Thread: Trump’s Decision to Host G7 at Doral Resort Raises Questions About Struggling Property, Deutsc

Trump’s Decision to Host G7 at Doral Resort Raises Questions About Struggling Property, Deutsc

August is such a lovely time to host meetings in Florida. All that wonderful humidity and heat. No place better in the whole country.

https://fortune.com/2019/10/18/trump...deutsche-bank/

Trump’s Decision to Host G7 at Doral Resort Raises Questions About Struggling Property, Deutsche Bank Loans

Having first floated the idea of hosting next year’s G7 summit at his Trump National Doral resort in August, President Trump has now pulled the trigger on a move that’s already widely raised questions about a conflict of interest and whether he’s illegally profiting from his office.

After all, the Trump Organization still owns and operates the South Florida golf resort, which it bought out of bankruptcy for $150 million in 2012. And with scores of foreign officials and dignitaries set to flock to Doral in June, the decision has reignited concerns that the president is in violation of the Constitution’s emoluments clause, which prohibits U.S. officials from receiving payments or gifts from foreign governments.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s acting chief of staff, appeared to try to preempt such concerns Thursday in announcing that Doral would indeed host the international gathering. He noted that the administration’s vetting process concluded that Doral is “by far and away, the best physical facility for this meeting,” and stressed that Trump would not profit from staging the summit at his own property. In fact, Mulvaney said, Doral would host the G7 “at cost.”

Yet it’s unclear how the Trump Organization would ensure that it is the case. For instance, Mulvaney didn’t specify whether the company would refuse compensation and opt to pay for the event out of its own pocket. (The most recent G7 summit, held this year in Biarritz, France, reportedly cost French taxpayers north of $40 million—with previous summits in Canada and Italy said to have cost considerably more.)

It’s also unclear why it would choose to go to such lengths, given the extent to which Doral has struggled financially in recent years. In May, the Washington Post reported that the 643-room resort had been hit by declining revenues and profits between 2015 and 2017, with both occupancy and room rates well below competing resorts in its area. The New York Times, meanwhile, reported that Doral actually lost money to the tune of $2.4 million in 2014, the most recent year for which the Times was able to obtain documents specifying the Trump Organization’s profits.

That’s less than ideal, especially considering that the Trump Organization borrowed $125 million from its most prolific creditor, Deutsche Bank, to finance the resort’s acquisition and renovation. Like many of Deutsche Bank’s dealings with Trump, that loan remains shrouded in mystery; it’s unclear how much of the balance on the loan remains outstanding, or when it comes due for repayment. A spokesperson for Deutsche Bank declined to comment on the matter.

In a statement to Fortune, a Trump Organization spokesperson said the company is “excited to have been asked to host the 2020 G7 summit at Trump National Doral,” and described the resort as “a world-class facility with an unrivaled hospitality team.”

While accusations of profiteering are not new to the Trump administration—they continue to be raised about the goings-on at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., for instance—the move to hold such a high-profile event at one of the president's own properties is raising eyebrows to an unprecedented extent.

Doral's recent struggles could very well amplify the scrutiny. With the Trump Organization almost certainly still indebted on an underperforming asset, the revenues that would be generated by the G7 summit, both from the U.S. government and visiting foreign delegations, would likely be a boon to the resort’s shaky bottom line.

And besides the dollars and cents, hosting the G7 would undoubtedly boost Doral’s prestige and reputation—much as the president’s meetings at Mar-a-Lago, with the likes of Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe and Chinese president Xi Jinping, have helped establish his Palm Beach, Fla., resort as the “Southern White House.”

But with congressional Democrats already kicking up a storm over the decision, it appears hurricane season is in full force at Trump's Florida property.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

LOL at the desperate Trolls.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

To give credit where due, Foxnews is handling this issue in a much more mature and fair-balanced way than CNN:

How Fox News is handling Trump hosting the G-7 summit at his own resort

Eric Kleefeld
    Published 10/18/1

Yesterday, in one of the most blatant promotions of the president’s personal properties, the Trump administration announced that next year’s G-7 summit will be hosted at Trump National Doral golf resort in Miami.
    The FoxNews.com homepage actually claimed a “Home Field Advantage” for the president — and for a time, positioned the language next to a series of ethics accusations against Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s son Hunter.

On Fox, various “news”-side and “opinion”-side personalities gave mixed reactions to the news. Some jokingly claimed that the decision would needle Trump’s critics over ethics concerns, while others counseled in earnest that it really is a bad idea politically.
    Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano was quick out of the gate with some very sharp criticism, declaring outright that this move is a violation of the Constitution, saying, “This is about as direct and profound a violation of the Emoluments Clause as one could create.”

G-7 86'D
    DORAL WON'T HOST

BREAKING: Trump Announces Doral Resort No Longer Host Site for G-7

By Connor Mannion Oct 19th, 2019, 9:57 pm
    862 Comments

President Donald Trump says he will not hold the next G-7 Summit at a resort he owns, a move that drew immediate criticism last week when it was announced.

….Therefore, based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020. We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately. Thank you!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 20, 2019

Related

FLAT: Media's 'Trump always folds' narrative harms alpha image at a crucial time

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    NOt just desperate, it's risen to levels of 'crazed and irrational hostility' now as so eloquently put in this tweet:

….Therefore, based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020. We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately. Thank you!

Unfortunately, Dems may have won another round of battle (of alpha/beta male, FLAT) narratives but they have not won the war most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    NOt just desperate, it's risen to levels of 'crazed and irrational hostility' now as so eloquently put in this tweet:

Unfortunately, Dems may have won another round of battle (of alpha/beta male, FLAT) narratives but they have not won the war most likely.
    Trump won another round of "laser pointer" but you are so desperate you keep pushing stupid weak attacks on him without understanding that it only helps him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump won another round of "laser pointer" but you are so desperate you keep pushing stupid weak attacks on him without understanding that it only helps him.
    This is the best defense you can come up with for a president clearly and obviously trying to use his office to slide business to his own company?

This back atcha:

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This is the best defense you can come up with for a president clearly and obviously trying to use his office to slide business to his own company?

This back atcha:
    LOL

He was NOT clearly and obviously trying to use his office to slide business to his own company.
    Just keep pushing garbage like that and nobody will listen to you.

It would have been ideal for security purposes and he could have let the government use it for cost instead of having to pay a profit to some other venue.
    We already had this nonsense with his resort in Scotland so he knew the MSM and trolls would expose themselves by making wild claims.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It would have been ideal for security purposes...
    Not according to the usual security people who handle these things. They like waterfront property because it reduces the perimeter they have to cover.

...he could have let the government use it for cost...
    ...but you don't have the thinnest shred of evidence he had any intention of doing so.

But, of course, you fancy yourself the Thought Police, and stand as ready to testify what's in Trump's head as you do mine.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-20-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Not according to the usual security people who handle these things. They like waterfront property because it reduces the perimeter they have to cover.
    There are other concerns than that and him owning the place makes it a lot easier to deal with them.

...but you don't have the thinnest shred of evidence he had any intention of doing so.
    So he's guilty until proven innocent?
    Are you Brennan?
    You haven't the slightest shred of evidence he was going to charge anything at all.
    I thought I was doing something very good for our Country by using Trump National Doral, in Miami, for hosting the G-7 Leaders. It is big, grand, on hundreds of acres, next to MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, has tremendous ballrooms & meeting rooms, and each delegation would have…
    …..its own 50 to 70 unit building. Would set up better than other alternatives. I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA. But, as usual, the Hostile Media & their Democrat Partners went CRAZY!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Are you still holding up Trump's own post-getting-busted spin as proof of something?

Haven't you spent enough time spinning his previous lies as 3D Chess to know better?

"people are innocent, you know, until alleged to be involved in some kind of criminal activity." John Brennan.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"people are innocent, you know, until alleged to be involved in some kind of criminal activity." John Brennan.
    That has never stopped you from filling the air with accusations.

That has never stopped you from filling the air with accusations.
    Am I trying to get someone impeached and prosecuted?

Accusations are what they are, assuming that the MSM is telling the truth and that Trump is guilty and should be thrown out is something else.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Am I trying to get someone impeached and prosecuted?

Accusations are what they are, assuming that the MSM is telling the truth and that Trump is guilty and should be thrown out is something else.
    Link?

I've heard no one say any of that for this silliness. And I don't think anyone will, as his dastardly plot was foiled a-bornin'.

If you're talking about impeaching the man for this Doral faux pas, you're the only one. Are you trying to manufacture talking points for the liberal media?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-20-2019 at 08:29 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Link?

I've heard no one say any of that for this silliness. And I don't think anyone will, as his dastardly plot was foiled a-bornin'.

If you're talking about impeaching the man for this Doral faux pas, you're the only one. Are you trying to manufacture talking points for the liberal media?
    Judge Swamp:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/napolita...-could-create/

And it's just part of the general "IMPEACH ORANGE CRIMINAL" narrative.

And there isn't one shred of evidence for it, you again repeat the claim that it was a dastardly plot because you are firmly in the grip of the MSM TDS narrative.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see five headlines at that link, and none of them are about this sideshow.

Who's having delusions again?

I see five headlines at that link, and none of them are about this sideshow.

Who's having delusions again?
    You didn't even click on it, did you?

It goes straight to this story:

Napolitano on Doral G7: ‘As Direct and Profound a Violation of the Emoluments Clause As One Could Create’

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You didn't even click on it, did you?
    I said I saw five unrelated headlines there. Are you accusing me of lying, or hallucinating?

Where it takes you is another question. We can also both click this site's "settings" button and wind up in different places. And to tell you the truth, I don't want any of your cookies.

Have you gone too Matt Collins to paste an excerpt? Or do you not want everyone to see the molehill you're trying to sell as a mountain?

I said I saw five unrelated headlines there. Are you accusing me of lying, or hallucinating?
    Lots of sites have links to other stories at the top of a story, if you went there you somehow missed the headline and the story the link goes to.
    Maybe because you wanted to.

Where it takes you is another question. We can also both click this site's "settings" button and wind up in different places. And to tell you the truth, I don't want any of your cookies.
    I don't have any cookies and that link only goes one place, the name of the story is right in the link:

napolitano-on-doral-g7-as-direct-and-profound-a-violation-of-the-emoluments-clause-as-one-could-create

Have you gone too Matt Collins to paste an excerpt? Or do you not want everyone to see the molehill you're trying to sell as a mountain?
    This whole tangent is irrelevant to anything other than your attempts to deny that you are pushing an MSM narrative that has ZERO evidence other than groundless accusations and assumptions of guilt so it doesn't deserve anything more than a link but I posted the headline when you said you couldn't find the story anyway.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Unfortunately, media allegations against MAGA and family have been made non-stop since day 1:

CBS News May 29, 2018

Ivanka Trump exits White House conference call after questions on Chinese trademarks

WASHINGTON -- While the White House press corps has figured out to employ the "listening mode" function for conference calls with reporters, the administration is still mastering the task of gracefully dodging awkward questions that officials do not want to answer.
    On a background call hosted by Ivanka Trump and Holli Richmond, director of the President Trump's Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition, in advance of "White House Sports and Fitness Day," one of the hosts dropped off of the call after being asked to comment on her father's new exercise regimen and questions pertaining to Chinese trademarks being awarded to her fashion brand.
    "You can refer those questions to the press office," press aide Ninio Fetalvo told reporters Tuesday after Ivanka Trump was asked to address questions about her company.
    The White House did not respond to CBS News' request for comment.

CNN followed up by asking Ivanka Trump for an update on her father's fitness after Dr. Ronny Jackson notified the White House press corps earlier in the year that he had advised the president to lose some weight in 2018.
    "So Ivanka had to step out for another meeting, but Holli is here to take on the additional questions," Fetalvo replied after a brief pause.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ivanka-...ks-2018-05-29/

Even Foxnews hosts starting to link MAGA to Swamp

Thumbs up Andy Napolitano - draining the swamp

Gotta love Trump's graft and corruption attempt at Doral being thwarted by a vigilant media.

Andy Napolitano is draining the swamp.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't have any cookies...
    You don't have any cookies?

So you're accessing the internet without a computer? We aren't even hearing you over our radios, you're standing outside projecting?

You're logged in to an account on this site but have no cookies? Have you ever once taken a moment to think about a statement before categorically denying it?

To quote you, LOL.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The MAGA is good. The MAGA is wise.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV