Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 77

Thread: You people with this phony Emoluments Clause

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Hardly. The foreign Emoluments Clause doesn't permit the receipt of ANY emoluments, so it's immaterial whether he receives 100% or 1%.
    It certainly affects whether his donations cover his portion of the profits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    And the question's not one of control, because the foreign Emoluments Clause isn't phrased in terms of willfully receiving emoluments or causing them to be paid. It's a blanket prohibition on receipt, period.
    That is just ridiculous, you can't be guilty of doing something you have no control over and have made efforts to avoid (the donations).
    And no other President has ever been held to such a ridiculous standard.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is just ridiculous, you can't be guilty of doing something you have no control over and have made efforts to avoid (the donations).
    And no other President has ever been held to such a ridiculous standard.
    Unlike previous Presidents who put their financial holdings in a blind trust run by an independent third-party Trustee, Trump put his in a revocable trust run by one of his sons and the CFO of his organization. Don't be naive -- he has de facto control, and he can cause his organization to stop dealing with foreign governments at any time.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    It's not a distortion of the way the word was used at the time the Constitution was adopted.
    Among other things, the Article demonstrates that every English dictionary definition of “emolument” from 1604 to 1806 relies on one or more of the elements of the broad definition DOJ rejects in its brief: “profit,” “advantage,” “gain,” or “benefit.” Furthermore, over 92% of these dictionaries define “emolument” exclusively in these terms, with no reference to “office” or “employment.” By contrast, DOJ’s preferred definition—“profit arising from office or employ”— appears in less than 8% of these dictionaries. Moreover, even these outlier dictionaries always include “gain, or advantage” in their definitions, a fact obscured by DOJ’s selective quotation of only one part of its favored definition from Barclay (1774). The impression DOJ creates in its brief by contrasting four historical definitions of “emolument”—two broad and two narrow—is, therefore,
    highly misleading.
    Using your argument, the person suing over the emoluments clause would have to prove that Trump's properties have been gaining money since he became president. But all of the data shows they have been losing money since then.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/3679722002/

    Trump has certainly violated the constitution. (Key example, bumpfire stock ban by executive order). But he has done so in ways the "deep state" (since that's the popular term) approves. Trying to impeach him on the emoluments clause is BS.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Using your argument, the person suing over the emoluments clause would have to prove that Trump's properties have been gaining money since he became president. But all of the data shows they have been losing money since then.
    If the organization lost less because of foreign-government business it's still an emolument because it's an economic benefit.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    If the organization lost less because of foreign-government business it's still an emolument because it's an economic benefit.
    Losing business is an economic benefit? Dude you're losing it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  8. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Unlike previous Presidents who put their financial holdings in a blind trust run by an independent third-party Trustee, Trump put his in a revocable trust run by one of his sons and the CFO of his organization. Don't be naive -- he has de facto control, and he can cause his organization to stop dealing with foreign governments at any time.
    That's nonsense.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  9. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Losing business is an economic benefit? Dude you're losing it.
    Which is better -- losing $1 million or losing $750,000? And if that hypothetical $250,000 came from foreign-government business, isn't the Trump organization better off because of it?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  10. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Which is better -- losing $1 million or losing $750,000? And if that hypothetical $250,000 came from foreign-government business, isn't the Trump organization better off because of it?
    Not if they wouldn't have lost $1 million but for Trump being president.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  11. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Unlike previous Presidents who put their financial holdings in a blind trust run by an independent third-party Trustee, Trump put his in a revocable trust run by one of his sons and the CFO of his organization. Don't be naive -- he has de facto control, and he can cause his organization to stop dealing with foreign governments at any time.
    So if this was a Trump owned McDonald's your view is that it would need to check the passport of anyone buying a happy meal? Seriously?
    Last edited by jmdrake; 10-28-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    So if this was a Trump owned McDonald's you view is that it would need to check the passport of anyone buying a happy meal? Seriously?
    According to him Trump has to make McDonald's do that and cease operations all over the world if he owns one share of stock.


    It's the perfect example of why "emoluments" can't possibly refer to simple business transactions.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    So if this was a Trump owned McDonald's your view is that it would need to check the passport of anyone buying a happy meal? Seriously?
    Strawman. The Foreign Emoluments Clause prohibits receiving benefits from foreign governments, not foreign citizens.

    Interesting story about a report that groups including a foreign government have booked blocks of rooms at Trump-owned hotels without using them. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...y-rooms-016763
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  15. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    According to him Trump has to make McDonald's do that and cease operations all over the world if he owns one share of stock.
    That's a lie. In post #12 I said, "Now if Trump's ownership of the entity or entities that are the legal owners of his hotels were small enough, there might not be a problem."

    Is that the best you can do -- misrepresenting my position in a pathetic attempt to support yours?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  16. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Strawman. The Foreign Emoluments Clause prohibits receiving benefits from foreign governments, not foreign citizens.
    So if the President of France buys a happy meal then it's a problem? Come on dude.

    Interesting story about a report that groups including a foreign government have booked blocks of rooms at Trump-owned hotels without using them. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...y-rooms-016763
    Missing from the article is any indication that these unused rooms were actually paid for.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  17. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    That's a lie. In post #12 I said, "Now if Trump's ownership of the entity or entities that are the legal owners of his hotels were small enough, there might not be a problem."

    Is that the best you can do -- misrepresenting my position in a pathetic attempt to support yours?
    You have not made any logical rule to determine where any threshold might be.


    The Constitution says the President (if it applies to him {but I'm willing to concede that it does}) can't take emoluments from foreign governments, it doesn't say he can't get profits from a corporation that makes money from foreign governments, the President and the corporation are separate entities legally.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  18. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Nope.
    Emoluments Clause: It was originally intended and continues to represent an absolute prohibition of the receipt of anything of value by a federal government officeholder from a foreign government.

    This was very important to the FF because of the strong ties many "Americans" had to the British gov. The meaning has NEVER changed.
    If that is true, then good, Trump isn't receiving anything. The hotel is receiving payment for services rendered. Then you'll probably say "HURR DURR trump owns the hotel so he receives the profit from the service". No the business receives the profit which is used to cover costs and pay their employees. "HURR DURR foreigners only stay at his hotels to influence him!!" No, Trump turned over control of all his businesses and properties, and put all his other assets in a trust not controlled by him. "HURR DURR ORANGE MAN BAD!!!"

    Did I miss anything??????
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

  19. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    If that is true, then good, Trump isn't receiving anything. The hotel is receiving payment for services rendered. Then you'll probably say "HURR DURR trump owns the hotel so he receives the profit from the service". No the business receives the profit which is used to cover costs and pay their employees. "HURR DURR foreigners only stay at his hotels to influence him!!" No, Trump turned over control of all his businesses and properties, and put all his other assets in a trust not controlled by him. "HURR DURR ORANGE MAN BAD!!!"

    Did I miss anything??????
    I was only commenting on the clause, not Trump.
    There is no spoon.

  20. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Did I miss anything??????
    Yes, quite a lot. You assumed that the entity that owns the hotel doesn't make any distributions to its owner(s) out of its profits (assuming it has any). I wonder whether Congress has asked for the tax returns of these entities to investigate whether they paid dividends to Trump, thereby implicating the Foreign Emoluments Clause.

    But even if all of the profits were plowed back into the business, that would only increase the value of the equity in the entity, which is still an economic benefit to the owner(s).

    Trump placed his holdings in a revocable trust, which means he can assume control at any time. In addition the trust was amended in 2017 to allow Trump to demand distributions from the trust any time he wants. Moreover, the Trustees are his son Donald Jr. and an executive of the Trump Organization, and one would have to be incredibly naive to think they don't listen to the beneficiary and do what he wants, especially since they can be removed by Trump for any reason or no reason.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  21. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    No the business receives the profit which is used to cover costs and pay their employees.
    Since when is money used to cover cost and pay employees profit?



  22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  23. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You have not made any logical rule to determine where any threshold might be.
    It certainly wouldn't be as low as the asinine one-share-of-McDonald's-stock example you came up with or jmdrake's idiotic Happy Meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    the President and the corporation are separate entities legally.
    They are for certain purposes. But if a business funnels money earned from dealings with foreign governments to a federal official who owns a large enough piece, I don't see why the Foreign Emoluments Clause wouldn't apply. The potential for corruption would still exist, and that's what the Founding Fathers were concerned about.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  24. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    The fact that fair market value is paid for the rooms doesn't negate the fact that there's a profit margin built in to the price and that the owner of the hotel will reap an economic benefit..

    Which gives the open appearance of being incredibly corrupt, even if it's not. It's like giving the mayor's brother-in-law a contract. Even if the guy does stellar work at less-than-market prices, it's ugly.

    Even if Trump is giving the government workers a yuge discount, it looks corrupt.

  25. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    . No the business receives the profit which is used to cover costs and pay their employees.
    The business receives revenue which is used to cover costs. Profit is what is left over.

    Trump turned over control of all his businesses and properties, and put all his other assets in a trust not controlled by him.
    Did he? Post-election, he said he wasn't going to do that, which caused a lot of pearl grabbing.

  26. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    It certainly wouldn't be as low as the asinine one-share-of-McDonald's-stock example you came up with or jmdrake's idiotic Happy Meal.
    Laws are not meant to be subjective, they have to have clear definitions, if you don't provide a rule with a threshold then you are opening the law up to the single share of stock etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    They are for certain purposes. But if a business funnels money earned from dealings with foreign governments to a federal official who owns a large enough piece, I don't see why the Foreign Emoluments Clause wouldn't apply. The potential for corruption would still exist, and that's what the Founding Fathers were concerned about.
    There is always potential for corruption, you can't take a law intended to limit corruption and stretch it to cover things that aren't in it because they might be corrupt too or you end up with subjective rule by judges instead of the rule of law.

    The emoluments clause doesn't and can't apply to anything but personal emoluments and it certainly can't apply to part ownership of an entity he doesn't control that does legitimate business with foreigners, especially when he has taken pains to try to donate his share of any foreign profits to the treasury.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  27. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The emoluments clause doesn't and can't apply to anything but personal emoluments and it certainly can't apply to part ownership of an entity he doesn't control that does legitimate business with foreigners, especially when he has taken pains to try to donate his share of any foreign profits to the treasury.
    As the litigators would say, you are assuming facts not in evidence. First, I haven't seen anything to suggest he has only part ownership of all of the entities that do businesses with foreign governments or that any part ownership he may have is a minority interest. Second, he has de facto control over the assets in his revocable trust because he can revoke or amend it at any time. Third, the assumption that the amounts contributed to the treasury are accurate is unsubstantiated, and given the fact that the Trump Organization may not be above manipulating numbers (see https://www.propublica.org/article/t...nconsistencies), there's no reason to believe the donations are accurate without further information.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

  28. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    It certainly wouldn't be as low as the asinine one-share-of-McDonald's-stock example you came up with or jmdrake's idiotic Happy Meal.

    They are for certain purposes. But if a business funnels money earned from dealings with foreign governments to a federal official who owns a large enough piece, I don't see why the Foreign Emoluments Clause wouldn't apply. The potential for corruption would still exist, and that's what the Founding Fathers were concerned about.
    LOL. A lot of happy meals add up. Those Saudis have big families. You stated what is known as a bright line rule. If any payment received by a business owned by a president in whole or in part counts as an emolument then a happy meal bought by a foreign diplomat at a 1% owned McDonald's counts. If the emolument has to be "significant" in terms of ownership in the company and the amount of payment received then there has to be some definition of what constitutes "significant." Don't get made just because you haven't fleshed this argument all the way out. You could be right. You could be wrong. Just make your argument.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 10-30-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  29. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL. A lot of happy meals add up. Those Saudis have big families. You stated what is known as a bright line rule. If any payment received by a business owned by a president in whole or in part counts as an emolument then a happy meal bought by a foreign diplomat at a 1% owned McDonald's counts. If the emolument has to be "significant" in terms of ownership in the company and the amount of payment received then there has to be some definition of what constitutes "significant." Don't get made just because you haven't fleshed this argument all the way out.
    Dude- I think the clause counts when you schedule a YUGE political global meeting at your hotel/golf course/etc. such as the G7.
    There is no spoon.

  30. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Dude- I think the clause counts when you schedule a YUGE political global meeting at your hotel/golf course/etc. such as the G7.
    If it had happened....turns out it got cancelled. Does the emoluments clause kick in if the payment doesn't happen? And if that's the case, then why isn't Pelosi and company jumping on that instead of the "But he tried to get our (corrupt) boy Biden investigated!" angle? Just curious.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.



  31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  32. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Dude- I think the clause counts when you schedule a YUGE political global meeting at your hotel/golf course/etc. such as the G7.
    Not if you do it at cost or even for free.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  33. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Not if you do it at cost or even for free.
    Yadda yadda spin spin spin.

    'At cost' has long been one of the most flexible phrases in the English language. It can mean anything. And the offer to host it for free was an offer Trump didn't make until it was crystal clear there was no way in hell that facility would host that event.

    Trump tossed those out as throwaways. You're the only person on earth silly enough to glom on to that crap and try to preserve it in amber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    My tax dollars paid to fund ISIS and make fake beheading videos. Are you saying we shouldn't get our monies worth??

  34. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yadda yadda spin spin spin.

    'At cost' has long been one of the most flexible phrases in the English language. It can mean anything. And the offer to host it for free was an offer Trump didn't make until it was crystal clear there was no way in hell that facility would host that event.

    Trump tossed those out as throwaways. You're the only person on earth silly enough to glom on to that crap and try to preserve it in amber.
    Sorry, the burden of proof is on your side, you can't impeach him for something you think he would have done.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  35. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Sorry, the burden of proof is on your side, you can't impeach him for something you think he would have done.
    I can't impeach him at all.

    Your problem is you can't defend him with something he didn't even offer to do until after he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't really care if I happen to be wrong about your positions, you are wrong about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    My tax dollars paid to fund ISIS and make fake beheading videos. Are you saying we shouldn't get our monies worth??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Emoluments Lawsuit Against Trump Can Go Forward, Judge Says
    By Zippyjuan in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2018, 08:02 PM
  2. Judge says emoluments case against Trump can proceed in DC
    By Zippyjuan in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-26-2018, 12:05 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
  4. Montana to Fight Commerce Clause and Necessary and Proper Clause
    By tonesforjonesbones in forum U.S. Constitution
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
  5. people who claim ron paul is a phony
    By SouthGeorgia61 in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •