Thread: Dutch family 'waiting for end of time' discovered in basement

Dutch family 'waiting for end of time' discovered in basement

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50054044

A family who spent nine years in a basement "waiting for the end of time" have been discovered by police in the Netherlands after one of them turned up at a local pub, reports say.

A man of 58 and a family with young adults aged 18 to 25 were living at a farm in the province of Drenthe.

They were found after the eldest of the children ordered beer at a bar in the nearby village of Ruinerwold.

He then told staff he needed help, broadcaster RTV Drenthe reported.

The older man, who has been arrested, was initially assumed to be the father, but local mayor Roger de Groot later told reporters that was not the case. Nor was the man the owner of the farmhouse, Mr de Groot said, adding: "I've never seen anything like it."

The public broadcaster said that the family had been living in isolation waiting for the end of time. Unconfirmed reports said the children's father was among those found.

Bar owner Chris Westerbeek described how a man had come in, ordered five beers and drunk them.

"Then I had a chat with him and he revealed he had run away and needed help... then we called the police," he said.

He added: "He had long hair, a dirty beard, wore old clothes and looked confused. He said he'd never been to school and hadn't been to the barber for nine years."

"He said he had brothers and sisters who lived at the farm. He said he was the oldest and wanted to end the way they were living."

Officers visited the remote farmhouse and carried out a search. They discovered a hidden staircase behind a cupboard in the living room that led down to a basement room where the family were housed.

Ruinerwold is a village with a population of less than 3,000. The farm is outside the village and is accessible by a bridge over a canal.

The farm, which is part-hidden behind a row of trees, also has a large vegetable plot and a goat.

A neighbour told Dutch media that he had only ever seen one man on the farm, no children, and that there had been animals on the grounds, such as geese and a dog.

The local postman said he had never delivered a letter there. "It's actually pretty strange, now I come to think about it," he told Algemeen Dagblad news website.

People in the area tweeted the news and one reporter posted images of the farmhouse, saying he had been asked to keep at a distance.

Police in Drenthe confirmed that a 58-year-old man had been arrested and was under investigation after refusing to co-operate.

"Yesterday someone reported to us [that they were] worried about the living conditions of people in a house in Buitenhuizerweg in #Ruinerwold," they wrote in a tweet. "We went there."

"We still have many unanswered questions," they said, adding that all scenarios were open and their investigation was fully under way.

The farmhouse and the surrounding grounds were cordoned off.

It was unclear how long the family had been in the basement or what had happened to the children's mother, although the mayor said she had died some time ago.

Some reports suggested the 58-year-old had suffered a stroke and had been confined to his bed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What crimes did they commit ?
    Do something Danke

The public broadcaster said that the family had been living in isolation waiting for the end of time.
    I didn't see anything about the "end of time." Where did the broadcaster get that from?

"Then I had a chat with him and he revealed he had run away and needed help... then we called the police," he said.
    Calling the police. You dumb $#@!.

"He said he had brothers and sisters who lived at the farm. He said he was the oldest and wanted to end the way they were living."
    So ending a crappy living situation is translated as the "end of time?" Is this where they get the idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Why was the 58 yr old arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I'd say child abuse or something in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I didn't see anything about the "end of time." Where did the broadcaster get that from?
    It was initially reported that the family was waiting in the house until the end of time.

Calling the police. You dumb $#@!.
    It's the Netherlands.

So ending a crappy living situation is translated as the "end of time?" Is this where they get the idea?
    Bad writing.. The guy (25y old, also the oldest of the 5 kids, had been inside since 16 I guess) wanted to end the way they were living. Their father had chosen for that way of living to wait that way until the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Why was the 58 yr old arrested?
    Likely because he kept his children confined inside his house.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

Likely because he kept his children confined inside his house.
    The exterior of the house/grounds look to be maintained and he had a stroke and was confined to his bed. They probably weren't confined inside the house.

Is this just a case of a family living differently than the rest of society and a teenager rebelling?
    Who knows. The only reason for the arrest, per the article, is "not cooperating."
    Not enough information. Maybe he was a total weirdo/child abuser. Or maybe he was just a man trying to raise his family in the way he saw fit without outside help. Who knows.

The older man, who has been arrested, was initially assumed to be the father, but local mayor Roger de Groot later told reporters that was not the case. Nor was the man the owner of the farmhouse, Mr de Groot said, adding: "I've never seen anything like it."
    I didn't read that part, initially. Well who was this guy? Were they actually being held captive? or is this guy an uncle or other family member?
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 10-16-2019 at 09:24 AM.

A Dutch father accused of holding six of his children against their will on an isolated farm for nine years is now also suspected of sexually abusing two of his other children, prosecutors said Thursday.The abuse allegations add a grim new element to a case that is shrouded in mystery and garnered huge attention across the Netherlands.
    The 67-year-old father and a 58-year-old man, who is reportedly an Austrian national and rented the farm to the family, are suspected of illegal deprivation of liberty and abuse for their alleged detention of six young adults on a farm in the rural farming village of Ruinerwold.
    They will remain jailed as investigations continue, prosecutors said in a statement. They are expected to appear in court in January.
    Police raided the farm, some 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Amsterdam, in October and found six people — the 67-year-old and five young adults. DNA tests have established that the 67-year-old is the father of the young adults.
    The raid came after a 25-year-old man, also part of the family, raised the alarm.
    Investigations have now established that the 67-year-old, whose identity has not been released by officials, fathered nine children with a woman who died in 2004.
    Prosecutors allege that he sexually abused two of the oldest three children, who had already left home. Details of when and where the alleged abuse happened were not released.
    Prosecution spokeswoman Debby Homans told national broadcaster NOS that the father still has not been questioned for health reasons. She declined to elaborate on the health issues, but media have reported that the father has suffered a stroke.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/dutch-prosecu...122341947.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Refusing to cooperate, silly.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and that there had been animals on the grounds, such as geese and a dog.
    Did the dog make it?
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Refusing to cooperate, silly.
    ...or holding the kids against their will and sexually abusing them.

Not everyone living outside society is a NAP-abiding libertarian hero, people; many are nutjobs.

Well, they're Dutch, so nobody should be surprised at anything that was written.

And yes, I have relatives in Netherlands, so I'm allowed to be RAYcis.

Merry Christmas.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.