Thread: Trump To Honor Former Reagan Attorney General, Who Left Government Under Ethics Cloud

Trump To Honor Former Reagan Attorney General, Who Left Government Under Ethics Cloud

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/08/76813...under-ethics-c

President Trump will present the Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor Tuesday, to a former top aide to President Ronald Reagan who has been a stalwart of the conservative movement for the past half-century.

Edwin Meese III, always known as Ed, is a native Californian and a living reminder of the time when the Republican Party counted on the Golden State as the cornerstone of its Electoral College majorities.

In the 30 years since he resigned under fire as Reagan's second attorney general, Meese has been associated with many of the leading conservative think tanks and foundations – including the Heritage Foundation and the Hoover Institution. But at 87, his place in history still depends on his personal relationship with the former Hollywood actor who became the nation's 40th president.

Meese was part of Reagan's conservative surge in the Republican Party of the mid-1960s "movement conservatives" who strove to rebuild the party after its disastrous defeat in the presidential election of 1964. Reagan's election as governor of California in 1966 signaled the party's comeback and pointed the way toward its rightward shift.

Meese was Gov. Reagan's legal secretary, then his executive assistant and finally chief of staff. He was a close confidante at some of Reagan's stormiest moments, as when his crackdown turned deadly during the People's Park protests in Berkeley, Calif., in 1969.

In the mid-1970s, Meese returned to private practice and taught law school until Reagan's 1980 campaign for president stumbled in the early going. Meese came aboard to run the daily campaign functions, and Reagan was soon the party front-runner again.

When Reagan became president, Meese ran the transition team and then became part of a triumvirate running the White House. His title was Counselor to the President, with full Cabinet rank and membership on the National Security Council. He also served as a frequent ambassador to evangelicals and other conservatives on social issues.

Meese was on hand for the successes of Reagan's first term, then prepared to leave the White House in 1984 to be attorney general. But it took a year, and Reagan's landslide re-election, before the Senate finally confirmed his appointment. Meese was accused of unethical conduct in office at the time, and a report by the onetime Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox cited him for "blindness to the abuse of position."

Further allegations followed. He was investigated for his role in helping the Bechtel Corp. build a pipeline from Iraq to Jordan. His actions on behalf of the Wedtech Corp. were also the subject of an independent counsel's probe.
    Although never indicted for anything, Meese resigned as attorney general when the independent counsel's critical report was filed in 1988.

He also was in the middle of the Iran-Contra affair, a scandal involving weapons sales to Iran and then the money from those sales was used to fund anti-communist Contra rebels in Nicaragua.

As Brown University noted, "Meese was investigated for his involvement in the cover-up of the scandals, namely for allegedly focusing more on limiting the damage to President Reagan than on his ostensible purpose of trying to investigate what had transpired."

After leaving government service, Meese became an enduring symbol of the Reagan era and its aura, holding the Reagan Chair in Public Policy at the Heritage Foundation and serving as an officer of the Landmark Legal Foundation.

Meese's elevation to this degree of national honor may raise some eyebrows, given the manner in which he left the government 30 years ago. Others may speculate that Trump is honoring Meese to please those in the conservative community who have doubted Trump's ideological bona fides. Meese has never given anyone cause to doubt his ideological bona fides.
    More at link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I see zippy agrees with Brenann:

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
    "people are innocent, you know, until alleged to be involved in some kind of criminal activity."
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Temporary Ban

Blog Entries
    NPR = government run fake news

I see zippy agrees with Brenann:
    Meese likes "guilty until proven innocent". Innocent people don't get arrested.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...502-story.html

Most Americans know the notion of ''innocent until proven guilty'' is fundamental to our judicial system. They don`t always like it, but they take it as given. Not Edwin Meese, the two-legged catastrophe entrusted with the responsibility of enforcing the nation`s laws.

Said Meese, when asked by U.S. News and World Report if criminal suspects should have the right to a lawyer during police questioning, as the Supreme Court ruled in 1966: ''Suspects who are innocent of a crime should. But the thing is, you don`t have many suspects who are innocent of a crime. That`s contradictory. If a person is innocent of a crime, then he is not a suspect.'' The attorney general has never concealed his infatuation with men in blue; nor has he denied that, given his choice, he`d carry a nightstick and use a siren driving to work. But even veteran police groupies don`t normally treat every patrolman as infallible. Meese thinks anyone who winds up in a precinct house is guilty unless proven innocent--or guilty, period.

He has other blinding insights into the landmark Miranda ruling. ''We managed very well in this country for 175 years without it,'' he declared.

''Miranda only helps guilty defendants,'' because ''most innocent people are glad to talk to the police.'' Under it, ''If the police obtain a statement . . . in the course of an initial interrogation, the statement may be thrown out at the trial.''
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Meese likes "guilty until proven innocent". Innocent people don't get arrested.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...502-story.html
    And you agree with him.
    It may serve him right to be treated with the standard he believes in but it doesn't give you any credit.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And you agree with him.
    It may serve him right to be treated with the standard he believes in but it doesn't give you any credit.
    Fake news. I don't agree with Meese.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Fake news. I don't agree with Meese.
    You do, you bolded the parts of the OP article that related to unproven accusations as if they were proven crimes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment