Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President Trump states that US Troops will remain in Syria

President Trump states that US Troops will remain in Syria

As I have said, I am withdrawing the remaining United States service members from northeast Syria. As United States forces have defeated the ISIS physical caliphate, United States troops coming out of Syria will now redeploy and remain in the region to monitor the situation and prevent a repeat of 2014, when the neglected threat of ISIS raged across Syria and Iraq. A small footprint of United States forces will remain at At Tanf Garrison in southern Syria to continue to disrupt remnants of ISIS.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...rtheast-syria/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For now.
    They will leave later.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

For now.
    They will leave later.
    Hmm.... I think I've heard this line before...
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Ok but some people might have forgotten already, no harm in a repeat of an old statement for a refresher.

That said, if a new civil started between Putin's emerging allies and Israel's recent enemies Iran and Turkey as result of latest MAGA encouraged fighting in Syria, without any US troops there we'll have no way to extert influence.

With Putin's help, Iran and Turkey were becoming dangerously close

Smart 3D move by MAGA to invite Turkey's military in Syria , a step that Iran had opposed.
    Credit shoud also go to Netanyahu and Sheldon Adelson for going along with such a visionary step.

For now.
    They will leave later.
    Care packages sent

"It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Care packages sent

I've had these before. They're absolutely delicious.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post

Please. Those new-fangled wimpy things?

Real now and laters ripped your teeth right out of your head.
    And it took about 20 minutes to eat just one. (including the bits of wrapper that you could never quite get off.)

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Please. Those new-fangled wimpy things?

Real now and laters ripped your teeth right out of your head.
    And it took about 20 minutes to eat just one. (including the bits of wrapper that you could never quite get off.)
    I remember those. If you chomped down, you couldn't open your mouth back up.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At Tanf Garrison in southern Syria to continue to disrupt remnants of ISIS.
    Another lie There is no remnants of ISIS unless of course the American forces at southern Syria base are actually training the Jihadists.

Syrian Army is going into Raqqa...

Don't be shocked if we pull completely out of Syria....

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Syrian Army is going into Raqqa...

Don't be shocked if we pull completely out of Syria....
    Does that pull out include Al Tanf area? cos then will I celebrate this "pullout" along with the rest of the forum.

You are correct that when & IF we pull out of Al-Tanf it will be checkmate for complete removal of US troops in Syria.

Trump criticizing Obama (today) for NOT sending more troops to Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump criticizing Obama (today) for NOT sending more troops to Syria.

That's not what he is saying, everyone knows O'Bummer started and exacerbated the war.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Does that pull out include Al Tanf area? cos then will I celebrate this "pullout" along with the rest of the forum.
    It will, Trump has always said it would be a phased withdrawal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It will, Trump has always said it would be a phased withdrawal.
    "We will leave Syria very soon." Trump- March, 2017.

"All of our troops will be out of Syria in 30 days." Trump- December, 2018.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's not what he is saying, everyone knows O'Bummer started and exacerbated the war.
    Actually that was Assad.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...bill-whitaker/

Admiral Vladimir Komoyedov is the chairman of the Russian Parliament's Defense Committee. He was involved in the planning of the Syrian mission.
    Bill Whitaker: I'm just wondering if you believe that Assad has a role in the future of Syria?

Vladimir Komoyedov: The problem is that he has lost some of his authority. The people themselves must figure out, in elections, whom to follow and how to build their lives, which have been essentially ruined in Syria.

Ruined, in large part, by President Assad's own military. We got the sense Admiral Komoyedov is not crazy about the Syrian president, who has dropped bombs on his own people. The admiral used a derogatory term to describe Assad, then asked that we not repeat it on TV.

Vladimir Komoyedov: We know why the opposition was formed. It was formed due to the mistakes of the president of Syria himself.

Wrong, the rebels would never have been more than a nuisance and a small law enforcement problem without O'Bummer and other western countries meddling.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wrong, the rebels would never have been more than a nuisance and a small law enforcement problem without O'Bummer and other western countries meddling.
    It is impossible for people to decide to protest an oppressive government on their own. Nobody would ever do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I mean, it's guaranteed to be true on a long enough time horizon. And for redhats, no matter when it happens, it will be another promise Trump kept.

It is impossible for people to decide to protest an oppressive government on their own. Nobody would ever do such a thing.
    We are talking about the war NOT the protests.

There would not have been a war without O'Bummer & Friends.

And you are still unable to explain how Trump was supposedly saying O'Bummer should have sent more troops, you just made that up.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We are talking about the war NOT the protests.

There would not have been a war without O'Bummer & Friends.

And you are still unable to explain how Trump was supposedly saying O'Bummer should have sent more troops, you just made that up.
    The war was started when Assad sent the military after peaceful protesters. Then all kinds of other groups in the region got involved.

The war was started when Assad sent the military after peaceful protesters. Then all kinds of other groups in the region got involved.
    That's not a war, especially if you buy the line that it was peaceful protestors, it wasn't a war until O'Bummer sent the opposition arms and training.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's not a war, especially if you buy the line that it was peaceful protestors, it wasn't a war until O'Bummer sent the opposition arms and training.

How do YOU think the war actually started? When Obama sent 10,0000 troops into Syria?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How do YOU think the war actually started? When Obama sent 10,0000 troops into Syria?
    When he armed and trained the opposition.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

When he armed and trained the opposition.

Which was long after the civil war had already started. That was a reaction to the war- not the beginning of it.

As for the Tweet- Trump claims that Obama could have done something to stop the Syrian civil war. Short of sending in thousands of US troops, there would have been no other way. Trump says he wasted his time looking for a political settlement. Military is the other option.

“About 500,000 human beings were killed in Syria while Barack Obama was president & leading for a “political settlement” to that civil war.

Which was long after the civil war had already started. That was a reaction to the war- not the beginning of it.
    Who says so?
    When does some small time terrorism become a war?
    When did we really get involved?

As for the Tweet- Trump claims that Obama could have done something to stop the Syrian civil war. Short of sending in thousands of US troops, there would have been no other way. Trump says he wasted his time looking for a political settlement. Military is the other option.

The 3rd way is what Trump is doing, pull out and let it end.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So zippy can u answer me this question, what does Assad gain from escalating the conflict? I can tell u what Obama gains. He gets the regime change he is looking for.

I love how u bolded the quote from the Russian like any president who makes a mistake deserves a foreign backed mercenary destroying the country.

It's posts like this that make me wonder if u have a soul.

Who says so?
    When does some small time terrorism become a war?
    When did we really get involved?
    Never let facts get in the way of propaganda.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14703995

2011 March - Security forces shoot dead protestors in southern city of Deraa demanding release of political prisoners, triggering violent unrest that steadily spread nationwide over the following months.

President Assad announces conciliatory measures, releasing dozens of political prisoners, dismissing government, lifting 48-year-old state of emergency.

2011 May - Army tanks enter Deraa, Banyas, Homs and suburbs of Damascus in an effort to crush anti-regime protests. US and European Union tighten sanctions.

2011 June - The IAEA nuclear watchdog decides to report Syria to the UN Security Council over its alleged covert nuclear programme reactor programme. The structure housing the alleged reactor was destroyed in an Israeli air raid in 2007.

Opposition organises
    2011 July - President Assad sacks the governor of the northern province of Hama after mass demonstration there, eventually sending in troops to restore order at the cost of scores of lives.

2011 October - New Syrian National Council says it has forged a common front of internal and exiled opposition activists.

2011 November - Arab League votes to suspend Syria, accusing it of failing to implement an Arab peace plan, and imposes sanctions.

2012 February - Government steps up the bombardment of Homs and other cities.

2012 March - UN Security Council endorses non-binding peace plan drafted by UN envoy Kofi Annan. China and Russia agree to support the plan after an earlier, tougher draft is modified.

2012 June - Turkey changes rules of engagement after Syria shoots down a Turkish plane, declaring that if Syrian troops approach Turkey's borders they will be seen as a military threat.

2012 July - Free Syria Army blows up three security chiefs in Damascus and seizes parts of the city of Aleppo in the north.

2012 August - Prime Minister Riad Hijab defects, US President Obama warns that use of chemical weapons would tilt the US towards intervention.

2012 October - Fire in Aleppo destroys much of the historic market as fighting and bomb attacks continue in various cities.

2012 November - National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces formed in Qatar, excludes Islamist militias. Arab League stops short of full recognition.

2012 December - US, Britain, France, Turkey and Gulf states formally recognise opposition National Coalition as "legitimate representative" of Syrian people.

2013 January - Syria accuses Israel of bombing military base near Damascus, where Hezbollah was suspected of assembling a convoy of anti-aircraft missiles bound for Lebanon.

2013 September - UN weapons inspectors conclude that chemical weapons were used in an attack on the Ghouta area of Damascus in August that killed about 300 people, but do not allocate responsibility. Government allows UN to destroy chemical weapons stocks, process complete by June 2014.

2013 December - US and Britain suspend "non-lethal" support for rebels in northern Syria after reports that Islamist rebels seized bases of Western-backed Free Syrian Army.

2014 January-February - UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva fail, largely because Syrian authorities refuse to discuss a transitional government.

2014 March - Syrian Army and Hezbollah forces recapture Yabroud, the last rebel stronghold near the Lebanese border.

2014 June - Islamic State of Iraq and Syria militants declare "caliphate" in territory from Aleppo to eastern Iraqi province of Diyala.

2014 September - US and five Arab countries launch air strikes against Islamic State around Aleppo and Raqqa.

2015 January - Kurdish forces push Islamic State out of Kobane on Turkish border after four months of fighting.

2015 May - Islamic State fighters seize the ancient city of Palmyra in central Syria and proceed to destroy many monuments at pre-Islamic World Heritage site.

Jaish al-Fatah (Army of Conquest) Islamist rebel alliance takes control of Idlib Province, putting pressure on government's coastal stronghold of Latakia.

Russian intervention

2015 September - Russia carries out its first air strikes in Syria, saying they target the Islamic State group, but the West and Syrian opposition say it overwhelmingly targets anti-Assad rebels.

2015 December - Syrian Army allows rebels to evacuate remaining area of Homs, returning Syria's third-largest city to government control after four years.

2016 March - Syrian government forces retake Palmyra from Islamic State with Russian air assistance, only to be driven out again in December.

2016 August - Turkish troops cross into Syria to help rebel groups push back so-called Islamic State militants and Kurdish-led rebels from a section of the two countries' border.

2016 December - Government troops, backed by Russian air power and Iranian-sponsored militias, recapture Aleppo, the country's largest city, depriving the rebels of their last major urban stronghold.

2017 January - Russia, Iran and Turkey agree to enforce a ceasefire between the government and non-Islamist rebels, after talks between the two sides in Kazakhstan.

US intervenes

2017 April - US President Donald Trump orders a missile attack on an airbase from which Syrian government planes allegedly staged a chemical weapons attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun.

2017 May - US decides to arm the YPG Kurdish Popular Protection Units. These fight alongside the main opposition Syrian Democratic Forces, which captures the important Tabqa dam from Islamic State.

2017 June - US shoots down Syrian fighter jet near Raqqa after it allegedly dropped bombs near US-backed rebel Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

2017 July - The Lebanese militant group Hezbollah and the Syrian army launch a military operation to dislodge jihadist groups from the Arsal area, near the Lebanese-Syrian border.

Islamic State retreats
    2017 October-November - The Islamic State group is driven from Raqqa, its de-facto capital in Syria, and Deir al-Zour.

2018 January - Turkey launches an assault on northern Syria to oust Kurdish rebels controlling the area around Afrin.

2018 April - Claims of a new chemical attack in Eastern Ghouta's main town of Douma prompt the US, Britain and France to carry out a wave of punitive strikes on Syrian targets.

2018 July - Syrian army recaptures almost all of the south of the country, up to the borders with Jordan and Israeli-held territory.

2018 September-December - Kurdish-led SDF forces launch offensive that reduces Islamic State territory to a tiny enclave on the Iraqi border.

2019 October - US withdraws troops from northern Syria, prompting Turkey to attack US Kurdish allies in the area.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.

I thought the issue at hand was who escalated the war. Can we please get back to that topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast