Thread: Trump administration rejects new protections for iconic Alaska tree

Trump administration rejects new protections for iconic Alaska tree

An iconic Alaska tree that is dying off from rising forest temperatures and diminished winter snowpack was deemed ineligible by U.S. wildlife officials on Friday for special protection under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.The Trump administration, though acknowledging that climate change is a factor in the decline of the yellow-cedar, rejected a petition to list the tree as a threatened species under the landmark environmental law.
    The trees, which can grow to be more than 1,000 years old, are mostly found in the coastal temperate rain forests of southeastern Alaska and British Columbia, though some stands occur as far south as northern California.

But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which has jurisdiction over Endangered Species Act protections for plants as well as animals, determined that the die-off is not widespread enough to justify a threatened listing.
    The yellow-cedar decline likely peaked in the 1970s and 1980s, and the current status of the die-off affects only 6% of the species' range, the Fish and Wildlife Service said in a statement. “Therefore, it is not having population level effects on the species,” the service said.

Denial of the yellow-cedar listing proposal comes as the Trump administration is seeking to expand logging in southeast Alaska’s Tongass National Forest and to revise Endangered Species Act rules in a way that environmentalists say will weaken protections under the law.
    The yellow-cedars could benefit instead from selective logging that thins the forest, planting of seedlings and development of a new browse-resistant strain “that would make seedlings less palatable to deer,” the Fish and Wildlife Service said in a statement.
    The yellow-cedar was one of a dozen imperiled plants and animals for whom Endangered Species Act petitions were denied on Friday, including the Berry Cave salamander in eastern Tennessee, the Panamint alligator lizard in California and the Southern hognose snake in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.
    The Trump administration has now declined protection for 74 species and granted safeguards to 18, the fewest of any president at this point in an administration, according to the Center for Biological Diversity.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-adminis...041822983.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it's funny that the cedar trees of the new world aren't really cedars. I think we just started calling any gymnosperm that wasn't a pine tree a cedar.

I love cedar trees though....even though they're not cedars.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Sounds like they need to hunt more deer .
    Do something Danke

Wait so Trump did or didn't fire a missile at said tree?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

A little confused... NSA spying continues unabridged but tree talk makes it..... what?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

The Trump administration has now declined protection for 74 species and granted safeguards to 18, the fewest of any president at this point in an administration, according to the Center for Biological Diversity.
    I wonder how many 'ol Abe Lincoln granted. I bet George Washington granted a bunch of them.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    A little confused... NSA spying continues unabridged but tree talk makes it..... what?
    There's nothing that can be done about that, are you going to spend all your time complaining about things we can't do anything about and ignore all the good things?

Must be another case of TDS.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Wait so Trump did or didn't fire a missile at said tree?
    Firing a missile at a tree would be overkill to the max.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.