Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: House launches Trump impeachment inquiry , Only 4th time in history

Edward Snowden Condemns Trump’s Mistreatment of Whistleblower Who Exposed Ukraine Scandal

The House Intelligence Committee has released the declassified whistleblower complaint, which details a July phone call between President Trump and the Ukrainian president. The White House is trying “to make the conversation not about the allegations,” Snowden told Democracy Now! “They want to talk about the whistleblower rather than the government’s own wrongdoing.”

"This case that we see before us today is, I think, actually quite clear-cut. It’s one of the simplest cases and simplest controversies we’ve seen in a while, because we’re talking about what appears to be, at least as alleged in the press so far, is a single exchange, a single complaint, about a particularized thing, and it doesn’t threaten the institutions of power broadly. This is about the activities of an individual.

And what we see in the system that’s been built today for whistleblowing is you’re told there are proper channels that you go through, and you’ll be safe if you do this. You will be heard, and your complaints will be investigated, and any improprieties that are borne out by the facts will be corrected.
    We know historically this is not the case. There have been academic articles published for years — and there was actually one just published today — looking back through previous cases of, for example, NSA whistleblowers who did go through this process, and they had their lives destroyed. They lost their careers, they lost their homes, in some cases they lost their families, because of the stress and retaliation and consequences they face. Some of them lost their freedom. Chelsea Manning right now is sitting in prison. We have had so much mistreatment of whistleblowers here.
    And the question that we have to ask is: Why? Don’t we need, as a public, to understand what the government is doing? And does not the press require access to sources and evidence of what the government is actually doing behind closed doors, which it might not think is comfortable for the public to know, but certainly it serves the public interest for the people to know?
    And so, in this context — right? — we now have someone who’s coming forward. And the reason I say this is so clean-cut is, more than any other factor, what academics find when they look at what’s wrong with the whistleblowing process in the United States today is your outcome is entirely determined by the centers of power and how they respond to it."

"And this is the reason I think, although this whistleblower is absolutely being mistreated by this White House, and this White House is doing absolutely everything it can to stop this person from communicating what the public needs to know to the public in a meaningful way, so that we can evaluate it — I do not think they will succeed, because in this case the White House is in isolation and, in a meaningful way, in opposition to the Congress that feels their prerogatives are being stepped on by this. And that’s quite unusual in the context of whistleblowing. Typically, we see all three branches of government aligned against the whistleblower. In this case, because the at least alleged bad behavior is so bright-line clear, and because the White House is trying to deny Congress access to the complaint, more so than the public itself, I think there are enough people who will go to bat for whoever this person is, that they will end up all right. And that’s actually a wonderful thing. It’s not enough, and whistleblowers are today and will remain, unfortunately, a vulnerable class, until we fix the broader system.
    But the most alarming part of what we see in the treatment of this person today by the White House is what every White House does. They try to make the conversation not about the allegations. They try to make the conversation about the source of the allegations. They want to talk about the whistleblower rather than the government’s own wrongdoing. And we need to have access to the facts, and we need to hear this person out, because it doesn’t matter the provenance of an allegation. What matters is the proof of it. Is what this person is alleging to be true in fact true? And if it is, what are we going to do about it? Who they are does not matter. Whether or not the allegations they are leveling are true matters absolutely."

democracynow.org/2019/9/26/edward_snowden_on_writing_his_memoir

Related

Rand: Snowden a Whistleblower. Not a traitor

Cenk gives Justin Amash some props for calling Snowden a 'whistleblower'

Snowden calls for whistleblower shield after claims by new Pentagon source

Un-Related

Developing: Politically what's the difference between a 'whistleblower' and a 'rat'...

Trump's suggestion on what to do with Snowden: kill him.

'Prepare to die' Stone texted witness, trial jury hears

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    KY GOP Governor Loses in the State Trump Won by 30 Points
    Trump supported KY candidate loses in deep-red state

Trump told Kentucky to make the governor’s race all about him. And they did. And his guy lost.
    Nov 6, 2019

Virginia cyclist who flipped off Trump's motorcade wins race for local office

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Trump told Kentucky to make the governor’s race all about him. And they did. And his guy lost.
    Nov 6, 2019
    There was voter fraud and Trump still brought Bevin even from being way behind.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Edward Snowden Condemns Trump’s Mistreatment of Whistleblower Who Exposed Ukraine Scandal

The House Intelligence Committee has released the declassified whistleblower complaint, which details a July phone call between President Trump and the Ukrainian president. The White House is trying “to make the conversation not about the allegations,” Snowden told Democracy Now! “They want to talk about the whistleblower rather than the government’s own wrongdoing.”

"This case that we see before us today is, I think, actually quite clear-cut. It’s one of the simplest cases and simplest controversies we’ve seen in a while, because we’re talking about what appears to be, at least as alleged in the press so far, is a single exchange, a single complaint, about a particularized thing, and it doesn’t threaten the institutions of power broadly. This is about the activities of an individual.

And what we see in the system that’s been built today for whistleblowing is you’re told there are proper channels that you go through, and you’ll be safe if you do this. You will be heard, and your complaints will be investigated, and any improprieties that are borne out by the facts will be corrected.
    We know historically this is not the case. There have been academic articles published for years — and there was actually one just published today — looking back through previous cases of, for example, NSA whistleblowers who did go through this process, and they had their lives destroyed. They lost their careers, they lost their homes, in some cases they lost their families, because of the stress and retaliation and consequences they face. Some of them lost their freedom. Chelsea Manning right now is sitting in prison. We have had so much mistreatment of whistleblowers here.
    And the question that we have to ask is: Why? Don’t we need, as a public, to understand what the government is doing? And does not the press require access to sources and evidence of what the government is actually doing behind closed doors, which it might not think is comfortable for the public to know, but certainly it serves the public interest for the people to know?
    And so, in this context — right? — we now have someone who’s coming forward. And the reason I say this is so clean-cut is, more than any other factor, what academics find when they look at what’s wrong with the whistleblowing process in the United States today is your outcome is entirely determined by the centers of power and how they respond to it."

"And this is the reason I think, although this whistleblower is absolutely being mistreated by this White House, and this White House is doing absolutely everything it can to stop this person from communicating what the public needs to know to the public in a meaningful way, so that we can evaluate it — I do not think they will succeed, because in this case the White House is in isolation and, in a meaningful way, in opposition to the Congress that feels their prerogatives are being stepped on by this. And that’s quite unusual in the context of whistleblowing. Typically, we see all three branches of government aligned against the whistleblower. In this case, because the at least alleged bad behavior is so bright-line clear, and because the White House is trying to deny Congress access to the complaint, more so than the public itself, I think there are enough people who will go to bat for whoever this person is, that they will end up all right. And that’s actually a wonderful thing. It’s not enough, and whistleblowers are today and will remain, unfortunately, a vulnerable class, until we fix the broader system.
    But the most alarming part of what we see in the treatment of this person today by the White House is what every White House does. They try to make the conversation not about the allegations. They try to make the conversation about the source of the allegations. They want to talk about the whistleblower rather than the government’s own wrongdoing. And we need to have access to the facts, and we need to hear this person out, because it doesn’t matter the provenance of an allegation. What matters is the proof of it. Is what this person is alleging to be true in fact true? And if it is, what are we going to do about it? Who they are does not matter. Whether or not the allegations they are leveling are true matters absolutely."

democracynow.org/2019/9/26/edward_snowden_on_writing_his_memoir

Related

Rand: Snowden a Whistleblower. Not a traitor

Cenk gives Justin Amash some props for calling Snowden a 'whistleblower'

Snowden calls for whistleblower shield after claims by new Pentagon source

Un-Related

Developing: Politically what's the difference between a 'whistleblower' and a 'rat'...

Snowden is an enemy who happened to do us a favor.

Snowden

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There was voter fraud and Trump still brought Bevin even from being way behind.
    Fake news. Beven had a five point lead in the polls as of October 29th. Trump's rally was November 4th. Final difference was one point- so Trump raised him four points.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...hear-6723.html

Beshear had 47% in that poll- and his final tally was 48.8%. Not much of a bump.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    Yes, that is the new tactic from all the trolls.
    They just assert lies over and over no matter how often they are exposed.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Fake news. Beven had a five point lead in the polls as of October 29th. Trump's rally was November 4th. Final difference was one point- so Trump raised him four points.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...hear-6723.html

Beshear had 47% in that poll- and his final tally was 48.8%.
    Trump's rally wasn't the only campaigning he did and even you have to admit he raised him from behind to too close to call.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fox legal analyst Napolitano emerges as Trump critic

By DAVID BAUDER today

FILE - This Nov. 27, 2018 file photo shows Fox News senior judicial analyst Andrew Napolitano hosting the inaugural broadcast of "Liberty File" on the new streaming service Fox Nation, in New York. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

NEW YORK (AP) — More than two decades into his career as a commentator at Fox News Channel, Andrew Napolitano reached a milestone of sorts when he was called a “fool” on his own network.
    Not to his face, of course. But Tucker Carlson guest Joseph diGenova’s dismissal of Napolitano for saying that soliciting campaign aid from a foreign government is against the law illustrates the awkward place that the former New Jersey Superior Court judge finds himself in at Fox during the Trump era.

Napolitano, who joined Fox News in 1998, has emerged as one of Donald Trump’s bluntest critics on a network where the president expects to hear encouragement.

Napolitano has defended an impeachment inquiry that many Trump supporters call unfair, noting it follows rules written by Republicans. He said the White House counsel’s arguments against the process were “profoundly misguided,” and described Trump’s since-withdrawn proposal to host a summit of world leaders at his Miami resort as a constitutional violation “about as direct and profound ... as one could create.” He has questioned how seriously Trump takes his oath of office, and said he governs like a mafia don.
    The commentator’s assertion that Robert Mueller had found 10 instances of obstruction of justice that could have resulted in a criminal indictment if Trump hadn’t been president earned him an angry tweet from the White House.
    “He’s beginning to sound like Judge Shepard Smith,” said Tim Graham, director of media analysis at the conservative Media Research Center.

It was Smith, the since-departed Fox News anchor who occasionally fact-checked claims by Fox opinion hosts, who came to Napolitano’s defense after diGenova’s remark on Sept. 24. Smith called the attack repugnant.
    “It just sort of rolls off my back,” Napolitano said in an interview. “I realize that when you’re in this business — and I’m on the opinion side, not the news side — that it’s going to ruffle some feathers. I never take it personally.”

He suspects his opinions have cost him airtime on Fox, although he says it can be cyclical. While he appears regularly on the “Fox & Friends” morning show, he’s invisible on the prime-time opinion shows hosted by Carlson, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham. Many of his commentaries appear online, taped on the plaza outside of Fox’s Manhattan headquarters.
    Does he think some of his colleagues resent his opinions? “I don’t think so,” Napolitano said. “I think they’re mature enough to respect intellectual honesty.”

His commentaries are a frequent topic on Fox News message boards. “I wonder what changed him or if he was just faking it before?” one viewer wrote. “Either way, I don’t like this version of Nappy.”
    Fox did not make an executive available to talk about Napolitano, but issued a statement saying his legal insights “have become a critical element in our breaking news coverage.”

apnews.com/52b6a16fa159457b907cc90c4846d6a0

Related

This kind of tweets should stop now:

Leaked Recording From ABCNEWS Reveals Network Killed Story Implicating Epstein, reportedly Alan Dershowitz also pressured the network to kill the story

Fox legal analyst Napolitano emerges as Trump critic
    We know about Judge Swamp already.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pentagon official testifies freeze on aid to Ukraine came from Oval Office...

Democrats, GOP to vie for impeachment narrative -- on TV

By MARY CLARE JALONICK and ZEKE MILLER
    2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Impeachable or not?
    Both Democrats and Republicans see the televised impeachment hearings starting this week as their first and best opportunity to shape public opinion about President Donald Trump’s dealings with Ukraine.
    Democrats believe the testimony will paint a vivid picture of presidential misconduct. Republicans say it will demonstrate just how lacking the evidence is for impeachment.
    The stakes are high, and historic. Trump faces the prospect of being just the third American president impeached by the House of Representatives, a dubious distinction for a commander in chief facing reelection. Yet Democrats are privately uncertain about how the public will view the proceedings, particularly if Trump is impeached along party lines.
    In the hearings beginning Wednesday, Democrats plan a narrow focus and a narrative retelling of Trump’s pressure on Ukraine to investigate Democrats as his administration withheld military aid to an Eastern European ally on Russia’s border.
    All three witnesses this week — top Ukraine diplomat William Taylor, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent and former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch — expressed concerns about Trump’s efforts in closed-door depositions last month.

apnews.com/15e3ce69ef7b49219ff3855fb75be96f

READ THE TRANSCRIPT

Nov 6, 2019

Related

Virginia cyclist who flipped off Trump's motorcade wins race for local office

We know about Judge Swamp already.
    Similar stuff used to be said about GOPA wing's top donor globalist neocons swamp... but people seem to have short memory when it comes to swamps.

Bring back #DrainTheSwamp slogan for 2020.

Risks for all sides as Trump impeachment hearings swing open

By LISA MASCARO 26 minutes ago

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump walk on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019, as they return from New York. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The closed doors of the Trump impeachment investigation are swinging wide open.
    When the gavel strikes at the start of the House hearing Wednesday morning, America and the rest of the world will have the chance to see and hear for themselves for the first time about President Donald Trump’s actions toward Ukraine and consider whether they are, in fact, impeachable offenses.
    It’s a remarkable moment, even for a White House full of them.
    All on TV, committee leaders will set the stage, then comes the main feature: Two seasoned diplomats, William Taylor, the graying former infantry officer now charge d’affaires in Ukraine, and George Kent, the deputy assistant secretary in Washington, telling the striking, if sometimes complicated story of a president allegedly using foreign policy for personal and political gain ahead of the 2020 election.
    So far, the narrative is splitting Americans, mostly along the same lines as Trump’s unusual presidency. The Constitution sets a dramatic, but vague, bar for impeachment, and there’s no consensus yet that Trump’s actions at the heart of the inquiry meet the threshold of “high crimes and misdemeanors.”
    Whether Wednesday’s proceedings begin to end a presidency or help secure Trump’s position, it’s certain that his chaotic term has finally arrived at a place he cannot control and a force, the constitutional system of checks and balances, that he cannot ignore.

apnews.com/77645ee9804c4056a9a6e42e64cb755a

Dems' lead lawyer known for prosecuting mobsters, swindlers ...

