Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bevin/KY Election Thread (11/5/2019)

Russia!
    Truth is Fallacy, Fallacy is Evil.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    AP and several outlets have held off calling the election for Beshear, which is quite rare, especially against a GOP candidate.

They say the results are too close and Bevin did not concede.

Interesting. 5000 votes really isn't much and can easily be made up through absentee. I'm not expecting him to win though, but can still hope.
    Absentee ballots may already be counted. They had to be at the county clerk's office before the polls closed at 6 pm on election day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    Yes, that is the new tactic from all the trolls.
    They just assert lies over and over no matter how often they are exposed.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    SS in 1988:

"The LP is going out of its way to destroy the cause of liberty - Ron could split the vote and cause GHWB to lose. Ron doesn't have a chance and Bush is WAY better than Dukakis."

What you're trying to do here is plain and clear.
    Nope, Bush stank, there is no comparison.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    All of the other Republican candidates in Kentucky won easily. Obviously people went to the polls, voted for Republicans down-ballot, and then did not vote for Bevin. Bevin got 120K fewer votes than the Republican candidate for AG, 120K fewer votes than the Republican candidate for agriculture commissioner, 80K fewer votes than the Republican candidate for Auditor, and 50K fewer votes than the Republican candidate for Secretary of State.

Whose fault is that?
    [ ] Bevin
    [ ] Someone else who is not Bevin
    Both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Even in a republican dominant state, if you go after pensions and unions, you're fkd.

Imagine the kinds of ads dems were running on him in the last few weeks, thats why he was trailing and needed Trump to show up.

Some here say Trump cursed him, thats the opposite. His endorsement/victory record is something like 90%+
    So that’s what did Bevin in?

Seems like what happened to Dave Bratt. If you don’t play ball with the GOP swamp, they will run someone against you, even if it’s a Democrat.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The LP is going out of its way to make itself hated and destroy the cause of liberty:

The Libertarian Party of Kentucky says it is celebrating “delicious tears from Bevin supporters after Tuesday’s general election ended with a victory from Democrat Andy Beshear, a victory Governor Matt Bevin disputes. The Libertarian Party says it is thrilled to have “split the vote”.

“In an ideal world, we elect Libertarian candidates and advance liberty. Failing that, we push mainstream candidates towards liberty to advance the cause.

But if we can’t do those things, we are always happy to split the vote in a way that causes delicious tears. Tonight there are plenty of delicious tears from Bevin supporters.

Had Matt Bevin not ditched his liberty Lt Governor for a Mitch McConnell picked anti liberty, corrupt running mate who has tried to eliminate Kentuckians jury trial rights, had Matt Bevin not presided over a huge sales tax increase, had Matt Bevin supported any of our key issues on criminal justice reform, marijuana legalization, expanded gaming, cutting taxes, or acted with the least bit of civility, we probably would not have run a candidate. Of course, he did the opposite. And here we are.

We split the vote. And we could not be more thrilled. If our friends in the major parties do not want this to happen again, they should think about passing ranked choice voting. And supporting our issues.

More at: https://www.wtvq.com/2019/11/05/libe...in-supporters/

The LPK criticized Bevin despite his limited government credentials and willingness to push back against big government entities like the state teachers’ union as governor. They cited Bevin’s unwillingness to cut taxes or support criminal justice reform, despite the fact that did both while in office.
    “We began by making it easier for formerly incarcerated people to get back to work, passing a comprehensive felony expungement bill that allows certain former offenders, who have been crime-free for five years, to wipe their slates clean,” Bevin said in a Fox News op/ed talking about his success in implementing criminal justice reform.

“We also passed a bold reentry initiative that provides for more job training and eliminates regulatory barriers to employment for people with criminal records,” he added, encouraging other states to implement similar measures.
    Bevin also vetoed a $480 million tax hike, much to the chagrin of the state’s far-left teachers union. The Republican-led legislature would later override the measure, showing how Bevin was an iconoclast who would oppose big government factions of both major political parties. He also signed a $105 million tax cut earlier in the year and made cutting business regulations a key part of his platform.
    Because of the LPK’s spoiler efforts, the state of Kentucky – barring a possible recount or discovery of voter fraud – will no longer have a governor who vetoes tax hikes, cuts red tape for job creators, and promotes free market economics.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/libert...are-delicious/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    So that’s what did Bevin in?

Seems like what happened to Dave Bratt. If you don’t play ball with the GOP swamp, they will run someone against you, even if it’s a Democrat.
    Bevin had Republican primary that fractured the party too and was probably the ultimate reason he lost the general election. His primary challenger got 40% of the vote. The ultimate single reason Bevin lost was not getting the Republican. Period. Every other Republican cleaned up. When you smear a candidate in a primary it has a negative effect.

All of these Republican commentators want good candidates. Glenn Beck spoke endlessly about Bevin when he ran against McConnell. But when these candidates win and then get a tough primaries down the road because they are unpopular for standing on principle, the commentators are nowhere to found. Tim Huelskamp had about a perfect conservative score and I remember not one mention of his primary he lost. Where were Levin and Beck defending Bevin this go around? The talk radio meatheads blather endlessly about principle and do nothing to defend principled people

On Lou Dobbs, Ed Rollins said that Bevin was the most unpopular Governor in the country for a long period of time. No details of course. He also said that the Democrat is the son of a previous Governor, so he had the nepotism/name recognition vote. They complained about the Libertarian Party too.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    On Lou Dobbs, Ed Rollins said that Bevin was the most unpopular Governor in the country for a long period of time. No details of course. He also said that the Democrat is the son of a previous Governor, so he had the nepotism/name recognition vote. They complained about the Libertarian Party too.
    The LP shouldn't have even run a candidate against him.
    They are making the case that they are a tool of the left easy to sell.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The LP is going out of its way to make itself hated and destroy the cause of liberty:

The Libertarian Party of Kentucky says it is celebrating “delicious tears from Bevin supporters after Tuesday’s general election ended with a victory from Democrat Andy Beshear, a victory Governor Matt Bevin disputes. The Libertarian Party says it is thrilled to have “split the vote”.

“In an ideal world, we elect Libertarian candidates and advance liberty. Failing that, we push mainstream candidates towards liberty to advance the cause.

But if we can’t do those things, we are always happy to split the vote in a way that causes delicious tears. Tonight there are plenty of delicious tears from Bevin supporters.

Had Matt Bevin not ditched his liberty Lt Governor for a Mitch McConnell picked anti liberty, corrupt running mate who has tried to eliminate Kentuckians jury trial rights, had Matt Bevin not presided over a huge sales tax increase, had Matt Bevin supported any of our key issues on criminal justice reform, marijuana legalization, expanded gaming, cutting taxes, or acted with the least bit of civility, we probably would not have run a candidate. Of course, he did the opposite. And here we are.

We split the vote. And we could not be more thrilled. If our friends in the major parties do not want this to happen again, they should think about passing ranked choice voting. And supporting our issues.

More at: https://www.wtvq.com/2019/11/05/libe...in-supporters/
    So they are celebrating helping a Democrat win? Yeah, the LP has been pretty thoroughly co-opted.

Southpark is great show. Not really a great model for a political party or successful PR though.

, had Matt Bevin supported any of our key issues on criminal justice reform, marijuana legalization, cutting taxes
    What embarrassments. The LP doesn't care about liberty. They just seek to destroy. Bevin pardoned a bunch of convicted of drug crimes and was a governor who signed on criminal justice reform. And he cut taxes overall.

For example
    Gov. Matt Bevin pardons 11 who have paid 'required debt to society"
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ons/762951002/

And Bevin did hike sales taxes all the while cutting income taxes and overall taxes.
    Gov. Bevin signs tax cut bill that will reduce state revenue by $106 million a year

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...228281379.html
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 11-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Unhappy Bevin caused his own loss

That seems to be the consensus floating around out there.

He was far from perfect, but definitely the best Governor in the US.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The LP helped and they're proud of it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If Bevin had even a lick of sense he would have reached out to Matt for campaign consultation a long time ago. And he would have won.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

“The people of Kentucky deserve a fair and honest election. With reports of irregularities, we are exercising the right to ensure that every lawful vote was counted," Bevin said in a news release.

In a 5 p.m. news conference on Wednesday, Bevin expanded on the irregularities.

He said thousands of absentee ballots were wrongly counted, people were turned away from polling sites and ballots were placed into boxes instead of ballot machines in Jefferson County. Bevin said his team is corroborating the allegations.

More at: https://www.wlky.com/article/bevin-c...tucky/29714928

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    That seems to be the consensus floating around out there.

He was far from perfect, but definitely the best Governor in the US.
    THIS

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As if matters couldn't get more complicated, Republican Senate President Robert Stivers then told reporters that a joint session of the Kentucky General Assembly may eventually decide the winner, citing a provision in the state constitution that hasn't been used in 120 years.

The first step under Kentucky law is a recanvass of the vote, which is a review of the vote totals by each county clerk — counting absentee votes and checking printouts to make sure the numbers they transmitted to the State Board of Elections were correct.

State law allows for a recanvassing if a county clerk or a county board of elections notices a discrepancy, or if a candidate makes a written request to the secretary of state.

There is no provision for an automatic recount under Kentucky law. A candidate must file a petition with the Franklin Circuit Court by the Tuesday following the election.
    If petitioned, the judge would take possession of the paper ballots and voting machines and conduct their own recount. After doing so, the judge would make the final decision on who won the race, but that would be subject to appeal to the Kentucky Court of Appeals or the Kentucky Supreme Court.
    Joshua Douglas, a professor in the University of Kentucky Law School, told The Courier Journal that while Bevin would not be charged for the costs of a recanvass should he want one, he would have to pay for a recount.

The third step that a candidate could take is a formal election contest, which must also be filed by the Tuesday after the election. Under this contest, the candidate challenging the results must specify the grounds for the action, such as a violation of campaign finance rules or specific problems when it comes to how ballots were cast.
    Last but not least, there is Section 90 of the state constitution, which addresses a "contest of election for Governor or Lieutenant Governor."
    Section 90 states: "Contested elections for Governor and Lieutenant Governor shall be determined by both Houses of the General Assembly, according to such regulations as may be established by law."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/bevin-beshear...053650750.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Those who voted for the democrat will be regretting the vote when the liberals will be pushing for taxes and carbon tax. Leftist always causes high cost of living to rise because of their polices.

The LP helped and they're proud of it.
    I've come to realize they are controlled opposition...(not every member of the LP but at least the leadership)

Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    I've come to realize they are controlled opposition...(not every member of the LP but at least the leadership)
    It seems to be.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Those who voted for the democrat will be regretting the vote when the liberals will be pushing for taxes and carbon tax. Leftist always causes high cost of living to rise because of their polices.
    General public voters are not capable of tying the consequences of their votes to the misery they suffer. They vote based on what they see on TV or whatever friends and family talk about. There is very little research done.

I've heard from Kentuckians regarding Bevin, the teachers unions hate him and that also means family/friends of teachers. He has suffered a lot of bad press. Maybe he sealed his own coffin. Taking anything away from voters ensures your demise.

BTW this is interesting from Reddit

Somebody analyzed vote totals and is claiming Bevin is a victim of vote flipping.

Bevin theoretically lost votes each time a voter who voted republican, voted for the treasurer or argriculutral position.

CluelessInvestor27
    61 points
    ·
    7 hours ago
    I looked at the republican vote percentages as well as republic vote totals by the 6 major races at a county level. I computed the average of the races excluding the governors race. I then took that average to get a "projected" vote for Bevin. My projected vote total for Bevin showed that he should have received 100k more votes based on the percentages in the other races. On average, at a county level, Bevin should have received 8% more of the vote. I then did a regression equation on total votes by race. When I used the projected bevin total with the actual totals, I got a nice statistical model that makes logical sense. When I used actual totals, Bevin theoretically lost votes each time a voter who voted republican, voted for the treasurer or argriculutral position. Also, the actual results show that republican votes for the auditor, treasurer and agr position are not statistically meaningful for Bevin's total.
    Last edited by eleganz; 11-06-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    Rand Paul : Ultimately, if someone's going to accuse you of something that's going to bring down a presidency, I think we deserve to know who that person is.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    What a grotesque embarrassment Rand has become
    Ron Paul : If you're accused of a crime, you have the right to face your accuser.
    So if Rand Paul holds the same exact position as his father, it makes him embarrassing?

Hmmm...ok r3volution 3.0

Sounds legit
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Bevin had Republican primary that fractured the party too and was probably the ultimate reason he lost the general election. His primary challenger got 40% of the vote. The ultimate single reason Bevin lost was not getting the Republican. Period. Every other Republican cleaned up. When you smear a candidate in a primary it has a negative effect.
    Yeah, he could have been damaged by supporters of his opponent in the Primary.

Senate president says Bevin should concede election if recanvass doesn't alter vote totals

Republican Senate President Robert Stivers believes Gov. Matt Bevin should concede his loss to Democrat Andy Beshear if next week's recanvass doesn't significantly change the vote totals.

“It’s time to call it quits and go home, say he had a good four years and congratulate Gov.-elect Beshear,” Stivers said in a brief Friday interview at the Capitol.
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ed/2530822001/
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the Republicans wanted to defeat the Democrat Beshear, they should have withdrawn the most unpopular governor since Mitt Romney and backed the Libertarian candidate.

But NO, they'd rather support the Democrats by running losers like Mittens & Bevin.

Reminds me of the presidential campaign of '96 where they ran Bob Dole who already lost once to Carter/Mondale as Gerry Ford's running mate in '76. They love helping the D wing, Jimmiah, Slick Willie Klinton, Barack Obongo, and now Beshear. It's a con game where they change party labels back and forth, but the destruction of America continues unabated.

The D&R party hates us because we're free.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 11-08-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    If the Republicans wanted to defeat the Democrat Beshear, they should have withdrawn the most unpopular governor since Mitt Romney and backed the Libertarian candidate.

But NO, they'd rather lose with Mittens & Bevin.

Reminds me of the presidential campaign of '96 where they ran Bob Dole who already lost once to Carter/Mondale as Gerry Ford's running mate in '76. They love helping the D wing, Jimmiah, Slick Willie Klinton, Barack Obongo, and now Beshear. It's a con game where they change party labels back and forth, but the destruction of America continues unabated.

The D&R party hates us because we're free.
    You have it backwards, the LP should have backed the best governor in America an not run against him but they have become agents of the left.
    The LP candidate would not have won if the GOP had pulled out of the race.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You have it backwards, the LP should have backed the best governor in America an not run against him but they have become agents of the left.
    The LP candidate would not have won if the GOP had pulled out of the race.
    You mean the copsucker, right? Because that is what Bevin was.

You mean the copsucker, right? Because that is what Bevin was.
    He was the most liberty oriented governor in America, that doesn't mean he was perfect but it does mean that the LP was stupid and destructive or working for the communists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He was the most liberty oriented governor in America, that doesn't mean he was perfect but it does mean that the LP was stupid and destructive or working for the communists.
    So, who was working with the communists again? The copsucker who armed up the local swat teams with military hardware that will eventually be used to confiscate firearms, or...?

"liberty oriented".

You wouldn't know liberty oriented if it was taped to the end of Trump's dick.

So, who was working with the communists again? The copsucker who armed up the local swat teams with military hardware that will eventually be used to confiscate firearms, or...?
    You are ignoring the rest of his record and prognosticating because you can't justify the LP without doing so.

"liberty oriented".

You wouldn't know liberty oriented if it was taped to the end of Trump's dick.
    When you resort to sexual insults you are admitting that you already lost.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast