Thread: The NBA Is China’s Willing Tool

The NBA Is China’s Willing Tool

The NBA Is China’s Willing Tool
    BY JAMES PALMER | OCTOBER 7, 2019

The Houston Rockets are enforcing Beijing’s political controls in America. They’re not alone.

Last Friday, Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets basketball team, tweeted his way into a $#@!storm—by supporting democracy. Morey’s now deleted image proclaiming “stand with Hong Kong” prompted a massive assault from Chinese state and social media—and a frantic rush by the NBA to disavow him. China is a $500 million market for the NBA, and it would do nothing to endanger that revenue. The Rockets’ management discussed firing him and forced its players to trot out lines about how much they loved China while the NBA issued an apology—couched in moderate terms in English and absolutely craven terms in Chinese. An American business, one that prides itself on supporting freedom of speech in America, became an arm of Chinese censorship.

The NBA isn’t just following Chinese law in China; it’s imposing the Chinese Communist Party’s rules internationally. Such submission goes far beyond the NBA itself. As it happens, last week’s episode of South Park launched a bitingly accurate attack on U.S. film giants like Disney that now make movies to meet the standards of Chinese censors. But myriad corporations have backed China’s attempts to censor and control beyond its borders, from hotel chains like Marriott firing staff who support Tibet to Western airlines adopting Chinese demands on Taiwan to Yahoo handing over the emails of dissidents. Groveling apologies to China have become the norm, even over the most inane misinterpretations.
    More: https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/07...willing-tools/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

So awkward for Kerr. This SJW doesn’t know about politics when it comes to a totalitarian communist nation. He wants to stay in his lane. None of his business. What will he say next? That functioning as the representative of a business is no time for politics? Such a tough choice. If it’s ChiComs, he’ll just keep his opinion to himself.

———

Why Warriors coach Steve Kerr is staying out of China-NBA debate
    Outspoken coach said he needs to learn more before joining international issue over Rockets GM’s tweet
    By Jon Becker - October 8, 2019

For now, Warriors coach Steve Kerr is sticking to sports when it comes to commenting on Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey.

Kerr, arguably the most socially conscious coach in professional sports, hesitated Monday night to jump into the international debate created by Morey’s tweet about China that also compromised the NBA’s massive business interests in that country.

When asked if he had a reaction to Morey’s tweet supporting Hong Kong protesters in their ongoing battle with the Chinese government, Kerr took a pass.

“Actually, I don’t,” Kerr told the assembled media members at the Warriors’ open practice at Chase Center Monday. “It’s a really bizarre international story and a lot of us don’t know what to make of it. It’s something I’m reading about, just like everybody is. But I’m not going to comment further than that.
    More: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/10/...na-nba-debate/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Good little communists. They can’t wait to rip off the mask and unveil a totalitarian Amerika.

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I get most of my news from Swordsmyth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

You should remember that.

The NBA just doesn't care about liberty and freedom. They're going to severely regret this when they end up making less money than they did last season.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; Today at 11:34 AM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

'I Stand With Kaepernick': LeBron Defends Former NFL Star for Raising Issues 'Nobody Wanted to Listen to'

LeBron James used the All-Star Weekend to renew his support for Colin Kaepernick, praising the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback for defending his beliefs.
    https://www.newsweek.com/lebron-jame...fl-nfl-1334633

Just wait. Now people will start bringing "I stand with Hong Kong" signs to all the games Lebron plays in.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.