Thread: Nigel Farage calls for an extension to Brexit and a General Election

Nigel Farage calls for an extension to Brexit and a General Election

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/sta...34491866243074

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He wants an election where BJ hasn't delivered BREXIT because he will lose most of his voters if BJ delivers BREXIT.
    He should be demanding that the EU not approve an extension.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He wants an election where BJ hasn't delivered BREXIT because he will lose most of his voters if BJ delivers BREXIT.
    He should be demanding that the EU not approve an extension.
    Farage points out that Johnson's 'deal' is Brexit in name only and is not Brexit. It keeps the UK tied to European rules etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Farage points out that Johnson's 'deal' is Brexit in name only and is not Brexit. It keeps the UK tied to European rules etc.
    Yes, he shouldn't back the deal, he should call for a No Deal BREXIT and threaten the EU that he will cause trouble if they approve an extension.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Update 3 (2:15PMET): The vote on the second reading is over, and though the DUP are opposing Johnson's withdrawal agreement with the EU, a larger number of opposition MPs than anticipated sided with Johnson, delivering him his first win in what's expected to be a series of whirlwind votes.
    The final total: 329-299.
    Next up: The biggest vote of the day on whether to support Johnson's 'program motion' - whether to fast-track the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement Bill.
    Though the successful vote on the second reading of Johnson's Withdrawal Agreement Bill - or 'WAB', for short - might seem like an obscure technicality, the ramifications of this vote are quite profound: Not only is this the first time that Parliament has supported an official Brexit plan, the vote also passed by a 30-point margin, which was larger than anticipated.

Update 4 (2:35AMET): After getting off to a strong start with a wide margin of victory for the second reading of the withdrawal bill, Johnson has lost the critical motion program, 308-322.
    That means Johnson's plan to fast-track the passage of his withdrawal agreement bill has been defeated, meaning he will rely on Brussels to approve a brief extension to pass his withdrawal plan during a more "reasonable timetable."
    Though the pound plunged, Johnson sounded optimistic in his post-vote remarks, noting the significance of the fact that Parliament has finally voted in favor of a Brexit deal for the first time.

In his post-vote remarks, Johnson said the Tories would now 'pause' their legislation until the EU answers Johnson's request for another Brexit delay.
    According to BBG, if the EU grants an extension of one week, or two, Johnson will likely press on with his bill, but on a more relaxed timetable. However, should MPs insist on a delay for 3 months, then we're likely headed for elections.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...es-brexit-plan

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Amid rumors that UK PM Boris Johnson might capitulate and agree to delay Brexit Day until the end of January, reports have surfaced claiming that the EU won't release its decision on postponement until Friday.

• EU DECISION ON BREXIT DELAY WILL PROBABLY COME FRIDAY: OFFICIALS

Sources from within No. 10 Downing Street have reportedly been talking with reporters all day, claiming that if there is an extension, the Johnson government will opt to push for an election, and that the conservatives will campaign on their plan.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...y-until-friday

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday that he did not think Britain's exit from the European Union should be delayed beyond Oct. 31, his spokesman said.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/uk-pm-johnson...151523225.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Donald Tusk and the Remainers seek a Jan 31 extension. France wants a shorter extension. Jan 31 is counterproductive.

In the misguided belief that extension after extension increases the chance of remaining, the alleged "Stop No Deal" crowd actually increase the odds of No Deal.
    I have made that case before, and Eurintelligence (a Remain supporter), laid out a point-by-point scenario this morning.
    Long Delay Scenario

• European Council extends for three months;
    • UK holds elections;
    • Tories win with a small majority;
    • Johnson brings back the bill but falls short of a majority after a rebellion among hard-line eurosceptics;
    • the House of Commons has no majority this time for Letwin/Benn style wrecking tactics.
    • UK crashes out without a deal on January 31.

Eurointeligence Comments
    ​This is not a prediction, only one of many scenarios. But, from today’s perspective, it is more plausible than a second referendum or a customs union. We don’t think the opposition would help Johnson. After the next election, both Labour and the LibDems will compete for the pro-EU votes. The die-hard eurosceptics in the Tory party may feel less of a need to compromise if they believe their no-deal nirvana is possible.
    We don’t think that Brussels has really thought this through. If the goal is to avoid a no-deal Brexit, Macron’s strategy is a more promising route: put pressure on UK MPs to pass the bill by keeping the extension short. A three-month extension would bring back the uncertainty.
    Understanding the Setup

​I agree on all but bullet point 3: "Tories win with a small majority."
    A "small" majority most likely but not necessarily results in Johnson's deal.
    It's the large and especially moderate-sized wins that are the problems.
    My Scenario

1. Assume having won the election Johnson is at least somewhat ambivalent between No Deal and his deal.
    2. Assume a Tory majority of 20 or so, not counting DUP.
    3. Assume 15 of the Tories are still closet remainers, customs union backers, or No Deal advocates.
    4. Assume 30 ERG and Hard Brexit lovers still prefer No Deal.

If the Hard Brexit supporters hold support and DUP holds support, there is no majority for anything but No Deal.
    This is not at all far-fetched.
    Moreover, if Johnson was just faking wanting a deal to get re-elected, then even a small majority might suffice if the closet Remainers, customs union backers, and No Deal advocates are mostly outed from the Tory Party.
    Thus, any Tory win is more likely than now to result in No Deal.
    The hard-core No Deal advocates only went along with Johnson to ensure a "reasonable deal" they could live with.
    If they get a chance, and any Tory win with the right conditions (and there are numerous right conditions) may result in No Deal.
    Heads Johnson Wins, Tails Johnson Wins

Two days ago, I commented Brexit Coin Toss: Heads Johnson Wins, Tails Johnson Wins
    Flip a Coin
    Remainers have a choice. They can force elections and lose or they can pass the Johnson's deal and lose.
    There is no majority for another referendum.
    No Deal Liars Exposed

Labour MPs secretly think that all Leavers are numbskulls. They believed that if they could force a delay in Brexit, the working-class Eurosceptic thickoes would blame Boris. Now, that strategy lies in tatters. https://t.co/2cW49Ebc5g
    — Daniel Hannan (@DanielJHannan) October 23, 2019
    Johnson's Offer

Yes, and the fools still would not agree.

I suspect that offer will now be withdrawn! https://t.co/Rsr4qcGy1K
    — Mike "Mish" Shedlock (@MishGEA) October 23, 2019
    Expect Johnson to Withdraw Offer

Johnson offered an amendment that would have guaranteed not "crashing out" with a WTO agreement a year from now.
    That still was not enough for the "Stop No Deal" liars.
    In the event of election or even a short extension request, Johnson can safely withdraw that offer because the clock has nearly run out.
    Likely Outcome

Eurointelligence commented "The two most likely scenarios are that Johnson pulls the bill and goes for early elections, or a short extension to allow passage of the bill under a more relaxed timetable"
    I agree, while pointing out this Eurointelligence view, also the same as mine, and as described above: "We argue that the risk of a no-deal Brexit would increase with a three-month extension"
    In regards to that position, it's not just a small Tory victory that increases the chances of No Deal, but rather any Tory victory.
    Playing With Fire

If needed to win, Johnson can easily change his mind and court the Brexit Party while the Liberal Democrats and Labour remain seriously split.
    The polls indicate a victory outright, without such a deal.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...chance-no-deal

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As was widely expected following the defeat of a motion to fast-track his Brexit deal, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he will call for Parliament to vote to hold fresh elections on Dec. 12.

The prime minister will now bring forward a motion on Monday which, if passed, would dissolve parliament and allow a fresh election within weeks. Under the Fixed Term Parliament's Act, the vote will require the support of two-thirds of MPs.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/st...ections-dec-12

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Labour wont vote for the election because the polls has them losing big time.

Labour wont vote for the election because the polls has them losing big time.
    BJ needs to propose a law to change the Fixed Terms Parliaments Act.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boris says the government will go on 'strike' and only introduce the minimum in Parliament. He said they will call for an election or table motion for one every day until Labour vote for it.

check out the front pages of tomorrow's UK newspapers here:

https://news.sky.com/story/fridays-n...pages-11844212

Boris says the government will go on 'strike' and only introduce the minimum in Parliament. He said they will call for an election or table motion for one every day until Labour vote for it.

check out the front pages of tomorrow's UK newspapers here:

https://news.sky.com/story/fridays-n...pages-11844212
    GOOD!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boris Johnson’s EU withdrawal Bill went into extended limbo today as Jacob Rees-Mogg told MPs there are no plans for any Brexit debates next week.
    The Prime Minister announced a two-day “pause” in his Bill on Tuesday night after MPs backed it in principle but refused to pass a curtailed timetable for debates on the detail.
    Although ministers said the Commons would sit at “weekends and nights” to rush through the Bill, there are now no more sittings until Monday, meaning at least a week’s pause.
    Labour Whips, a twitter feed for Opposition chief whip Nick Brown’s team, said: “Jacob Rees-Mogg effectively confirms that the Government are split over whether to continue scrutiny of the deal and Withdrawal Bill. Not scheduled for next week.”
    Downing Street denied a split in Government over whether to try to force a general election before the Bill is passed. Sources at No 10 blamed the delay — revealed when Mr Rees-Mogg unveiled Government plans for the week ahead in the Commons — on the divisions in Parliament.

“We do not have clarity from the EU on what kind of extension [Brexit delay] we will be offered because Parliament handed control to the EU,” said a source.
    “We are in a holding pattern until we hear back from Brussels,” said the No10 source. The EU is expected to announce its decision tomorrow. Among debates announced for next week are those on Grenfell, the Animal Welfare Bill and tributes to the outgoing Speaker’s Chaplain.
    Meanwhile, Rebecca Long-Bailey six times ducked saying if Labour will back an “immediate” general election today amid a major split in the party over whether to keep Boris Johnson waiting until next year for a poll.
    The shadow business secretary refused to give a clear answer during a round of media interviews when she was repeatedly asked how Jeremy Corbyn will respond if challenged to agree to an election in coming days.
    A string of Labour MPs and some frontbenchers have told the Standard that Mr Corbyn will be hit by a revolt if he agrees to an election before Christmas with the Brexit deal still unresolved.
    One senior London MP said unpublished polling suggested Labour seats with strong Remain support would be endangered and target seats slip out of reach. The MP said there would be “irreparable damage” in the capital.
    On Sky News, Ms Long-Bailey conceded that “a number of MPs are worried about what will happen” in a general election.
    Mr Johnson is waiting for the EU to decide on how long a Brexit delay will be given to Britain before he decides on an election, which would require two-thirds backing in the Commons under the Fixed Term Parliament Act. Mr Corbyn said in September he would agree to a contest immediately if a long Brexit extension to January 31 was given.
    But when BBC Radio 4’s Today programme tried to pin down Ms Long-Bailey, she repeatedly sidestepped a clear answer, at one point saying it was “within the Prime Minister’s prerogative really”. She also pointed out that Mr Corbyn had now offered “a reasonable time frame” in which to scrutinise the Withdrawal Bill. Asked a sixth time, she said: “If he goes straight to calling for a general election, of course we will support a general election.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/brexit-delay-...114200642.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A pre-Christmas general election has moved a step closer after a government minister said it was the only way to break the Brexit deadlock and Labour appeared to give its backing.
    However, Boris Johnson was warned of parliamentary trench warfare if he tried to pass a bill to force the UK to the polls – including an attempt to give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote.
    The election talk was ramped up after the prime minister slammed the brakes on his Brexit deal when MPs threw out his attempt to ram it through the Commons in just three days without proper scrutiny.
    Robert Buckland, the justice secretary – and the cabinet’s arch-compromiser – agreed a winter election campaign would be far from ideal, but said: “That seems to me to be the only way to break this impasse.”
    Moments earlier, his Labour shadow Richard Burgon, asked if Jeremy Corbyn would help trigger a general election once the threat of a no-deal on 31 October has been removed, replied: “Yes.”
    However, there is a bitter fight at the top of Labour over whether to push for a Final Say referendum, not an election, not least because of the party’s disastrous poll ratings.
    If Labour still refuses to overturn the fixed term parliaments act, Mr Johnson could be forced to publish a one-line bill for an election in early December, which could then be amended.
    Ken Clarke, the veteran former Tory cabinet minister, predicted opposition parties would pounce on the chance to lower the voting age from 18 to 16.
    Iain Duncan Smith, the former Tory leader, called for an election if the opposition carried on “playing games” – even if it meant the prime minister declaring no-confidence in himself to get one.

Mr Buckland cast doubt on the EU agreeing the extension requested, saying: “Do you remember last time when we asked for an extension? The Europeans came back with a totally different date for a set of reasons that was theirs.”
    However, Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, said three months was his recommendation. A ‘flextension’ – allowing the UK to leave before 31 January, if it ratifies the deal – is highly likely.
    Mr Clarke warned a bill to trigger a December election would trigger a host of amendments, saying: “People will want to reduce the voting age to 16 for a start, but I think a lot of people will be thinking of a lot of other ingenious things they could put in.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/general-elect...071200330.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

EU ambassadors have agreed on the principle of granting Britain's request for another extension to the Brexit deadline but have yet to decide on the length of the new delay.
    Speaking Friday after EU ambassadors met with the EU Brexit chief negotiator Michel Barnier, European Commission spokeswoman Mina Andreeva said ambassadors "have agreed to the principle of an extension" and their work will "continue in the coming days."
    Britain is scheduled to leave the 28-nation bloc on Oct. 31 but has asked for a three-month extension to that deadline.
    A European diplomat, speaking anonymously because discussions are ongoing, said EU ambassadors will meet again on Monday to discuss the length of the Brexit extension.

More at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    EU ambassadors have postponed a decision on the duration of a possible Brexit extension until Oct. 28 or 29 over fears that the British opposition may reject the government's proposal for an early election, The Guardian reported Oct. 25, citing EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier.

The European Union remains unwilling to decide on the length of a Brexit extension before knowing whether the United Kingdom will hold a general election, whereas the British opposition won't support an early vote before the bloc grants a delay. The European Union is likely to support a "flextension" that delays Brexit with more than one deadline. However, the Labour Party remains skeptical and believes that Johnson could change the date of an election after the House of Commons approves the vote.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...delay-duration

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment