Thread: Average person swallows plastic equivalent to a credit card every week, report finds

Average person swallows plastic equivalent to a credit card every week, report finds

The average person now ingests five grams of plastic each week, the equivalent of a credit card, a new report by WWF has found.

Researchers found that people are consuming up to 102,000 tiny pieces of plastic of less than 1mm - 250 grams each year - with nearly 90 per cent coming from water, both bottled and tap.

Other foods with highest plastic levels include shellfish, beer and salt.

Alec Taylor, Head of Marine Policy at WWF, said: “Plastic is polluting our planet in the deepest ocean trenches, but now we know that it’s also polluting our own bodies, through the food we eat and the water we drink.

“This report must serve as a wake-up call to the UK Government - we don’t want plastic in our oceans, and we don’t want it on our plates.”

Plastic is now so ubiquitous in nature that is has been found at the bottom of the Mariana trench, locked in Arctic sea ice, and littering the remote peaks of the French Pyrenees.

The new figures were compiled by researchers at the University of Newcastle in Australia who analysed more than 50 studies on the ingestion of plastic by people.

It found that globally the average person consumes up to 1,769 particle of plastic each week from water, 182 from shellfish, 11 pieces from salt and 10 from beer.

In Europe around 72 per cent of tap water now contains plastic with nearly two plastic fibres found per 500ml.

Dr Thava Palanisami, microplastics researcher at the University of Newcastle, said: “While the awareness of microplastics and their impact on the environment is increasing, this study has helped to provide an accurate calculation of ingestion rates for the first time.

“Developing a method for transforming counts of microplastic particles into masses will help determine the potential toxicological risks for humans, moving forward.”

Although the long-term effects of plastic ingestion on the human body are not yet known, some studies have shown that beyond a certain exposure level, inhalation of plastic fibres produce mild inflammation of the respiratory tract.

Some types of plastic carry chemicals and additives which have been shown to influence sexual function, fertility and increase the occurrence of genetic mutations and cancers.

Left unaddressed, the amount of plastic in the ocean is expected to outweigh fish by 2050.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...it-card-every/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Left completely unaddressed in the article is the major sources of plastic refuse worldwide.

I hate plastic, what's wrong with paper and glass? Thanks a lot enviro-freaks.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Left completely unaddressed in the article is the major sources of plastic refuse worldwide.

I hate plastic, what's wrong with paper and glass? Thanks a lot enviro-freaks.
    I like my stainless steel cups and bottles. $#@! a bunch of plastic and glass. I do miss Styrofoam though, best single use cups ever.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I like my stainless steel cups and bottles. $#@! a bunch of plastic and glass. I do miss Styrofoam though, best single use cups ever.
    Stainless is great too.
    "The Patriarch"

In Europe around 72 per cent of tap water now contains plastic with nearly two plastic fibres found per 500ml.
    That is about four particles in a quart of water.

We buy a glass of water and throw away the glass (plastic bottle). We buy a salad and throw away the plate and fork. (bowl and fork). We get a cup of coffee (with a lid) and throw that away. So wasteful. And everything is made with plastic these days.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-11-2019 at 01:54 PM.

The secret is to have a shot of 100 proof bourbon or moonshine with your quart of beer . That way you will pass any plastic on through . If you really want to help the environment fire your still with the oil from the fat of liberals .
    Do something Danke

When did seahorses start using Q-tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    When did seahorses start using Q-tips?

Lol, I was waiting for that.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Plastic is nasty, no doubt. Microbeads they put in fluoride toothpaste and soaps is plastic too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner