Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump 'Civil War' Quote Tweet Is Actually Grounds for Impeachment, Says Harvard Law Professor

Trump 'Civil War' Quote Tweet Is Actually Grounds for Impeachment, Says Harvard Law Professor

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-civil...chment-1462044

9/30/19

President Donald Trump's recent tweet quoting a longtime evangelical pastor who warned of a "Civil War" if Democrats seriously pursue removing him from office could actually be grounds for impeachment, one Harvard Law professor said.

"If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal," Trump tweeted on Sunday night.

The tweet was a quote from Robert Jeffress, a Southern Baptist pastor who gave the comment during an appearance on Fox & Friends Weekend. Trump added his own parenthetical aside to Jeffress' quote, in which the president asserted that Congress won't be successful in their impeachment efforts.

The president's tweet was immediately met with backlash, and Harvard Law professor John Coates argued that the social media post itself is an "independent basis" for lawmakers to remove him from the White House.

"This tweet is itself an independent basis for impeachment - a sitting president threatening civil war if Congress exercises its constitutionally authorized power," Coates wrote on Twitter on Monday.

The House of Representatives officially launched an impeachment inquiry last week amid reports that Trump tried to pressure Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

The communication between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was first revealed in a whistleblower complaint to the inspector general of the intelligence community. The complaint detailed concerns that Trump was "using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election."

The whistleblower also implicated Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr in the Ukraine debacle. Giuliani was described as a "central figure" in the situation.

Since House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the inquiry, it's been reported by several news outlets that at least 218 lawmakers in the House (the exact number of votes needed to impeach Trump in the chamber) support moving forward with impeachment. At least 217 Democrats and independent Representative Justin Amash have favored the inquiry.

Democrats say they intend to move quickly on impeachment, but so far have only opened an inquiry into the matter. The House will decide after the investigation whether to actually impeach the president. If the chamber votes for impeachment, the Republican-controlled Senate would then decide whether to remove Trump from office or exonerate him.

Historian Kevin Kruse slammed Trump for suggesting in his "Civil War" tweet that only Democrats are responsible for impeachment. Kruse, a Princeton University professor, noted that in order to successfully remove the president there needs to be a significant amount of Republicans backing impeachment.

"Trump can only be removed through impeachment if two-thirds of the Senate votes to remove him. To do that, 20 Republicans would need to join the 45 Democrats and 2 Independents," Kruse wrote. "Removal would be bipartisan. Framing it as some kind of civil war isn't just dangerous. It's dumb."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Someone contact Amash.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Let slip the dogs of war!

Meh

What does Trump say that doesn't cause national outrage these days?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Meh

Fact.

Like I care about the legal advice coming from a Harvard Law professor.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Who cares what a Communist professor thinks?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Meh

It's almost like it's intentional.

Naaa, that couldn't be it.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The war on the mind is not very civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    The war on the mind is not very civil.
    Commies pretend to be objective and argue brainwashing is beneficial for everybody.

Trump better not ever sneeze, the deep state might say it is grounds for impeachment.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Deranged. Do these jokers think that anyone takes them seriously? Probably not. It’s just part of the plan. The media is part of it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Like I care about the legal advice coming from a Harvard Law professor.
    For real. To read the Constitution all you have to do is read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights and you will have full understanding of what everything means. You will even see that the Bill of Rights prevents the judicial branch from abusing power. The legal profession deliberately ignores the Bill of Rights Preamble so they can justify making the law as confusing as possible so they can sell litigation services.

So the civil war was a good thing or a bad thing according to liberals? TDS victims can't keep anything straight.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It's almost like it's intentional.

Naaa, that couldn't be it.
    We wouldn't want to upset the applecart of the status quo.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We wouldn't want to upset the applecart of the status quo.
    Indeed, it's better to revisit the Civil War, isn't it? That must be an improvement. It was such a fine period in American history and famous historians all agree that it led to more liberty, not less.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Indeed, it's better to revisit the Civil War, isn't it? That must be an improvement. It was such a fine period in American history and famous historians all agree that it led to more liberty, not less.
    A separation would be preferable but a civil war is better than cooking the frog slowly, the good guys might win this time.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A separation would be preferable but a civil war is better than cooking the frog slowly, the good guys might win this time.
    Quick history lesson:
    The bankers instigate wars in order to make large scale changes to legal frameworks that (they think) otherwise wouldn't be possible. Does it start to make more sense why Donnie's cabinet is full of the same banker/CFR types that were involved in fomenting the Civil War and now Donnie appears to be egging one on? Oh but wait, he's against the deep state. I keep forgetting!

Quick history lesson:
    The bankers instigate wars in order to make large scale changes to legal frameworks that (they think) otherwise wouldn't be possible. Does it start to make more sense why Donnie's cabinet is full of the same banker/CFR types that were involved in fomenting the Civil War and now Donnie appears to be egging one on? Oh but wait, he's against the deep state. I keep forgetting!
    Not all wars are bankers' wars and the enemy's plans may be turned against them.
    The slow cooking of the frog is the surest death.
    And Trump is not the one doing things to cause a civil war either, he is just shaking up the status quo, it is the Demoncrats who are trying to start a civil war.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's past time to revisit it. The question is...do Americans, and enough of them, have the fight of their forefathers in them? I believe they just might if the heat is turned up quick enough. Personally, I'd prefer it to this slow boil of identity loss through mass-immigration and a tyrannical government body a multitude times worse than that of King George or Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's past time to revisit it. The question is...do Americans, and enough of them, have the fight of their forefathers in them? I believe they just might if the heat is turned up quick enough. Personally, I'd prefer it to this slow boil of identity loss through mass-immigration and a tyrannical government body a multitude times worse than that of King George or Lincoln.
    What's the point of having brain if it doesn't change what happens to you?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What's the point of having brain if it doesn't change what happens to you?
    Maybe the point is to use it to keep others from changing what happens to them?

devil is an agent of the status quo.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe the point is to use it to keep others from changing what happens to them?

devil is an agent of the status quo.
    Sure, go shoot up your similarly brainwashed neighbors, just like the first Civil War and see how much that changes the outcome of who's pulling the strings, since that worked so well with the first Civil War. Surely more liberty will ensue this time right? It's not like the first Civil War resulted in the suspension of the 1789 Constitution, resulted in the literal destruction of half of the country, the institution of policies that eroded the Constitutional rule-of-law and outright erased the original 13th Amendment, the "freed" slaves had their own inheritances literally stolen from them, land and ownership records burned, etc. You see, unlike most of the bs history taught about the Civil War, I was told directly what really happened by elder family from GA. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And the same playbook is being ran again on the dumbs that think the solution to their problems is to shoot up their neighbors, instead of the people that are goading them into going and doing it. Like Trump. Someone who will never pick up a rifle and never appear next to you but will happily sit inside his fenced fortress nestled inside a sovereign city that isn't even a part of the country, behind his armed guards, sending Tweets urging you to go do it. Civil War via twitter.....ridiculous.

At least you're somewhat better focused on where the problem lies. SS essentially advocates for shooting up your neighbors for liberty. Any way, always be wary of any one that stands off to the side saying "Did you hear what he said about yo momma? I think you and that guy over there should fight!" That is SS and he's not saying it for your benefit.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-01-2019 at 06:07 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure, go shoot up your similarly brainwashed neighbors, just like the first Civil War and see how much that changes the outcome of who's pulling the strings, since that worked so well with the first Civil War. Surely more liberty will ensue this time right? It's not like the first Civil War resulted in the suspension of the 1789 Constitution, resulted in the literal destruction of half of the country, the institution of policies that eroded the Constitutional rule-of-law and outright erased the original 13th Amendment, the "freed" slaves had their own inheritances literally stolen from them. You see, unlike most of the bs history taught about the Civil War, I was told directly what really happened by elder family from GA. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And the same playbook is being ran again on the dumbs that think the solution to their problems is to shoot up their neighbors, instead of the people that are goading them into going and doing it. Like Trump. Someone who will never pick up a rifle and never appear next to you but will happily sit inside his fenced fortress nestled inside a sovereign city that isn't even a part of the country, behind his armed guards, sending Tweets urging you to go do it. Civil War via twitter.....ridiculous.
    "There is nothing you can do, the bad guys always win, just relax and enjoy it".

There are plenty of examples in history of the people regaining some liberty by being willing to fight for it and the people who support the current tyranny are just as much the problem as the tyrants.

Take your impotence propaganda elsewhere.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"There is nothing you can do, the bad guys always win, just relax and enjoy it".

There are plenty of examples in history of the people regaining some liberty by being willing to fight for it and the people who support the current tyranny are just as much the problem as the tyrants.

Take your impotence propaganda elsewhere.

So then you do admit that you advocate shooting up your neighbors. Good to have that on record. Perhaps I should refer that to DHS. See something, say something, ya know.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-01-2019 at 06:29 PM.

So then you do admit that you advocate shooting up your neighbors. Good to have that on record. Perhaps I should refer that to DHS. See something, say something, ya know.
    Just keep exposing yourself as an ally of tyranny, you make this so easy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sure, go shoot up your similarly brainwashed neighbors, just like the first Civil War and see how much that changes the outcome of who's pulling the strings, since that worked so well with the first Civil War. Surely more liberty will ensue this time right? It's not like the first Civil War resulted in the suspension of the 1789 Constitution, resulted in the literal destruction of half of the country, the institution of policies that eroded the Constitutional rule-of-law and outright erased the original 13th Amendment, the "freed" slaves had their own inheritances literally stolen from them, land and ownership records burned, etc. You see, unlike most of the bs history taught about the Civil War, I was told directly what really happened by elder family from GA. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And the same playbook is being ran again on the dumbs that think the solution to their problems is to shoot up their neighbors, instead of the people that are goading them into going and doing it. Like Trump. Someone who will never pick up a rifle and never appear next to you but will happily sit inside his fenced fortress nestled inside a sovereign city that isn't even a part of the country, behind his armed guards, sending Tweets urging you to go do it. Civil War via twitter.....ridiculous.

At least you're somewhat better focused on where the problem lies. SS essentially advocates for shooting up your neighbors for liberty. Any way, always be wary of any one that stands off to the side saying "Did you hear what he said about yo momma? I think you and that guy over there should fight!" That is SS and he's not saying it for your benefit.
    I'm not worried about my neighbors. Most are of my mindset. The progressive Art teacher at the local university five doors down doesn't own guns, downright scared of them, he is. He's not the threat. Progressives tend to let the government do their "wet work."
    Would "neighbors" be harmed in a Civil War? Absolutely. Because to fight and win against the Federal Leviathan would mean cutting the arteries of major cities. Food transport, water, electricity, telecommunications. The infrastructure that keeps them running. All this tying the Federal Government up in "humanitarian" efforts to rescue, move, resettle.
    While the Federal Government was tied up with that then the removal of county and state government officials sympathetic to the Federal Cause would have to begin. New governments instituted and Declarations of Independence written.
    It wouldn't be pretty. But, I don't know of a war, ever, that wasn't.
    Or, we can just keep doing what we are doing. It's worked out swell so far. Amirite?

I'm not off to the side of anything and it is half of our neighbors who have empowered tyranny.

You are empowering tyranny by trying to tell people not to resist.

You know who is worse than the guy who says "let's you and him fight" (which I am not)? The guy who tells the victim not to fight back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm not worried about my neighbors. Most are of my mindset. The progressive Art teacher at the local university five doors down doesn't own guns, downright scared of them, he is. He's not the threat. Progressives tend to let the government do their "wet work."
    Would "neighbors" be harmed in a Civil War? Absolutely. Because to fight and win against the Federal Leviathan would mean cutting the arteries of major cities. Food transport, water, electricity, telecommunications. The infrastructure that keeps them running. All this tying the Federal Government up in "humanitarian" efforts to rescue, move, resettle.
    While the Federal Government was tied up with that then the removal of county and state government officials sympathetic to the Federal Cause would have to begin. New governments instituted and Declarations of Independence written.
    It wouldn't be pretty. But, I don't know of a war, ever, that wasn't.
    Or, we can just keep doing what we are doing. It's worked out swell so far. Amirite?
    He is the voice telling the frog to stay in the pot and when he isn't doing that he is trying to trick it into jumping into the fire with his shadow reality conspiracy theories that will make sure you are deathly poor or in jail and have no power to resist economically, politically or militarily.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast