Thread: Paul blocks vote on House-passed Syria resolution for second time

Exclamation Paul blocks vote on House-passed Syria resolution for second time

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday blocked for the second time on the Senate floor a resolution formally opposing President Trump's Syria strategy.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) tried to set up a vote on the House-passed resolution, which formally opposes Trump's decision to pull back U.S. troops from northern Syria and calls on Turkey to end its military incursion.

"What's the best way to get the president to act? Well, my friends, you know it. It's you. When Republican senators protest what the president has done, he sometimes acts," Schumer said from the Senate floor.

Under the Senate's rules, any one senator can request to vote on or pass a bill. But because that requires the sign off from every senator, any one lawmaker can also block the request.

Paul, a libertarian-leaning GOP senator, argued that if Congress is going to take up a resolution opposing Trump's Syria decision they needed to have a larger war powers debate.

"If Democrats want to send our young men and women to fight in the Syrian civil war, let's have that debate. By all means, let's have the constitutional debate today on the Senate floor right here, right now," Paul said.

The resolution — sponsored by Reps. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) and Michael McCaul (R-Texas) in the House, with a companion bill sponsored by Sens. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) and Todd Young (R-Ind.) in the Senate — "opposes the decision to end certain United States efforts to prevent Turkish military operations against Syrian Kurdish forces in Northeast Syria."

It also calls on Turkey to end its military action, calls on the United States to protect the Kurds and calls on the White House "to present a clear and specific plan for the enduring defeat of ISIS."

It's the second time Paul has blocked the resolution from getting a vote. Schumer made the same request last week, before the Kentucky Republican held it up.

Schumer argued on Tuesday that Paul's understanding of what requires a declaration of war is "different than 99.9 percent of America and from every other single person in this chamber."

Paul fired back that if the United States was trying to "create a Kurdish homeland ... hell yes we need a debate and a vote and authorization of force."
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...or-second-time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viXrpr4pOKE

Thank You Rand Paul!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Good!

It really is that simple, no war without a declaration of war.

Schumer argued on Tuesday that Paul's understanding of what requires a declaration of war is "different than 99.9 percent of America and from every other single person in this chamber."
    The second part might be true, but I'll bet more than .01% of Americans would like to see congress vote to go to war rather than just giving the power to the President.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

God Bless, Rand.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Rand Paul 2024!
    FJB

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand doing Rand things!

Half the members here must think he's a Russian agent. I wonder if Ron is aware of his son being compromised..?

He's on fire with these. The more he calls them out, the more they're exposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Rand doing Rand things!

Half the members here must think he's a Russian agent. I wonder if Ron is aware of his son being compromised..?

I don't think you will find even close to a half, let alone 5% of the people here that have a problem with Randal on this. We must all be Russian agents!

Have a good night comrades.