Thread: "Live" running harvest update thread

"Live" running harvest update thread

We have shifted to hack and chop, get em out of the ground for the last two days. This is the smallest of the 3 grows, 2,000 plant license. It's 24*F now, the longer the plants that are still in the ground are out there, the sooner they're going to die. Several thousand over the three farms are still in the ground. Mostly immature Sativas that weren't even half weay done anyway, no big loss. The half medical/half recreational farm is all covered with the previously shown covers they had on earlier in the year to prevent pollination, so they should be good these two days of crazy cold. Great weather two weeks straight after that, no freezing.

That all being said, we've more than hit our numbers for the year, it's been a damn good year actually...Next year will be even more interesting-we just picked up 3 more licenses, 2 recreational and a medical, for a total of 15,000 more plants.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    Ya out in California we tend to harvest into late October.. I guess that's maybe one reason we have a reputation for having a little better bud.

Those plants are toast, right? What do you do with them?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya out in California we tend to harvest into late October.. I guess that's maybe one reason we have a reputation for having a little better bud.

Those plants are toast, right? What do you do with them?
    Nah, your "reputation" for better bud is nothing more than anecdotal word of mouth, as until now, that would be impossible to know who's bud is the best. Personally, I've smoked bud from all over the world, and haven't found anything to top Florida (for outdoor), and indoor it doesn't matter where it is lol.. But again, that's anecdotal.

No, most of this bud that has snow on it may be ok for tonight because it has snow on it, it actually insulates it and the bud won't go below 32. HOWEVER - it's supposed to warm up tomorrow, melt and THEN refreeze again, and that will for sure off kill what's left. That's exactly what happened to us last year, except we had to o many sativa heavy strains that weren't anywhere close to being done, and lost a bunch of stuff that was about to be pulled.

Even the freezer burned $#@! the extractors can pull off some magic, but they won't pay more than $150-200/lb for that. We're selling $7-800/lb right now for trimmed flower.

ETA: They normally harvest into late this month and even November here some years. Remeber, there's still 3/4 of another grow that has the rows covered, they keep going another couple weeks. My first year here I didn't move here until November, and there were still plants in the ground. These last two years have just been early freezes.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 10-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.

So do you have a barn where you hang them and let them dry while you are working on trimming them?

Nah, your "reputation" for better bud is nothing more than anecdotal word of mouth, as until now, that would be impossible to know who's bud is the best.
    The Emerald Triangle has taken 27 championships.

I always remember looking forward to getting good nor cal outdoor bud down here in so cal when I was younger.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Personally, I've smoked bud from all over the world, and haven't found anything to top Florida (for outdoor), and indoor it doesn't matter where it is lol.. But again, that's anecdotal.

I would think it would be a little hot/humid, but apparently sativa strains can thrive in those conditions and that makes sense.

Indica strains I think tend to like it a bit cooler, especially when they are juicing out the oils.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Emerald Triangle has taken 27 championships.

I always remember looking forward to getting good nor cal outdoor bud down here in so cal when I was younger.
    <longheavysigh> Competing with whom, themselves? Certainly not every state, or even 2 or 3, c'mon now. I'm among a group of 3rd generation weed/tomato/blueberry farmers in Florida, and our farm fetches some of the highest outdoor bud prices in the state...guess how many competitions we've entered, let alone any in Cali? Zero.

The best weed to this day I've ever smoked was some Mexican "dirt" weed seeds I grew one year in Florida in the '90's.

In 10 years, once it's all settled and legal everywhere, and there's some standard national Cannabis Cup, then we can have this argument.

I would think it would be a little hot/humid, but apparently sativa strains can thrive in those conditions and that makes sense.

Indica strains I think tend to like it a bit cooler, especially when they are juicing out the oils.
    Yes, they originate in the mountainous regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan, specifically the Hindu Kush area. I'm going back down there in a bit to take more pics, even hanging the Kandy Kush plants look phenomenal after 2 days in a row at 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So do you have a barn where you hang them and let them dry while you are working on trimming them?
    They're hanging in the first video of this post...

This time.

This is that buildings' first grow. We weren't anticipating another early hard freeze this year. We don't normally hang anything here, we cut the plant down, shuck the buds off, then throw them in the auto trimmers while the plant is still wet and alive. All the stems are put into a pile, then I or someone else runs it over with the backhoe ten times, and we till it in to the dirt for the next year. And by "pile" I mean 500 of those big contractor black trash bags full. That's just for 300 plants or so. People really don't realize how much work goes into, well, any farming.

That hanging and hand trimming $#@! is for the smaller growers, it takes too long and people cost more than the electricity to run the auto trimmers.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 10-10-2019 at 08:20 PM.

There's good and bad with that. If the area in Florida you live in has a lot of rain in the fall, the buds are prone to rot. We even see that here in Colorado a lot with the heavier sativas, and the relative humidity here is sub 20% most of the season. It's a lot finickier of a plant than most people realize, for sure, each strain has it's subtle quirks.

They're hanging in the first video of this post...

This time.

This is that buildings' first grow. We weren't anticipating another early hard freeze this year. We don't normally hang anything here, we cut the plant down, shuck the buds off, then throw them in the auto trimmers while the plant is still wet and alive. All the stems are put into a pile, then I or someone else runs it over with the backhoe ten times, and we till it in to the dirt for the next year. And by "pile" I mean 500 of those big contractor black trash bags full. That's just for 300 plants or so. People really don't realize how much work goes into, well, any farming.

That hanging and hand trimming $#@! is for the smaller growers, it takes too long and people cost more than the electricity to run the auto trimmers.
    Oh I see, I didn't realize that was a video.. that's why I asked a stupid question.

Oh I see, I didn't realize that was a video.. that's why I asked a stupid question.

We dry in these hanging net thingies. I'll be posting more video all night and over the next several weeks.

We dry in these hanging net thingies. I'll be posting more video all night and over the next several weeks.
    I was just figuring, if it's getting so cold that the plants need to be harvested and you couldn't trim as fast as you are bringing them in, that it might be good to have a heated barn that the harvested plants could be stored in while catching up on the trimming process. I guess if the barn was kept at around 70 degrees and the relative humidity was at most, 65%, those plants might still be good for trimming for a couple more days.

Don't know what you would do if the humidity was more than 65% though, seems like it would take many weeks to dry.

I was just figuring, if it's getting so cold that the plants need to be harvested and you couldn't trim as fast as you are bringing them in, that it might be good to have a heated barn that the harvested plants could be stored in while catching up on the trimming process. I guess if the barn was kept at around 70 degrees and the relative humidity was at most, 65%, those plants might still be good for trimming for a couple more days.

Don't know what you would do if the humidity was more than 65% though, seems like it would take many weeks to dry.
    Negative, after trim they're in the nets maybe 4-5 days at most. Hanging like this, well, we're all about to see how long it takes in a big ass greenhouse, two smaller greenhouses(all have been blacked out), two buildings and four conex boxes.

$#@!, lol.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lets take a break. In the bowl, Gorilla Glue "floor bud", or a piece of bud I picked up off the ground during harvest. I step on by accident more in an hour than most people will smoke this month. Moving along...

Grape Pie live budder at 83% THC. Then we have a wonderful Tangie full spectrum extract sitting at 80.79%. Does that .79 matter? Nope.

Rounding it off we have Colorado Chem 86% THCa crystals, for a total of 98% cannabinoids.

"Not your fathers marijuana"....Good. Because what was commercially available back then was weak sauce compared to this, and probably had pesticides and who knows what else in it.

Cheers.

Negative, after trim they're in the nets maybe 4-5 days at most. Hanging like this, well, we're all about to see how long it takes in a big ass greenhouse, two smaller greenhouses(all have been blacked out), two buildings and four conex boxes.

$#@!, lol.
    Are you able to keep the relative humidity low enough to get it to dry in 4-5 days??

I've heard horror stories about the relative humidity being so high in the fall (around 80-90% outdoors), it was nearly impossible to get it dry in such a short time as 4-5 days.

Doesn't it have a chance of mold if stored before it's below 65% RH?

Are you able to keep the relative humidity low enough to get it to dry in 4-5 days??

I've heard horror stories about the relative humidity being so high in the fall (around 80-90% outdoors), it was nearly impossible to get it dry in such a short time as 4-5 days.

Doesn't it have a chance of mold if stored before it's below 65% RH?
    lol, I'm in southern Colorado, it's very rarely above 20% RH in my area. I mean, it happens, it was at 95% one night a week ago, but it's very dry here as the rule.So yes, in the nets as little trimmed buds, 4-5 days max. We're not trying to dry entire colas, that takes too long, is an uneven dry and puts you at risk for molds.

In Florida, it would take well over a week or more to dry completely.

We actually run humidifiers in the buildings after we dry to make sure it doesn't get too dry, because it will turn into powder with a quickness out here if you're not careful.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 10-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.

lol, I'm in southern Colorado, it's very rarely above 20% RH in my area. I mean, it happens, it was at 95% one night a week ago, but it's very dry here as the rule.So yes, in the nets as little trimmed buds, 4-5 days max. We're not trying to dry entire colas, that takes too long, is an uneven dry and puts you at risk for molds.

We actually run humidifiers in the buildings after we dry to make sure it doesn't get too dry, because it will turn into powder with a quickness out here if you're not careful.
    Thank you for all the answers.

After it dried for those 4-5 days, do you then cure it and try to keep the relative humidity of the flowers at around 62%?

Lets take a break. In the bowl, Gorilla Glue "floor bud", or a piece of bud I picked up off the ground during harvest. I step on by accident more in an hour than most people will smoke this month. Moving along...

Grape Pie live budder at 83% THC. Then we have a wonderful Tangie full spectrum extract sitting at 80.79%. Does that .79 matter? Nope.

Rounding it off we have Colorado Chem 86% THCa crystals, for a total of 98% cannabinoids.

"Not your fathers marijuana"....Good. Because what was commercially available back then was weak sauce compared to this, and probably had pesticides and who knows what else in it.

Cheers.
    Here they call the "Full Spectrum" live resin sauce.

I don't have any budder, but I have some live resin sauce that looks like this

And this is actually the same batch I have of the 98% THCa

Both from a company called Raw Garden. They are local and awesome.

After it dried for those 4-5 days, do you then cure it and try to keep the relative humidity of the flowers at around 62%?
    This year, we were under contract with numerous extractors and wholesalers, so everything is already "sold"...

Any curing that happens does so in the plastic bins that we store over the winter. No, we don't use any particular curing process. The ones I know are for small scale.

And besides, I'd say 90% of what we sell goes to extractors. Most smoked flower that you would want cured is either greenhouse, or indoor grown. Our medical side does greenhouse here, and has 2 industrial warehouse type indoor medical grows in Colorado Springs. Our bread and butter is outdoor growing.

Here they call the "Full Spectrum" live resin sauce.

I don't have any budder, but I have some live resin sauce that looks like this

And this is actually the same batch I have of the 98% THCa

Both from a company called Raw Garden. They are local and awesome.
    It's called live resin sauce here as well, just depends on the extractor. The sign for this in the store said live resin sauce. We just filled our freezer tractor trailer up full of fresh frozen plants to make just that.

Here is some Raw Garden live resin sauce that looks more like yours

I dunno if they crunch up the one in my last post or if they just come out that way sometimes, but I have to crunch up the crystals when they are on the bigger side.

I have a good friend who made concentrate that looked like this:

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yep, you got it. Anything between 64-60% is fine. It will keep forever in glass at that RH, and that's great for several ounces, however, I think we have like 20 tons of it this year, and doing that in glass just isn't possible lol.

Here is some Raw Garden live resin sauce that looks more like yours

I dunno if they crunch up the one in my last post or if they just come out that way sometimes, but I have to crunch up the crystals when they are on the bigger side.

I have a good friend who made concentrate that looked like this:

MMMM I love crunching the crystals up. I just dumped all that 98% Colorado Chem into the sauce of that Tangie full spectrum.

I'd be so dead if this $#@! was toxic, or if I drank in it's equivalency. And now I'm off to go take more video and pics lol.

Updates much later. We lost at least 15 people today...scared of the snow. In their defense, most of the workers live an hour away in the springs, and the roads were supposed to be $#@!ty. No more snow here, just cold asf.

So I'm in my coveralls and layered up, gotta get as much of these things out of the ground as we can, it will be 20 by midnight.

Well, we tried. Still about 2,000 ladies in the ground. We're expecting an 80% mortality or worse. Everyone's beat, they've all been working 24 hours. One of the owners is still here runing water on and off to try to keep the roots warm. The plants only just now started showing signs of shock at nearly 2:30 local time and 19 degrees, and the buds all still look ok so far. These plants are all much more mature than last year, hopefully the buds won't be as damaged as they were last year.

Now, on to my main job. The body armor I'm wearing underneath this is making it feel even colder out here, feels like the cold steel is on my bare skin.

No damage this morning, the dusting of snow the previous night insulated the buds.These made it down to 14 degrees for 5 hours, unreal. More and videos on my Instagram in my signature.This was not the case last year, the plants were less mature and 80% of them turned black and were pretty much useless.