Thread: Students burn racist author's book after lecture...

Students burn racist author's book after lecture...

...but not for the reason you would think.

On Wednesday night, New York Times contributor and associate professor at the University of Nebraska, Jennine Capó Crucet, spoke about her novel Make Your Home Among Strangers to first-year students at Georgia Southern University (GSU). The book, required reading for some of GSU's First-Year Experience classes, focuses on the story of a Cuban-American girl from Miami who is accepted into a prestigious university in New York, and the struggles she faces to fit in with the predominantly white environment.

At the invitation from GSU, Crucet gave a talk addressing diversity, especially in a college atmosphere. It is one, according to a statement from Crucet, she has delivered at a number of other schools. However, the student's reaction to her lecture was "nothing close to... any of my previous campus visits."

When the floor was opened for a Q&A, some students questioned her authority to address white privilege at the predominantly white public university.

“I noticed that you made a lot of generalizations about the majority of white people being privileged,” one student said, according to the university's newspaper, the George-Anne. “What makes you believe that it’s okay to come to a college campus, like this, when we are supposed to be promoting diversity on this campus, which is what we’re taught. I don’t understand what the purpose of this was.”

“I came here because I was invited and I talked about white privilege because it’s a real thing that you are actually benefiting from right now in even asking this question,” Crucet said in response, according to the paper. “What’s so heartbreaking for me and what is so difficult in this moment right now is to literally have read a talk about this exact moment happening and it’s happening again. That is why a different experience, the white experience, is centered in this talk.”

According to Crucet, students immediately began shouting back and forth at one another. While some students raised more questions about race, other students apologized to the author for their peers. Tensions remained high on campus.

Some students believed Crucet made unfair comments regarding white people and claimed the author "wouldn't stop talking about white privilege" when she was supposed to be "promoting diversity."

"I feel that she addressed white students and white people in general unfairly," Andre St. Pierre, a freshman at GSU, who attended the lecture, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. "She stated multiple things about white people as a whole that placed all white people in that stereotype of rich and snobby, which is very untrue. Instead of promoting diversity and equality, it’s more like she hated on white people as a whole."
    In since-deleted tweets, captured in screenshots and published in the George-Anne, students who attended the lecture tweeted Crucet photos of her book with torn-out pages and accused her of being “racist” towards white people
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/univ...000132898.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

These kids were forced to buy a book and support someone who insulted them. From the video, the book burning looked pretty mellow compared to some campus riots that I have seen.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment