Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Homelessness - The Libertarian Position?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    It doesn't matter whether it's poor Americans paying low/no taxes or recent immigrants not yet on the tax rolls.
    It does to me.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It does to me.
    Ok

I see you ignored my point about financing roads with user-fees.

Until we find a way to let poor people own property, we are going to have homeless. Regulations, taxes, whatever, need to go away.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Ok

That already pays for a large chunk of road work.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

What you are ignoring is that in a pay-as-you-go kind of financing you suggest, our elected representatives are always going to add in some sort of loophole to buy themselves votes. That’s why so many tax breaks only benefit the rich. Politicians are always going to try to make laws that benefit the rich. The poor will be exempted from paying or disenfranchised from using roads at all, further limiting their access to jobs, food, and shelter, and the working middle class will pay the bulk of the expense
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

That already pays for a large chunk of road work.
    If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Calling @Anti Federalist, come in @Anti Federalist

Any chance you're going to answer my questions?

If the roads were financed entirely by user-fees, you wouldn't be subsidizing immigrants, would you?

They'd be paying (via tolls, gas tax, vehicle tax, etc) the same as anyone else, wouldn't they?
    If they were.

But they are not.

Regardless, I am opposed to immigration invasion because I do not wish to live in New Guatemala or New Kinshasa.

If they were.

But they are not.

Regardless, I am opposed to immigration invasion because I do not wish to live in New Guatemala or New Kinshasa.
    Exactly, you oppose immigration regardless of how roads are financed; that was just an excuse to do what you wanted to do anyway.

Exactly, you oppose immigration regardless of how roads are financed; that was just an excuse to do what you wanted to do anyway.
    Right. I am honest about it.

And roads are not financed the way you described.

And I am not prepared to build roads on my dime for the billions of the world's wretched refuse.

Right. I am honest about it.
    I see that.

And roads are not financed the way you described.
    I'm aware.

My point is that they could be, which would eliminate that argument against immigration.

....but to no avail, in this case, since you don't want immigration anyway, for other reasons.

And I am not prepared to build roads on my dime for the billions of the world's wretched refuse.
    Sad...

In any event, while I have the bat-signal handy: @Origanalist, calling @Origanalist

Any thoughts on you traveling NYC to Seattle versus Pedro traveling Mexico City to NYC (post #81)?

In any event, while I have the bat-signal handy: @Origanalist, calling @Origanalist

Any thoughts on you traveling NYC to Seattle versus Pedro traveling Mexico City to NYC (post #81)?
    I wouldn't go to New York for ten thousand dollars. But I guess that's beside the point.

Ok, Mexico City is in Mexico, New York is in the US. I don't want a Global Government that dictates that we all live under the same boot. I like nations. I like real diversity. If Pedro wants to visit NYC let him get a visa just like everyone else does and then he can go home after his wonderful experience.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I wouldn't go to New York for ten thousand dollars. But I guess that's beside the point.

Ok, Mexico City is in Mexico, New York is in the US. I don't want a Global Government that dictates that we all live under the same boot. I like nations. I like real diversity. If Pedro wants to visit NYC let him get a visa just like everyone else does and then he can go home after his wonderful experience.
    The question was whether Pedro would have to trespass on his trip, any more than you would on yours.

Would you agree that Pedro could take his trip without trespassing, just as you could yours?

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The question was whether Pedro would have to trespass on his trip, any more than you would on yours.

Would you agree that Pedro could take his trip without trespassing, just as you could yours?
    Yes.
    "The Patriarch"

Well I don't know about all this mess with Pedro going to NY but,

My sister is homeless I have tried to help her many times but she is mentally ill and I don't have the strength to handle her and her disabled son so I just can't take her in right now. I took in her son and I have faced many challenges in caring for him most of which are finical.

I am so tired of waking up with tears in my eyes thinking of what she must be going thru. I think she did bring what is happening with her on her self and I do think if she could ever stop blaming everyone else for her situation she might get better. I have had her put on suicide watch several times and I have had her in several evaluation stays to try and get her long term care so she can be forced to learn how to take responsibility for her self. She has gotten herself kicked out of several shelters.

After all this I am just praying for her. I hope she can figure it out cause it's going to be cold out soon. I think I have been both libertarian and christian in my dealings with my sister. I hope she can find herself if that is God's plan for her. I ask that you would say a prayer for her too if you are so inclined.

That is a SCAM I have seen before..

Mackinac Bridge as example..

Roads should be build and maintained by voluntary means... ..By the people that need and use them.

States usurped ownership years ago with the advent of the Automobile..

That $#@! was called Highway Robbery before it became "regulation".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yes.
    You now appreciate the difference between a homeless person $#@!ting on my front lawn, and Pedro taking a bus to Seattle.

The nation used to have a whole "hobo" culture, where thousands of people could survive on transient work and flophouses.

Taxes, regulations, zoning, rent controls, monetary devaluation, mushy headed "do-gooders" and third world immigration, just to name a few things, have killed it off.

It needs to come back.

There is something kind of like this called Camper Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Well I don't know about all this mess with Pedro going to NY but,

My sister is homeless I have tried to help her many times but she is mentally ill and I don't have the strength to handle her and her disabled son so I just can't take her in right now. I took in her son and I have faced many challenges in caring for him most of which are finical.

I am so tired of waking up with tears in my eyes thinking of what she must be going thru. I think she did bring what is happening with her on her self and I do think if she could ever stop blaming everyone else for her situation she might get better. I have had her put on suicide watch several times and I have had her in several evaluation stays to try and get her long term care so she can be forced to learn how to take responsibility for her self. She has gotten herself kicked out of several shelters.

After all this I am just praying for her. I hope she can figure it out cause it's going to be cold out soon. I think I have been both libertarian and christian in my dealings with my sister. I hope she can find herself if that is God's plan for her. I ask that you would say a prayer for her too if you are so inclined.
    Inclined. It will work itself out. It always does. Our perspectives can change reality.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

If the Roads were removed from the picture.?. Ownership was Usurped.. Period..
    Government has only Authority to MAINTAIN Post Roads..

not build them nor tax them.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You now appreciate the difference between a homeless person $#@!ting on my front lawn, and Pedro taking a bus to Seattle.
    I would only crap on your lawn is you were a particular type of A$$hole.

I have pissed on buildings that refused to allow a more proper location.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That is a SCAM I have seen before..

Mackinac Bridge as example..

Roads should be build and maintained by voluntary means... ..By the people that need and use them.

States usurped ownership years ago with the advent of the Automobile..

That $#@! was called Highway Robbery before it became "regulation".
    ^^^THIS^^^
    There is no spoon.

Roads should be built by the homeless, potholes should be fixed by lgbt, sewage treatment plants should
    be staffed by liberals.

This Pedro has done so a couple times. Also pushed a shopping cart in the Santa Monica/Venice Beach area around 87.

Worked at a Produce House in Portland,, and kidnapped my wife..

Gave her two homes,,, and I am homeless again.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234