Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 115 of 115

Thread: Homelessness - The Libertarian Position?

  1. #91



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It does to me.
    Ok

    I see you ignored my point about financing roads with user-fees.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  4. #93
    Until we find a way to let poor people own property, we are going to have homeless. Regulations, taxes, whatever, need to go away.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

  5. #94

  6. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I see you ignored my point about financing roads with user-fees.
    What you are ignoring is that in a pay-as-you-go kind of financing you suggest, our elected representatives are always going to add in some sort of loophole to buy themselves votes. That’s why so many tax breaks only benefit the rich. Politicians are always going to try to make laws that benefit the rich. The poor will be exempted from paying or disenfranchised from using roads at all, further limiting their access to jobs, food, and shelter, and the working middle class will pay the bulk of the expense
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

  7. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That already pays for a large chunk of road work.
    If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

    They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken



  8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  9. #97
    Calling @Anti Federalist, come in @Anti Federalist

    Any chance you're going to answer my questions?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  10. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

    They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?
    If they were.

    But they are not.

    Regardless, I am opposed to immigration invasion because I do not wish to live in New Guatemala or New Kinshasa.

  11. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If they were.

    But they are not.

    Regardless, I am opposed to immigration invasion because I do not wish to live in New Guatemala or New Kinshasa.
    Exactly, you oppose immigration regardless of how roads are financed; that was just an excuse to do what you wanted to do anyway.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  12. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Exactly, you oppose immigration regardless of how roads are financed; that was just an excuse to do what you wanted to do anyway.
    Right. I am honest about it.

    And roads are not financed the way you described.

    And I am not prepared to build roads on my dime for the billions of the world's wretched refuse.

  13. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Right. I am honest about it.
    I see that.

    And roads are not financed the way you described.
    I'm aware.

    My point is that they could be, which would eliminate that argument against immigration.

    ....but to no avail, in this case, since you don't want immigration anyway, for other reasons.

    And I am not prepared to build roads on my dime for the billions of the world's wretched refuse.
    Sad...
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  14. #102
    In any event, while I have the bat-signal handy: @Origanalist, calling @Origanalist

    Any thoughts on you traveling NYC to Seattle versus Pedro traveling Mexico City to NYC (post #81)?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  15. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    In any event, while I have the bat-signal handy: @Origanalist, calling @Origanalist

    Any thoughts on you traveling NYC to Seattle versus Pedro traveling Mexico City to NYC (post #81)?
    I wouldn't go to New York for ten thousand dollars. But I guess that's beside the point.

    Ok, Mexico City is in Mexico, New York is in the US. I don't want a Global Government that dictates that we all live under the same boot. I like nations. I like real diversity. If Pedro wants to visit NYC let him get a visa just like everyone else does and then he can go home after his wonderful experience.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I get most of my news from Swordsmyth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

    You should remember that.

  16. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I wouldn't go to New York for ten thousand dollars. But I guess that's beside the point.

    Ok, Mexico City is in Mexico, New York is in the US. I don't want a Global Government that dictates that we all live under the same boot. I like nations. I like real diversity. If Pedro wants to visit NYC let him get a visa just like everyone else does and then he can go home after his wonderful experience.
    The question was whether Pedro would have to trespass on his trip, any more than you would on yours.

    Would you agree that Pedro could take his trip without trespassing, just as you could yours?
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken



  17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  18. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The question was whether Pedro would have to trespass on his trip, any more than you would on yours.

    Would you agree that Pedro could take his trip without trespassing, just as you could yours?
    Yes.
    "The Patriarch"

    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I get most of my news from Swordsmyth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That is a lie.
    @Brian4Liberty, devil keeps spreading this lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I will report violations of the forum rules to the forum staff when they are egregious enough.

    You should remember that.

  19. #106
    Well I don't know about all this mess with Pedro going to NY but,

    My sister is homeless I have tried to help her many times but she is mentally ill and I don't have the strength to handle her and her disabled son so I just can't take her in right now. I took in her son and I have faced many challenges in caring for him most of which are finical.

    I am so tired of waking up with tears in my eyes thinking of what she must be going thru. I think she did bring what is happening with her on her self and I do think if she could ever stop blaming everyone else for her situation she might get better. I have had her put on suicide watch several times and I have had her in several evaluation stays to try and get her long term care so she can be forced to learn how to take responsibility for her self. She has gotten herself kicked out of several shelters.

    After all this I am just praying for her. I hope she can figure it out cause it's going to be cold out soon. I think I have been both libertarian and christian in my dealings with my sister. I hope she can find herself if that is God's plan for her. I ask that you would say a prayer for her too if you are so inclined.

  20. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

    They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?
    That is a SCAM I have seen before..

    Mackinac Bridge as example..

    Roads should be build and maintained by voluntary means... ..By the people that need and use them.

    States usurped ownership years ago with the advent of the Automobile..

    That $#@! was called Highway Robbery before it became "regulation".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  21. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yes.
    You now appreciate the difference between a homeless person $#@!ting on my front lawn, and Pedro taking a bus to Seattle.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  22. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The nation used to have a whole "hobo" culture, where thousands of people could survive on transient work and flophouses.

    Taxes, regulations, zoning, rent controls, monetary devaluation, mushy headed "do-gooders" and third world immigration, just to name a few things, have killed it off.

    It needs to come back.

    There is something kind of like this called Camper Force.

  23. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Well I don't know about all this mess with Pedro going to NY but,

    My sister is homeless I have tried to help her many times but she is mentally ill and I don't have the strength to handle her and her disabled son so I just can't take her in right now. I took in her son and I have faced many challenges in caring for him most of which are finical.

    I am so tired of waking up with tears in my eyes thinking of what she must be going thru. I think she did bring what is happening with her on her self and I do think if she could ever stop blaming everyone else for her situation she might get better. I have had her put on suicide watch several times and I have had her in several evaluation stays to try and get her long term care so she can be forced to learn how to take responsibility for her self. She has gotten herself kicked out of several shelters.

    After all this I am just praying for her. I hope she can figure it out cause it's going to be cold out soon. I think I have been both libertarian and christian in my dealings with my sister. I hope she can find herself if that is God's plan for her. I ask that you would say a prayer for her too if you are so inclined.
    Inclined. It will work itself out. It always does. Our perspectives can change reality.
    I do not consent.

  24. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

    They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?
    If the Roads were removed from the picture.?. Ownership was Usurped.. Period..
    Government has only Authority to MAINTAIN Post Roads..

    not build them nor tax them.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  25. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    You now appreciate the difference between a homeless person $#@!ting on my front lawn, and Pedro taking a bus to Seattle.
    I would only crap on your lawn is you were a particular type of A$$hole.

    I have pissed on buildings that refused to allow a more proper location.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom



  26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  27. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That is a SCAM I have seen before..

    Mackinac Bridge as example..

    Roads should be build and maintained by voluntary means... ..By the people that need and use them.

    States usurped ownership years ago with the advent of the Automobile..

    That $#@! was called Highway Robbery before it became "regulation".
    ^^^THIS^^^
    There is no spoon.

  28. #114
    Roads should be built by the homeless, potholes should be fixed by lgbt, sewage treatment plants should
    be staffed by liberals.

  29. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The question was whether Pedro would have to trespass on his trip, any more than you would on yours.

    Would you agree that Pedro could take his trip without trespassing, just as you could yours?
    This Pedro has done so a couple times. Also pushed a shopping cart in the Santa Monica/Venice Beach area around 87.

    Worked at a Produce House in Portland,, and kidnapped my wife..

    Gave her two homes,,, and I am homeless again.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads

  1. What is the libertarian position on Muslim refugees?
    By Ron Paul in 2008 in forum Political Philosophy & Government Policy
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM
  2. The Libertarian Solution To End Homelessness
    By Alex Libman in forum Political Philosophy & Government Policy
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM
  3. Libertarian position on Climate Change
    By mz10 in forum Individual Rights Violations: Case Studies
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM
  4. Libertarian position on gay marriage
    By z9000 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
  5. Libertarian position on healthcare
    By pa33 in forum Health Freedom
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •