans to see their political opponents as reasonable humans. Instead, impeachment may end up serving as one more guidepost, pointing Republicans and Democrats to their respective sides.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Divide or die.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Americans’ “partisan bias is so strong that even in the absence of strong counterarguments on behalf of the president, we’re seeing no movement in public opinion about impeachment.”
    No bias there.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The worthless gray center are not the "good guys".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

According to a growing body of political-science research, Americans largely no longer feel a shared sense of national identity. Democrats and Republicans see their political opponents as enemies with totally incomprehensible beliefs and lifestyles. On impeachment, members of the two parties see things radically differently, not just because they have dissimilar political opinions, but because they have entirely divergent views on how to approach life. The vicious impeachment fight ahead may further exacerbate polarization in America, leaving Republicans, Democrats, and everyone in between feeling even more suspicious of one another.
    Yes, this is true, although impeachment is nothing more than an indicator and not a cause.

I could not possibly care less what the system decides to do to El' Jefe' Narjano, he's got enough resources to take care of himself.

My political opposites have fully and openly embraced, among many other things not listed, the following: infanticide, globalized totalitarianism, weirdosexual grooming of prepubescent children to normalize homosexual pedophilia, open warfare on the entire Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, nationalized healthcare, banning of internal combustion engine vehicles, universal welfare payments, the forced replacement and subsequent displacement of me and my posterity, wealth re-distribution and reparations.

Most importantly they have openly embraced the economic and political ideologies of collectivist authoritarianism aka "communism", "Leninism", "Maoism" and so on. These philosophies were directly responsible for the slaughter, by government, of hundreds of millions of people last century. US Leftists, Bolsheviks, Jacobins or whatever name you wish to put on them, are a clear and present danger.

They are, and deserve to be, hated, shunned and also feared as powerful enemies.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yes, this is true, although impeachment is nothing more than an indicator and not a cause.

I could not possibly care less what the system decides to do to El' Jefe' Narjano, he's got enough resources to take care of himself.

My political opposites have fully and openly embraced, among many other things not listed, the following: infanticide, globalized totalitarianism, weirdosexual grooming of prepubescent children to normalize homosexual pedophilia, open warfare on the entire Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, nationalized healthcare, banning of internal combustion engine vehicles, universal welfare payments, the forced replacement and subsequent displacement of me and my posterity, wealth re-distribution and reparations.

Most importantly they have openly embraced the economic and political ideologies of collectivist authoritarianism aka "communism", "Leninism", "Maoism" and so on. These philosophies were directly responsible for the slaughter, by government, of hundreds of millions of people last century. US Leftists, Bolsheviks, Jacobins or whatever name you wish to put on them, are a clear and present danger.

They are, and deserve to be, hated, shunned and also feared as powerful enemies.
    ALL of this.

I do not want to compromise with them. There's no middle ground here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I do not want to compromise with them. There's no middle ground here.
    But “it’s important to interact with people who don’t look like you [and] don’t think like you. That’s how we recognize the other side as people, and tolerate them and their political views."
    Quite right...these people, and the views they hold, summarized briefly in my post above, are not to be tolerated.

A new separation movement? NPGTOW
    "The Patriarch"

That is correct . One must recognize the enemy and make ready to face them because one day the reckoning may come.
    Do something Danke

Divide and conquer.

Flood Europe with immigrants. Balkanize Iraq and Syria (with Iran and Russia next on the list). Incite strife and division in the US. Cui bono?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Well $#@!ing said.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Matthew 24:10-14 King James Version (KJV)

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Divide and conquer.

Flood Europe with immigrants. Balkanize Iraq and Syria (with Iran and Russia next on the list). Incite strife and division in the US. Cui bono?
    who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Divide or die.
    The worthless gray center are not the "good guys".
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Matthew 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
    This stuff is not embraced by a majority of Democrats, by a majority of CNN viewers, or even by a majority of those who prefer to bang those of their own sex.

Anyone who says or implies otherwise, be it MSNBC or zerohedge, Beto or Swordshyll, is just another false prophet dedicated to stirring up trouble.

Remember when the only "Christians" ever mentioned on the MSM were the seventeen inbred Topekans of Westboro Baptist Church? Remember encountering people who thought every one of the hundreds of millions of Christians were just like those Westboro freaks? Remember thinking, gee, these CNN viewers are brainwashed idiots? Remember that?

If you think every registered Democrat in this nation puts on a dress and Geisha girl makeup and flashes his/her/its crotch to children, you, too, are a brainwashed idiot.

The MSM, and their adjuncts like Swordshyll, are bound and determined to deprive you of your sense of proportion. Don't let them.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-03-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This stuff is not embraced by a majority of Democrats, by a majority of CNN viewers, or even by a majority of those who prefer to bang those of their own sex.

Anyone who says or implies otherwise, be it MSNBC or zerohedge, Beto or Swordshyll, is just another false prophet dedicated to stirring up trouble.
    There are numerous polls and data points that suggest otherwise.

77 percent of Democrats back socialism for example.

Are these all rigged and fake, or do they indicate support for the things I listed?

This does neither side any good.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Are these all rigged and fake, or do they indicate support for the things I listed?
    Why, AF. After a dozen years here of watching push poll numbers manipulated, are you really going to sit there and conflate registered Democrats for Medicare for all with hordes of people pushing for transgender seven year olds?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    What would happen if everyone stopped blaming the people we're told to blame, and started blaming the people actually responsible for this $#@!-stirring disinformation campaign? Now, that would actually accomplish something!

The goal is to impose permanent martial law and eliminate the Bill of Rights while we thank Mommy Government for saving us from each other. They like that idea much better than doing it and having us declare war on Washington. And playing along with these narratives is giving them exactly what they want.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Remember when the only "Christians" ever mentioned on the MSM were the seventeen inbred Topekans of Westboro Baptist Church? Remember encountering people who thought every one of the hundreds of millions of Christians were just like those Westboro freaks? Remember thinking, gee, these CNN viewers are brainwashed idiots? Remember that?

If you think every registered Democrat in this nation puts on a dress and Geisha girl makeup and flashes his/her/its crotch to children, you, too, are a brainwashed idiot.

The MSM, and their adjuncts like Swordshyll, are bound and determined to deprive you of your sense of proportion. Don't let them.

This deserves to be repeated.

It also deserves about 1,000 +reps, but unfortunately I'm out of ammo.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

How many times does one's nose need to be rubbed in the blatantly obvious?

There is one important distinction between the radicals of the left and traditional Americans. It is rule of law vs. BAMN. To the radical left, laws and rules are nothing more than tools for a kangaroo court, dictated by the angry mob. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. Unaccountable authoritarianism ala Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro, etc.

Clinton Foundation collecting money from everyone including foreigners? Clinton and Wasserman-Schultz fixing Party elections? Obama and friends using fake dossiers to spy on political opponents? Evidence disappearing left and right? A foreign spy ring hired by Democrats that hacks Congress? Nothing to see here. Rules and laws are null and void in those circumstances.

Rules only apply to those who dare disagree with the swamp elite. Three felonies a day, but only for some animals.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    A new separation movement? NPGTOW
    NPGTOW?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Rules only apply to those who dare disagree with the swamp elite. Three felonies a day, but only for some animals.
    This is an obvious step on the way to Permanent Martial Law, a.k.a. Tyranny. And the safest path to that is to brainwash everyone into thinking they need protection from everyone else.

Everyone and Everyone Else have something in common. We need to protect ourselves from the swamp elite. Only. And we all need each others' help to do it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    NPGTOW?
    Normal People Go Their Own Way.
    "The Patriarch"

88% of Republicans elected a president who ran on a campaign platform which included universal government-provided health care.

Oh, and speaking of medicare, this was just last month:
    Executive Order on Protecting and Improving Medicare for Our Nation’s Seniors
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...tions-seniors/
    Last edited by TheCount; 11-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Unless each goes their separate ways and we just admit we should be two separate countries.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Unless each goes their separate ways and we just admit we should be two separate countries.
    Except the overwhelming majority of Americans are neither Westboro Baptists nor child transgender surgeons.

Except the overwhelming majority of Americans are neither Westboro Baptists nor child transgender surgeons.
    ROFLMAO!

This is an obvious step on the way to Permanent Martial Law, a.k.a. Tyranny. And the safest path to that is to brainwash everyone into thinking they need protection from everyone else.

Everyone and Everyone Else have something in common. We need to protect ourselves from the swamp elite. Only. And we all need each others' help to do it.
    We would be one big happy country, if not for those meddling swamps!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast