Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democrats and Neocons to offer resolution demanding Trump reverse Syria decision

Exclamation Democrats and Neocons to offer resolution demanding Trump reverse Syria decision

The bipartisan war pigs!

Congressional Democrats will offer a resolution urging President Trump to reverse his decision to pull back troops from northern Syria, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on Sunday.

Schumer told reporters during a press conference in New York that he had spoken with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and that they would be offering a joint resolution that would touch on Trump's decision and Turkey's military actions in Syria.

"We will be putting on the floor of the Senate and the House ... a joint resolution that urges the president to undo his decision to do everything he can to protect the Kurds, to do everything that we must do to prevent ISIS terrorists from escaping, and make sure that Turkey respects existing agreements related to Syria and with the United States," Schumer said.

Trump's decision to pull back U.S. troops from northern Syria has sparked fierce bipartisan backlash on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers warned it would endanger allies, including the Kurds, and strengthen ISIS.

Schumer added on Sunday that Democratic leadership believes the resolution will get "strong bipartisan support," adding that Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, was supporting the resolution.

"I'm going to work so hard to pass this resolution, this joint resolution, this bipartisan resolution to try and get the president to undo what he has done," Schumer added.

The Democrats' resolution is still being drafted, according to Schumer, but in addition to urging Trump to reverse his decision, it will also call on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to end military action and on the United States to "ensure that the Turkish military respects existing agreements and acts with restraint." It also backs military and humanitarian support for the Kurds.

The resolution is the latest sign of the pushback Trump is facing from lawmakers.

McCaul and House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) unveiled sanctions legislation against Turkey on Friday. Meanwhile, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) said last week she would offer sanctions legislation, and Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) are expected to introduce a bill on Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper defended the decision to withdraw troops, arguing they would not have prevented Turkey's invasion of Syria.
    “I think they were fully committed,” Esper said of Turkey on “Fox News Sunday.” “We are not going to go to war, another war in the Middle East, against Turkey. ... That’s not what we signed up for.”
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...syria-decision

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wish he'd tell them..."You already gave me an resolution. It's called the War Powers Resolution. You abdicated your responsibility to my office. So I'm going to do as I want, when I want, and you can go pound sand."

They are doing this because wars have lined their pockets and enriched them immensely for years, now there is a President cutting off their money supply and sweetheart deals. They have to keep a steady income in those off-shore bank accounts.

I hope people wake up that most of these bastards do not give a rat's-ass about our children, husbands, mothers and fathers who were/are willing to sacrifice their lives to enrich them!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

These people are really showing their true colors.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Wish he'd tell them..."You already gave me an resolution. It's called the War Powers Resolution. You abdicated your responsibility to my office. So I'm going to do as I want, when I want, and you can go pound sand."
    Well said... must spread some...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Sorry War leftists what is happening in Northern Syria is Syrian matter. Pick it up and go home, America has done enough harm in the region.

"We will be putting on the floor of the Senate and the House ... a joint resolution that urges the president to undo his decision to do everything he can to protect the Kurds, to do everything that we must do to prevent ISIS terrorists from escaping, and make sure that Turkey respects existing agreements related to Syria and with the United States," Schumer said.
    And everyone in the region knows that America created ISIS to prolong the military occupations in the region. All an excuse to get the resources out of Syria.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Should be an interesting Democrat “debate” tomorrow.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    and.....

Just bear in mind that the same person cranking out this tweet also believes that he can attack Venezuela without authorization from congress. This is not real,

If they're serious about it they'll pass a declaration of war, not just an empty resolution expressing their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just bear in mind that the same person cranking out this tweet also believes that he can attack Venezuela without authorization from congress. This is not real,
    <shrug> The message was not for you and I. Is he wrong?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Trump can attack Venezuela without authorization from Congress, the Constitution doesn't matter anymore. Don't believe me? Just look at all of the presidents since 1945. These people do what ever they want and nobody has stopped them yet.

That certainly doesn't stop Trump from daring the Congress to declare war on Turkey if they really want him to use military force unconstitutionally. I think it is a smart move. If these neocons on both parties want war so badly, let them hold a vote and make the Commander In Chief execute their war.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Should be an interesting Democrat “debate” tomorrow.
    Will the Democrats be attacking white people again? or will they focus on actual things?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Will the Democrats be attacking white people again? or will they focus on actual things?
    The SJW Party always has that on the agenda.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Unlikely. Democrats don't know how to focus on actual things. Instead they want to waste their time on things that are stupid and irrelevant.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He doesn't "believe it," he knows he absolutely CAN. And he is calling them out on it.

I’m of two minds about this whole deal. I was against US intervention in Syria from the very beginning. Probably more against it than some on this very forum who probably would have supported Trump bombing Assad because it’s Trump. But I digress, we did intervene anyhow back with Obama still in the White House.

Geopolitically what Trump did was totally disastrous with huge implications for the region and more importantly to national interests over there. This really cannot be understated. And those implications could be good and bad depending on where someone sits on issues and views of foreign entities.

I am not going to rail against ending our involvement in Syria as long as this is part of a broader effort to reduce intervention in all parts of the world.

However I don’t see rationality and logic behind the President’s decisions. He was thinking about invading Venezuela. Doesn’t seem like someone with a solid plan of non intervention. More like he just does what he feels like.
    Last edited by ChiefJustice; 10-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    I’m of two minds about this whole deal. I was against US intervention in Syria from the very beginning. Probably more against it than some on this very forum who probably would have supported Trump bombing Assad because it’s Trump. But I digress, we did intervene anyhow back with Obama still in the White House.

Geopolitically what Trump did was totally disastrous with huge implications for the region and more importantly to national interests over there. This really cannot be understated. And those implications could be good and bad depending on where someone sits on issues and views of foreign entities.

I am not going to rail against ending our involvement in Syria as long as this is part of a broader effort to reduce intervention in all parts of the world.

However I don’t see rationality and logic behind the President’s decisions. He was thinking about invading Venezuela. Doesn’t seem like someone with a solid plan of non intervention. More like he just does what he feels like.
    Staying was totally disastrous with huge implications for the region and more importantly to national interests over there. This really cannot be understated.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Staying was totally disastrous with huge implications for the region and more importantly to national interests over there. This really cannot be understated.
    You interested in having an actual discussion or just being a dick?

You interested in having an actual discussion or just being a dick?
    I'm having a discussion, what are you doing?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm having a discussion, what are you doing?
    That’s not a discussion, it was you being an ass and providing nothing thoughtful about the topic at hand.

I think we both agree that we don’t want to be in Syria. It is not in your interest and not in my interest. Being there does nothing good for the average American.

In a grander geopolitical scheme it has huge implications regarding former allies, ISIS and foreign influence. That cannot be denied, our presence in this particular issue was beneficial for those aspects.

BUT, here I am with probably everyone on this forum, there was no timetable for us being there. Meddling in the Middle East has done nothing good for the country, just for those in power and unsavory allies who have used us for their own ends.

Let Russia try to deal with the mess and if they succeed or fail...it’s not my concern.

However Trump should double down and cut down on any ideas of foreign intervention and preemptive war. And his rhetoric has not been consistent to say the least.

That’s not a discussion, it was you being an ass and providing nothing thoughtful about the topic at hand.

I think we both agree that we don’t want to be in Syria. It is not in your interest and not in my interest. Being there does nothing good for the average American.

In a grander geopolitical scheme it has huge implications regarding former allies, ISIS and foreign influence. That cannot be denied, our presence in this particular issue was beneficial for those aspects.

BUT, here I am with probably everyone on this forum, there was no timetable for us being there. Meddling in the Middle East has done nothing good for the country, just for those in power and unsavory allies who have used us for their own ends.

Let Russia try to deal with the mess and if they succeed or fail...it’s not my concern.

However Trump should double down and cut down on any ideas of foreign intervention and preemptive war. And his rhetoric has not been consistent to say the least.
    If not now then when? There will NEVER be a "good" time to leave according to those who want us to play world cop but really "now" is always the best time to leave any of these tarbaby wars.

If you really want Trump to withdraw from other places and finish withdrawing completely from Syria then don't complain about his timing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If not now then when? There will NEVER be a "good" time to leave according to those who want us to play world cop but really "now" is always the best time to leave any of these tarbaby wars.

If you really want Trump to withdraw from other places and finish withdrawing completely from Syria then don't complain about his timing.
    Do you know how to read or simply chose not to? My post specifically says there was no timetable for us to be there which is one of the main problems.

I never said there was a “good time to leave”. Christ.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you know how to read or simply chose not to? My post specifically says there was no timetable for us to be there which is one of the main problems.

I never said there was a “good time to leave”. Christ.
    You said now was the wrong time.
    If now is the wrong time then YOU mast have some idea when the "right" time would be whether the military had a timetable or not, what would be the "right" time?

And even from an interventionist standpoint this withdrawal is a masterstroke for American strategy if not for the MIC, let Turkey who has been backstabbing us waste lives and money beating up on Syria while Assad shoulders the burden of defending the treacherous Kurds, Iran may even go to war with Turkey to defend Syria and waste their blood and treasure.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You said now was the wrong time.
    If now is the wrong time then YOU mast have some idea when the "right" time would be whether the military had a timetable or not, what would be the "right" time?

And even from an interventionist standpoint this withdrawal is a masterstroke for American strategy if not for the MIC, let Turkey who has been backstabbing us waste lives and money beating up on Syria while Assad shoulders the burden of defending the treacherous Kurds, Iran may even go to war with Turkey to defend Syria and waste their blood and treasure.
    You’re making crap up and I said nothing of the sort.

What do you mean “treacherous Kurds”? You cannot be serious when you utter this. Do you say that because they need Assad’s help with extermination as the alternative?

If that is what you mean, sounds like you support cowardice and surrender on their part after spending a lot of years bloodshed to defeat the one of the most dangerous terrorist organization of our time.

If you agree, like me, that we should not be in Syria then good. Stop there, don’t discuss the Middle East because you clearly have no idea what is going on over there.
    Last edited by ChiefJustice; 10-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.

You’re making crap up and I said nothing of the sort.
    Geopolitically what Trump did was totally disastrous with huge implications for the region and more importantly to national interests over there. This really cannot be understated.
    What do you mean “treacherous Kurds”? You cannot be serious when you utter this. Do you say that because they need Assad’s help with extermination as the alternative?

If that is what you mean, sounds like you support cowardice and surrender on their part after spending a lot of bloodshed to defeat the most dangerous terrorist organization of our time.
    Our Gallant Allies, the Kurds (and other fairy tales)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

None of those quotes represent what you are telling me I said. Give up on that one.

You said treacherous Kurds. That suggests they had engaged in some form of treachery in this whole situation, which they haven’t. Nor did I make the SDF out to be anything more noble than an ally in this particular fight. Be more clear next time.

None of those quotes represent what you are telling me I said. Give up on that one.
    You said Trump's move was disastrous, what did you mean?

And I already pointed out that it wasn't disastrous:

You said treacherous Kurds. That suggests they had engaged in some form of treachery in this whole situation, which they haven’t. Nor did I make the SDF out to be anything more noble than an ally in this particular fight. Be more clear next time.
    They are treacherous by cultural nature and they have double crossed us and helped ISIS in this fight before, we owe them nothing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You said Trump's move was disastrous, what did you mean?

And I already pointed out that it wasn't disastrous:

They are treacherous by cultural nature and they have double crossed us and helped ISIS in this fight before, we owe them nothing.
    It’s pretty obvious what I mean, as I spelled it out in that very paragraph. It IS a disaster geopolitically, it is foolish to even argue against that.

From your and my perspective, to be honest, we don’t give a $#@! about our political influence over the Middle East although our government and others making money off that influence certainly do.

That should explain it to you. Also say what you want about the Kurds but they never betrayed the US in this fight, that’s just a weird falsehood you are spewing.

Trump abandoned them. People will agree or disagree with that move but that’s what it is. Plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast