Thread: California gets its first statewide rent control, eviction protections

California gets its first statewide rent control, eviction protections

California gets its first statewide rent control, eviction protections

As living costs soar across California amid a severe housing crunch, millions of residents will be protected for the first time from large rent increases and losing their homes if they have been reliable tenants.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed AB1482 on Tuesday at a West Oakland senior center, imposing the first-ever statewide cap on rent increases and requiring landlords to provide a “just cause” when evicting tenants.

Supporters estimate the law will extend protections to an additional 8 million renters in California. Cities including San Francisco and Oakland already have rent-control ordinances that cover about 2 million people.

Newsom said it is a necessary first step to address the cost of living in California, an issue driving so many others in the state, including the high rates of poverty and homelessness. But he added that there is much more work to be done.

“We need to build more damn housing,” the governor said.

California is the third state this year to adopt significant rent regulations, giving renewed national momentum to the push for rent control. Newsom predicted that more states would follow.
    More: https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...t-14501172.php
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supply and demand. Too many people inevitably results in actions like rent control.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

“We need to build more damn housing,” the governor said.
    As you pass, with wild abandon, more legislation that makes it less profitable to build rentals and less likely that more new housing will be built.

Nobody can be this stupid.

The Bolshevik/Jacobin left is evil.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

The issue of affordable housing will never be resolved until government and neighborhood associations and their stupid, fiddle rules and regulations get out of the way so poor people can find a way to own property.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As you pass, with wild abandon, more legislation that makes it less profitable to build rentals and less likely that more new housing will be built.

Nobody can be this stupid.

The Bolshevik/Jacobin left is evil.
    The CaliComs have become “free market capitalists” all of a sudden. Well, kind of. You can’t “gentrify” existing places. Housing must be built in the backyards of rich people, but they better have cheap rent. This talking point is everywhere now, along with the leftist “YIMBY” movement (people who don’t own property or homes). It is all about blame.