Thread: U.S. active-duty military presence overseas is at its smallest in decades

Thumbs up U.S. active-duty military presence overseas is at its smallest in decades

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Orange Man Bad
    U.S. active-duty military presence overseas is at its smallest in decades
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...st-in-decades/
    The number of active-duty U.S. military troops stationed overseas has dipped below 200,000 for the first time in at least 60 years.
    Total US Troop deployment overseas -
    September 2017: 215,249
    September 2018: 172,797
    June 2019 (latest): 177,104

XNN
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cooked numbers.

For the Military and Civilian Personnel by Service/Agency by State/Country Reports, the DMDC data only reflects personnel who are permanently assigned for duty at these locations. Starting in December 2017, the table no longer includes personnel on temporary duty, or deployed in support of contingency operations.
    Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Cooked numbers.

Yawn.
    It may not be perfect information but the numbers are going down.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Fake news.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...-arabia-044502

Pentagon sends new wave of troops to Saudi Arabia even as Trump calls for ending wars

The Pentagon is sending a fresh wave of troops to Saudi Arabia to help defend the kingdom against Iran, despite President Donald Trump’s repeated pledges to end the U.S. military's commitments in the Middle East.

“I have ordered the deployment to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia of two additional fighter squadrons and supporting personnel,” including two batteries of soldiers manning Patriot air-defense missiles and another Army unit manning a larger air-defense missile system, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters at the Pentagon today.

The latest deployment, which includes two squadrons of fighter jets and three air-defense units, will bring to 3,000 the number of troops the U.S. has sent to Saudi Arabia since Iran attacked the kingdom’s oil infrastructure last month. “The evidence recovered so far proves that Iran is responsible for these attacks,” Esper said, noting that Germany, France and the United Kingdom have reached the same conclusion.

Trump has repeatedly pledged to pull U.S. forces back from overseas entanglements. “We want to bring our soldiers back home. These are endless wars,” he said Monday, in an apparent reference to the continuing U.S. troop commitments in the Middle East, Afghanistan and elsewhere. And yesterday, Trump falsely claimed that U.S. forces have been fully removed from Syria. Roughly 1,000 troops are deployed there.

Along with other deployments over the spring and summer “in response to Iranian provocations,” the new wave of units will push the total number of U.S. troops the Pentagon has added to the Middle East since May to 14,000, Esper noted.

Those earlier deployments included Air Force bombers, early-warning radar planes, drones, construction engineers to build up airbases, and warships. Some of the units deployed to existing U.S. bases in the region, while others, starting in July, reestablished an operational U.S. military presence at an airbase in Saudi Arabia. The Pentagon had pulled out of that airbase, leaving only an advisory presence in the kingdom, after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.
    More at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Temporary and not an active war zone, Trump has Khan negotiating between the Saudis and Iran so that will put an end to the problems there and he can't be criticized for bringing the troops home from the region.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bump

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Well if we are going to invade Saud and burn it to the ground that is something the general public and congress might support.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hopefully the number continues to go down.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Temporary and not an active war zone
    I've heard this somewhere before...

he can't be criticized for bringing the troops home from the region.
    What troops is he bringing home from where?
    Last edited by TheCount; 10-19-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

The United States has pulled out 2,000 troops from Afghanistan over the past year, leaving just over 12,000 in the country, according to the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported Oct. 21.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...commander-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. forces that crossed into Iraq as part of a pull-out from Syria do not have permission to stay and can only be there in transit, the Iraqi military said on Tuesday.

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said, however, that Washington aimed eventually to bring the troops withdrawing from Syria back to the United States.

“The aim isn’t to stay in Iraq interminably, the aim is to pull our soldiers out and eventually get them back home,” Esper said at the Prince Sultan Air Base near Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
    Esper said the details had not yet been worked out on how long the U.S. troops would stay in Iraq and he would be having discussions with his Iraqi counterpart on Wednesday.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1X10RE

Well played, DJTvsg, Well played.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The United States has pulled out 2,000 troops from Afghanistan over the past year, leaving just over 12,000 in the country, according to the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported Oct. 21.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...commander-says
    They don't count into the deceitful numbers that you posted in the OP anyway.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    They don't count into the deceitful numbers that you posted in the OP anyway.
    They aren't deceitful, they're the best numbers available.
    And I'm glad you recognize that the slow withdrawal from Afghanistan represents 2,000 MORE troops Trump is bringing home.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Many of them come home, switch over to contractor uniforms, sign big taxpayer paid contracts, then head back over. It's a distinction without a difference. It is purely coincidence that Erik Prince, brother of SecEd Betsy DeVos, is so closely tied in with this administration.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Many of them come home, switch over to contractor uniforms, sign big taxpayer paid contracts, then head back over. It's a distinction without a difference. It is purely coincidence that Erik Prince, brother of SecEd Betsy DeVos, is so closely tied in with this administration.
    Because nobody wanted Hillary Clinton, Trump got "democratically" elected...
    Because the Democrooks and Republicons are basically the same party, it really doesn't matter which puppet they select for president!

Since the “war on terror” began in 2001, US wars are increasingly being fought by hired mercenaries instead of “normal” army soldiers.
    For example, there are over 150,000 Pentagon-financed private contractors in Afghanistan today (75% of the western military personnel in Afghanistan).

When the United States invaded Iraq in 2003, of the $87 billion earmarked for the first year, $30 billion (34%) was budgeted for private contractors.
    Over the 8-year US occupation of Iraq, the largest private recipient of Pentagon contracts was the subsidiary of Cheney’s and Bush’s Halliburton, Kellogg Brown and Root, which grossed $40.6 billion.

The Pentagon now spends over $300 billion annually on private contracts. That’s 8% of all US federal expenditure. Because the Pentagon isn’t properly audited, we can’t be sure how much is properly spent.
    In 2011, the Commission on Wartime Contracting estimated that at least $60 billion of the tax money the Pentagon spent in Iraq and Afghanistan on private contractors from 2001 to 2011, should be classified as “fraud” or “waste”, $12 million per day: http://infobrics.org/post/29485/
    (https://www.globalresearch.ca/privat...ars-us/5691670)
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty