Thread: Rand Paul vs Lindsey Graham is "helping to shape conservative foreign policy."

Rand Paul vs Lindsey Graham is "helping to shape conservative foreign policy."

NY Times opinion from Liz Mair. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/o...rand-paul.html
    Why Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul Fight for Trump’s Favor
    The sparring between these two senators and presidential allies is helping to shape conservative foreign policy.
    By Liz Mair
    Ms. Mair is a Republican strategist.
    Oct. 21, 2019

[excerpt]
    ...Both also figured out — faster than most K Street government-relations experts who are still sweating their inability to lobby the president successfully as well as major figures in the nation’s foreign-policy establishment — that a lot can be gained by simply being nice to the guy and, as friends do, picking up the phone and chatting. It’s a way to put a bug in Mr. Trump’s ear, and both have used it.

The only trouble is, if you’re Mr. Graham, Mr. Paul seems to be making the friendship thing work better for him — though at least Mr. Graham so far has continued American engagement in Afghanistan to show for it. It’s not an inconsequential victory, but it might be a temporary one — and it hints at some serious differences of opinion between Mr. Trump and Mr. Graham that aren’t being overcome by late-night heart-to-hearts.

By contrast, those same one-on-one chats seem to be paying dividends for Mr. Paul, who applauded Mr. Trump, after his move in Syria, for “moving forward to stop the ‘endless wars.’”

Mr. Graham called that same decision “the biggest mistake of his presidency.” But Mr. Paul redirected the blame for foreign-policy mistakes to Mr. Graham, who, the Kentucky senator said, “has been wrong about almost every foreign-policy decision of the last two decades.”

More often than not, the president stands with Mr. Paul. Mr. Graham has noticed. Mr. Graham told ABC News that the president’s problem is that “he talks like Ronald Reagan and he acts like Rand Paul on occasion.”

“On occasion” is an understatement: Syria is just the latest instance of foreign-policymaking in which Mr. Trump has demonstrated highly Paulite tendencies...

Liz Mair, a strategist for campaigns by Scott Walker, Roy Blunt, Rand Paul, Carly Fiorina and Rick Perry, is the founder and president of Mair Strategies.
    [more] https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/o...rand-paul.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I stand with Rand.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I stand with Rand too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Neocon vs paleocon/libertarian
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Anybody that stands with Graham is completely blinded by stupidity.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Well done Rand Paul.
    "The Patriarch"

Kermit_tea.gif
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.