Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ancient coin from 723AD sells for 3.1million at London auction

  1. #1

    Ancient coin from 723AD sells for 3.1million at London auction

    AN ancient coin sold yesterday for a record 3.72million.

    The Islamic dinar coin, dating back to 723AD, went for nearly twice its pre-auction estimate.

    One of just 12 still in existence, it attracted bids from around the world, with the hammer falling at 3.1million ($3.6 million)

    With fees, the anonymous buyer will pay 3.72million ($4.3 million), which is a European record for a coin sold at auction.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/10208...llion-auction/



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Anyone know when Islam became religion? wasn't it around 700ad or something. I think that's when Mohammed was around.

  4. #3
    Oyarde would love it if he were to somehow get his hands on that coin.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Anyone know when Islam became religion? wasn't it around 700ad or something. I think that's when Mohammed was around.
    The Umayyad starts around 661 , the other guy was dead and caliphate was in place by 632 , there were about 20 of them that ran things to 750 , at least 6 of them minting gold coins. Now the mines that this came from would be of interest . Currently there are open pit mines in Saud of low quality where you may get a gram of gold out of a ton . After 756 the coinage there was not accepted in the muslim Iberian .

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Oyarde would love it if he were to somehow get his hands on that coin.
    I would trade my 1913 V nickel for the whole dozen , but I imagine there are a lot more than a dozen.

  7. #6
    You really cannot trust early islamic fairy tales . They will say it came from a mine they own but I say it is just as likely they stole it from someone and reminted it. I doubt they had enough slaves to get it out of the ground then

  8. #7
    Gold does not really corrode so somewhere in the $#@!ty desert sands there could still be buried coins made from gold taken from murdered peaceful jews who once lived in the region before the rise of the violent muslim.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The Umayyad starts around 661 , the other guy was dead and caliphate was in place by 632 , there were about 20 of them that ran things to 750 , at least 6 of them minting gold coins. Now the mines that this came from would be of interest . Currently there are open pit mines in Saud of low quality where you may get a gram of gold out of a ton . After 756 the coinage there was not accepted in the muslim Iberian .
    Did they ever depict the Prophet Mohammed on a coin or is that considered blasphemy?



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Did they ever depict the Prophet Mohammed on a coin or is that considered blasphemy?
    Mostly all I have seen is writing . Coins of that age would not even be considered actual coins today but tokens since they were often uniform in metal , size and weight they rarely list a denomination. An old Afghan dirham would be about the same as as failed state roman country from the same time
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-25-2019 at 05:59 PM.

  12. #10
    You guys should check out the old Byzantine gold coins if you want to see something cool . I think the oldest odd gold pc I currently have in inventory is an old pc from an empire in India, I mostly stick to early US gold dollars and 2 1/2 dollar pc.'s. People know more about gold 2 1/2's , like them and they sell well . I used to just keep the one dollars when they do not sell. I have about quit doing it unless it is a different date than those I have. When I retired I put together a set of About Uncirculated 55 gold 2 1/2 Indians . That was fun.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Did they ever depict the Prophet Mohammed on a coin or is that considered blasphemy?
    Any depiction is considered blasphemy.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2019, 05:18 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •