Thread: Ancient coin from 723AD sells for 3.1million at London auction

Ancient coin from 723AD sells for 3.1million at London auction

AN ancient coin sold yesterday for a record 3.72million.

The Islamic dinar coin, dating back to 723AD, went for nearly twice its pre-auction estimate.

One of just 12 still in existence, it attracted bids from around the world, with the hammer falling at 3.1million ($3.6 million)

With fees, the anonymous buyer will pay 3.72million ($4.3 million), which is a European record for a coin sold at auction.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/10208...llion-auction/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone know when Islam became religion? wasn't it around 700ad or something. I think that's when Mohammed was around.

Oyarde would love it if he were to somehow get his hands on that coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Anyone know when Islam became religion? wasn't it around 700ad or something. I think that's when Mohammed was around.
    The Umayyad starts around 661 , the other guy was dead and caliphate was in place by 632 , there were about 20 of them that ran things to 750 , at least 6 of them minting gold coins. Now the mines that this came from would be of interest . Currently there are open pit mines in Saud of low quality where you may get a gram of gold out of a ton . After 756 the coinage there was not accepted in the muslim Iberian .

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Oyarde would love it if he were to somehow get his hands on that coin.
    I would trade my 1913 V nickel for the whole dozen , but I imagine there are a lot more than a dozen.

You really cannot trust early islamic fairy tales . They will say it came from a mine they own but I say it is just as likely they stole it from someone and reminted it. I doubt they had enough slaves to get it out of the ground then

Gold does not really corrode so somewhere in the $#@!ty desert sands there could still be buried coins made from gold taken from murdered peaceful jews who once lived in the region before the rise of the violent muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The Umayyad starts around 661 , the other guy was dead and caliphate was in place by 632 , there were about 20 of them that ran things to 750 , at least 6 of them minting gold coins. Now the mines that this came from would be of interest . Currently there are open pit mines in Saud of low quality where you may get a gram of gold out of a ton . After 756 the coinage there was not accepted in the muslim Iberian .
    Did they ever depict the Prophet Mohammed on a coin or is that considered blasphemy?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did they ever depict the Prophet Mohammed on a coin or is that considered blasphemy?
    Mostly all I have seen is writing . Coins of that age would not even be considered actual coins today but tokens since they were often uniform in metal , size and weight they rarely list a denomination. An old Afghan dirham would be about the same as as failed state roman country from the same time
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-25-2019 at 05:59 PM.

You guys should check out the old Byzantine gold coins if you want to see something cool . I think the oldest odd gold pc I currently have in inventory is an old pc from an empire in India, I mostly stick to early US gold dollars and 2 1/2 dollar pc.'s. People know more about gold 2 1/2's , like them and they sell well . I used to just keep the one dollars when they do not sell. I have about quit doing it unless it is a different date than those I have. When I retired I put together a set of About Uncirculated 55 gold 2 1/2 Indians . That was fun.

Any depiction is considered blasphemy.