Devlin Barrett
    22 hrs ago

The Democrats’ lead impeachment hearing lawyer made his bones as a prosecutor by sending mobsters, stock swindlers and a multimillion-dollar inside trader to prison, cases in which colleagues said he mixed brains and “swagger” to win convictions.
    © Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call/AP Daniel Goldman, counsel to the House Intelligence Committee, will have 45 minutes to question…Daniel S. Goldman spent a decade as an assistant U.S. attorney in Manhattan, a jurisdiction known for its tough, high-profile cases. He left that job in 2017 to become a television legal analyst but now holds a weightier role questioning witnesses called to testify about President Trump’s effort to convince Ukraine to investigate a political rival.

At the public hearings before the House Intelligence Committee due to begin Wednesday, Goldman is slotted to question each witness for 45 minutes, followed by five-minute question sessions for each lawmaker. Stephen R. Castor, general counsel for the House Oversight Committee, will be the Republicans’ point man.

The format is a significant departure from routine congressional hearings, where lawmakers have the spotlight and seldom cede the microphone and live television coverage to a staffer. By assigning a big chunk of the questioning to a committee lawyer, and in Goldman’s case, an accomplished former prosecutor, party leaders are tacitly acknowledging just how serious the stakes are.

msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-impeachment-lawyer-cut-his-teeth-prosecuting-mobsters-wall-street-cheats/ar-BBWF2p4

SCHIFF: Impeachable Offenses Include 'Bribery'...
    Republican senator: All comes down to motive...
    Trump Considered Firing Intel Inspector General...
    In private speech, Bolton says some of President's policy decisions guided by personal interest...
    Napolitano emerges as top critic...
    FACEBOOK Sued for Censoring Posts Naming Whistleblower...
    FOX HOST: WHY IS DRUDGE COVERING NEWS?
    VIDEO...
    MCCONNELL: WE WILL HAVE A TRIAL...

CNN try to boost its ratings after reports that Foxnews impeachment hearing ratings beat them?

Kellyanne Fumes When Confronted With Clip of Husband’s MSNBC Commentary: ‘Where is the Shame?’

By Colby Hall
    ov 14th, 2019

Kellyanne Conway objected to Blitzer bringing up her husband, but the CNN host pushed through and eventually played a clip of George offering a harsh assessment of her boss on impeachment.

“The problem with Donald Trump is, he always sees himself first. Trump is all about Trump,” George Conway said. “And that’s why it was inevitable he’d get himself into this soup once again. And that’s what this is all about. He’s using the — he was using the power of the presidency. Its most unchecked area, foreign affairs, to advance his own personal interest as opposed to the country’s.”
    After the clip was played for Kellyanne’s viewing, she simply said “that’s his opinion,” before hitting MSNBC for not “lacking anti-Trump voices.”
    “Where is the shame?” she asked, hitting MSNBC and CNN for airing anti-Trump voices like her husband’s. The entire conversation about the intersection of politics and marriage went on for another five minutes, the full clip of which you can watch here.

IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS: FOX DOMINATES RATINGS...

Flashback:
    Breitbart 'prepared to rally votes for Trump's impeachment if he stops pushing populist agenda

November 14, 2019

Impeachment witnesses can expect abuse, death threats, say survivors of past political scandals

NEW YORK (Reuters) - John Dean entered the witness protection program. Valerie Plame feared for her children.

FILE PHOTO: Former CIA operative Valerie Plame Wilson arrives for the screening of the film "Fair Game" at the 36th American film festival in Deauville September 9, 2010. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler/File Photo

Both are veterans of U.S. political scandals that threatened the White House, and they have a warning for the witnesses who are testifying against President Donald Trump in the current public impeachment hearings. Life is about to change, it could get ugly, and death threats will become routine.
    “You know that politics is a blood sport, but you can never quite be prepared for what is coming your way,” Plame, who was at the center of a 2003 episode that rocked the presidency of George W. Bush, said in a telephone interview. “They’re going to be subjected to all kinds of abuse.”
    The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives began calling the first public witnesses in the impeachment inquiry on Wednesday, hearing from officials who handled U.S. policy in Ukraine under the Republican president. Testimony will resume on Friday and continue next week.
    Previous presidential scandals have turned anonymous bureaucrats or secretive operatives into household names. Those on the wrong side of the president discovered just how much intimidation a White House can marshal, especially when backed by outside acolytes and media allies.
    Trump and his supporters have already started attacking one witness due to testify, U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman. They have also targeted the anonymous whistleblower who started the inquiry by raising questions about Trump’s July 25 telephone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, when Trump asked Zelenskiy to investigate political rival Joe Biden.
    Crossing a president, as Dean, a former White House counsel, did in Watergate and civil servant Linda Tripp did in the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton, can trigger an avalanche of hate mail.
    But rallying to the president’s defense can pay dividends. When National Security Council staffer Oliver North enthusiastically testified in favor of President Ronald Reagan in the Iran-Contra affair, he became a darling of conservatives, launching a new career as media personality and political activist.
    ‘HOLD FAMILY CLOSE’

Plame, a former CIA covert operations officer who is running as a Democrat for a U.S. House of Representatives seat in New Mexico in next year’s election, shot to unwanted fame for her role in discrediting Bush’s justification for starting a war in Iraq.
    A Bush aide disclosed to a journalist that Plame worked for the CIA, exposing her to an onslaught from the president’s supporters and forcing her to resign since her cover was blown. Plame said the ensuing firestorm lasted for years.
    Her advice to the current witnesses?
    “Hold their family and their true friends close, and try to understand the bigger picture. This is such an important, historic time in our country,” Plame said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1XO1IF

November 15, 2019

PRESIDENT TORCHES WITNESS
    'VERY INTIMIDATING'

The Latest: Liz Cheney criticizes Trump for critical tweet

54 minutes ago

Former Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch testifies before the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, Nov. 15, 2019, during the second public impeachment hearing of President Donald Trump's efforts to tie U.S. aid for Ukraine to investigations of his political opponents. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on President Donald Trump and House impeachment hearings (all times local):

11:35 a.m.
    The No. 3 Republican in the House says President Donald Trump “was wrong” to post tweets critical of former Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch during her testimony in the impeachment hearings.
    Rep. Liz Cheney said Yovanovitch “clearly is somebody who’s been a public servant to the United States for decades and I don’t think the president should have done that.”
    The Wyoming Republican served in senior State Department roles when her father, Dick Cheney, was vice president and she has been more supportive of the career diplomats that have so far testified than some other Republicans.
    Trump tweeted about Yovanovitch as she was answering questions from lawmakers, noting that she’d once served in Somalia and adding, “How did that go?” He tweeted: “Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad.”
    ___
    10:55 a.m.
    Former Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch says President Donald Trump’s tweets about her during her testimony in the impeachment hearings are “very intimidating” to her and other witnesses.
    Trump tweeted about Yovanovitch as she was answering questions from lawmakers, noting that she’d once served in Somalia and adding, “How did that go?” He tweeted: “Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad.”
    https://apnews.com/2f420045618b4106b6fa7419a3d75b8e

Related

Threats against Ukraine whistleblower's legal team lead to law enforcement probe

Tue October 29, 2019

Washington (CNN)The legal team representing the whistleblower who ignited the impeachment investigation has received death threats that have led to at least one law enforcement investigation, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The FBI deemed the threat not to be credible after meeting with the individual who sent it, the source said.
    "There have been a myriad of disturbing emails and voicemails sent to the legal team, with a few select messages crossing the line enough into direct threats of harm that have resulted in follow up from relevant law enforcement entities," according to the source.
    The Wall Street Journal first reported that the threats had led to at least one law enforcement probe.
    Trump has repeatedly derided the anonymous whistleblower whose complaint alleges the President abused his official powers in a July phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky "to solicit interference" in the 2020 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/polit...ion/index.html

Un-Related

Roger Stone guilty on all 7 counts

There are some unvalidated theories going around that impeachment maybe an inside job.
    This doesn't prove anything but from sampling of hearings so far also, various GOP members used much of their time to highlight Biden's son's financial connections to Ukraine and reapeated hints about 'nepotism' rather than defense against current charges that are supposed to be basis of this inquiry.
    What would Schiff/Pelosi gain by helping MAGA IF such theories turned out to be factual?

Nov 15, 2019

DOW 28,000!

In case confirmed, it would be second recent high profie story; couple of weeks ago it surfaced that liberal Dem Tulsi Gabbard's attacks on a sitting MAGA POTUS using highly disrespectful language (pertaining to sex workers industry) may have been an 'inside job' after Hillary Clinton accused Tulsi of being groomed by Russians Republicans for 3rd party run in 2020.

PRESSURE BUILDS ON TRUMP TO TESTIFY...

Closest witnesses kicking off big Trump impeachment week

By LISA MASCARO and MARY CLARE JALONICK 2 hours ago

1 of 14
    Former National Security Council Director for European Affairs Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman returns to the Capitol to review transcripts of his testimony in the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump, in Washington, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nine witnesses. Five hearings. Three days.

The Trump impeachment inquiry is charging into a crucial week as Americans hear from some of the most important witnesses closest to the White House in back-to-back-to-back live sessions.
    Full Coverage: Trump impeachment inquiry
    Among them, Ambassador Gordon Sondland, the wealthy donor whose routine boasting about his proximity to Donald Trump is now bringing the investigation to the president’s doorstep.
    The witnesses all are testifying under penalty of perjury, and Sondland already has had to amend his earlier account amid contradicting testimony from other current and former U.S. officials. White House insiders, including an Army officer and National Security Council aide, will launch the week’s hearings Tuesday.
    It’s a pivotal time as the House’s historic inquiry accelerates and deepens. Democrats say Trump demanded that Ukraine investigate his Democratic rivals in return for U.S. military aid it needed to resist Russian aggression and that may be grounds for removing the 45th president. Trump says he did no such thing and the Democrats are just out to get him any way they can.
    On Monday, Trump said he was considering an invitation from Speaker Nancy Pelosi to provide his own account to the House, possibly by submitting written testimony. That would be an unprecedented moment in this constitutional showdown between the two branches of U.S. government.
    Trump tweeted: “Even though I did nothing wrong, and don’t like giving credibility to this No Due Process Hoax, I like the idea & will, in order to get Congress focused again, strongly consider it!”
    A ninth witness, David Holmes, a State Department official who overheard Trump talking about the investigations on a phone call with Sondland while the ambassador was at a restaurant in Kyiv, was a late addition Monday. He is scheduled to close out the week Thursday.
    Tuesday’s sessions at the House Intelligence Committee will start with Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, an Army officer at the National Security Council, and Jennifer Williams, his counterpart at Vice President Mike Pence’s office.
    Both are foreign policy experts who listened with concern as Trump spoke on July 25 with the newly elected Ukraine president. A government whistleblower’s complaint about that call led the House to launch the impeachment investigation.

apnews.com/6d5d4cb9e198475584b993fa950f2de4

Related

Weekend hospital visit gets skeptical reception...
    Health under scrutiny again...
    FOXNEWS Host Bites Back For Attack on Chris Wallace...

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Granted we live in dramatic times with a dramatic leadership, Drudge Report is being bit too dramatic today.

Army Reportedly Ready to Move Vindman Family Onto Base if They’re in ‘Physical Danger’ After Impeachment Testimony

By Tommy Christopher Nov 19th, 2019

National Security Council official Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman and his family are reportedly ready to move to a military base if the Army determines they are in “physical danger” following Vindman’s public impeachment hearing testimony.
    Lt. Col. Vindman has already given explosive closed-door testimony about the now-infamous phone call between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that led to the current impeachment inquiry.
    But in a sobering development, the Army is concerned for the safety of Vondman and his family once he testifies publicly for the first time Tuesday, according to The Wall Street Journal:
    The U.S. Army is prepared to move Col. Vindman and his family onto a military base in the area to ensure their security if it is determined that they are in physical danger, according to U.S. officials.

Army security officials in recent weeks conducted a security assessment at Col. Vindman’s request, reviewing both his and his family’s physical security and their online security, according to U.S. officials.
    Army security officials have also been monitoring Col. Vindman and his family around the clock to make sure there aren’t any imminent threats, officials said.
    “The Army will make sure he’s safe, and the Army is actively supporting any safety needs as deemed necessary,” an official said. “It’s hard that he has been catapulted into the public eye. He served his country honorably for 20 years, and you can imagine this is a tough situation for him and his family.”
    Vindman has already been the subject of a smear campaign by Donald Trump Jr., as well as various Fox News personalities and CNN analyst Sean Duffy, and other Trump allies.

IMPEACHMENT DAY 3...

Trump's weekend hospital visit gets skeptical reception...
    Health under scrutiny again...
    Former White House Physician: 'Neurological Issue'...
    Radio station disputes host's story of firing...

IMPEACHMENT DAY 4...

'Everyone was in the loop. It was was no secret'...
    Pompeo dragged deeper into probe...
    Rudy deletes tweet saying he had 'VERY little contact' with Sondland...

KEN STARR: Republican Senators May Push Trump To Resign...

'The answer is yes': Sondland affirms 'quid pro quo' in Ukraine dealings

Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland.
    Updated: 11/20/2019 11:25 AM EST

President Donald Trump’s handpicked Ukraine adviser Gordon Sondland told House impeachment investigators Wednesday that Trump conditioned a valuable White House meeting for Ukraine's new president on his willingness to launch investigations into Trump’s Democratic adversaries, including former Vice President Joe Biden.
    “Was there a ‘quid pro quo?’” Sondland — the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, a close Trump ally and longtime GOP donor — said in his opening remarks to the House Intelligence Committee. “The answer is yes.”

Sondland’s testimony was the most dramatic to date, putting the president at the center of an effort to pressure a foreign power to investigate his political rivals. Democrats quickly seized on the bombshell testimony as they seek to make the case in a series of public impeachment hearings that Trump abused his power by conditioning official acts to benefit his re-election campaign.
    Story Continued Below

Sondland framed the matter as widely understood across the Trump administration, indicating that senior officials including acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and even cabinet secretaries were aware of the arrangement — and that it was carried out at the “express direction” of the president.
    “Everyone was in the loop. It was no secret,” Sondland said, adding that he directly communicated the “quid pro quo” to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

politico.com/news/2019/11/20/gordon-sondland-impeachment-testimony-071708

The GOP’s Witnesses Aren’t Helping Trump

If Republicans thought Kurt Volker and Timothy Morrison would bust the Democrats’ case for impeachment, they were likely disappointed by what they heard today.

Russell Berman 6:48 PM ET

At the start of the second session of today’s doubleheader impeachment hearings, Chairman Adam Schiff noted an important distinction about the two witnesses appearing before the House Intelligence Committee: Both Kurt Volker, the former special envoy to Ukraine, and Timothy Morrison, a senior director on the National Security Council, were “requested by the minority.”

In other words, the Republicans on the committee wanted them there. And, presumably, they wanted Volker and Morrison because they thought their testimony would help President Donald Trump and hurt the case for his impeachment.
    That’s not exactly what happened.
    In his opening statement, Volker made a point of defending the potential political opponent Trump wanted Ukraine to investigate, the former Vice President Joe Biden, calling him “an honorable man” whom he holds in “the highest regard.” Volker referred to allegations about Biden’s involvement with Ukraine during the waning months of the Obama administration as “conspiracy theories” and said the suggestion that Biden had acted corruptly was “not credible.” Volker insisted that he did not make a connection at the time between Biden and Trump’s desire for Ukraine to investigate both possible interference in the 2016 election and the energy company Burisma, on whose board Biden’s son once sat. But Volker testified that he now understood that the president’s demands of Ukraine went beyond a generalized crackdown on corruption—that he wanted a probe of the Bidens, something Volker said this afternoon was “unacceptable.”

theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/11/volker-morrison-trump/602299/

Related

Name "Rocky A$AP" triggered Amb. Sondland memory recall that could sink Trump Presidency?

10:39 A.M. —
    Sondland when asked if he told Trump the Ukrainian president "loves your ass"– "That's how President Trump and I communicate. A lot of four letter words. In this case a three letter word"
    — Dorey Scheimer (@DoreyScheimer) November 20, 2019
    10:34 A.M. — Sondland says a change in his impeachment testimony was triggered by reference to rapper A$AP Rocky.

55 min ago
    Sondland: Rapper A$AP Rocky was initially the "primary focus" of the July 26 call with Trump

Angela Weiss/AFP/Getty Images
    House Democrats' counsel Daniel Goldman pointed out that Sondland's testimony is that he now remembers that infamous July 26 phone with President Trump he had while sitting in a restaurant in Kiev.
    This is the call where they discussed investigations that President Trump wanted Ukraine to announce.
    Sondland, who said he isn't a notetaker, said, "What triggered my memory was someone's reference to A$AP Rocky, which I believe was the primary focus of the phone call."
    https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...d9f63ea1b281fa

Donald Trump Reportedly Was Told To Let A$AP Rocky Sit In Prison

November 18, 2019
    A$AP Rocky and the Sweden incident that left the rapper behind bars for a month is back in the headlines after the on camera scuffle was included in the impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump.

According to the New York Times, the United States Embassy in Kiev official David Holmes testified that he overheard Trump on the phone with Gordon D. Sondland, American ambassador to the European Union.
    Holmes confirmed that Trump spoke with Sondland about getting Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky to conduct an investigation into Joe Biden; he also said that Sondland and Trump spoke about Rocky’s then-ongoing legal troubles in Sweden. Trump publicly commented that he wanted to help free Rocky, expressing disappointment in Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven’s perceived lack of action prior to the rapper’s release. In the call, as Holmes recollected, Sondland loudly told Trump that Rocky “should have pled guilty.”

In a tweet posted by Washington Post senior political reporter Aaron Blake, Holmes stated that Sondland told the president that Rocky was “kind of f*cked there” and that he “should have pleaded guilty.”

hiphopwired.com/829025/donald-trump-told-to-let-asap-rocky-sit-in-prison/

Trump was more worried about A$AP Rocky than Ukraine scheme

By Dave Goldiner
    Nov 20, 2019 | 11:11 AM

During his infamous cell phone call from Trump at a Kyiv cafe, Gordon Sondland recalled the main thing on the president’s mind was not Ukraine or even investigating Joe Biden.

It was A$AP Rocky.

“As I recall, that was the primary purpose of the call,” Sondland testified Wednesday at the impeachment hearing.

At the time of the July 26 chat, the rapper was in a Swedish jail awaiting trial on charges stemming from a Stockholm street brawl.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland testifies before the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday during a public impeachment hearing of President Donald Trump's efforts to tie U.S. aid for Ukraine to investigations of his political opponents. (Andrew Harnik/AP)

That was the day after Trump’s infamous phone call to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky in which he demanded a “favor” of launching investigations into his Democratic rivals.

But Trump wanted Sondland, who is ambassador to the European Union, to tighten the screws on Sweden to let A$AP go free.

Timeline of the impeachment inquiry against President Trump

The president had assured supporters Kanye West and Kim Kardashian that he would win freedom for the rapper, and was irritated that little apparent progress was being made.

Rapper Rocky A$AP & Trump supporters launch boycott of Sweden, US warned Sweden of 'negative consequences' if A$AP wasn't released

Trump Just Hired the Guy He Sent to Free A$AP Rocky as His New National Security Adviser

No one gives a $#@!. Ain't gonna happen.

11 hr 56 min ago
    This is the handwritten statement Trump read from moments ago

Mark Wilson/Getty
    President Trump, speaking to reporters today before leaving for Texas, read off a statement that appeared to be written in black Sharpie.
    In large letters, the statement read:
    "I want nothing. I want nothing. I want no quid pro quo. Tell Zellinsky to do the right thing. This is the final word from the Pres. of the U.S."

cnn.com/politics/live-news/impeachment-hearing-11-20-19/h_ef1ea69416e83b474dd18f98c53649dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfDRX2-3LE

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    No one gives a $#@!. Ain't gonna happen.
    If your premise (first part of your statement) is correct, then your conclusion is sound.

But Congress and Media at least appear to be wanting something to happen, time will tell. On the surface, after today risk of sinking of investment of widely respected Globalsit Neoconservative Democrats in GOPA leadership has increased.

PENCE KNEW. DUCKIES, HE WUZ in

(drumrolls) THAH LOOP. i kid U naught.

IF DJT IS CONVICTED, ODDS = 50/50

WILL He PARDON #45? a.s.a.p???

ECHOES of JERRY FORD + RMN.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    PENCE KNEW. DUCKIES, HE WUZ in

(drumrolls) THAH LOOP. i kid U naught.

IF DJT IS CONVICTED, ODDS = 50/50

WILL He PARDON #45? a.s.a.p???

ECHOES of JERRY FORD + RMN.

MAGA supporters might not appreciate drumrolls at this juncture, situation is getting bit serious:

Trump’s million-dollar donor Sondland testifies: “We followed the president’s orders.”
    November 20, 2019
    peoplesworld.org/article/trumps-million-dollar-donor-sondland-testifies-we-followed-the-presidents-orders/

4 hours ago

Sondland says his family, businesses receiving threats over role in Trump impeachment inquiry

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

What questions did Sondland need to answer during impeachment hearing?

As Democrats work to protect the whistleblower, whose lawyer says he receives regular threats due to the complaint that touched off the current impeachment inquiry into President Trump, another major figure in this week's hearings says the proceedings are taking a personal toll on him as well.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland said in public testimony Wednesday that his family had received "many" threats as a result of his role in the impeachment inquiry, under questioning from Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Texas, on the personal repercussions he'd dealt with since being pulled into the scandal.

"We have countless emails apparently to my wife, our properties are being picketed and boycotted," Sondland said.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, followed at left by attorney James McDermott, finishes a day of testimony before the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, during a public impeachment hearing of President Donald Trump's efforts to tie U.S. aid for Ukraine to investigations of his political opponents. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

SONDLAND DECLARES QUID PRO QUO, PUNDITS CALL TESTIMONY DAMAGING TO TRUMP
    Conaway began the questioning by bringing up Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff's calls for respect toward witnesses. He then contrasted the guidance from Schiff, D-Calif., against Democrat-led calls to boycott Sondland's hotels in Oregon.
    "The chairman also announces at every hearing that he will not tolerate, and I agree with him, any witness intimidation or any threats or any issues of trying to bully a witness," Conaway said. "Congressman Earl Blumenauer from Oregon has in fact called for a boycott of your hotel chain or your hotels in Oregon. I'm assuming he believes that will harm you to the point that you will then be bullied into doing whatever he wants done."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/son...chment-inquiry

Related

MAGA supporters might not appreciate drumrolls at this juncture, situation is getting bit serious:

Trump’s million-dollar donor Sondland testifies: “We followed the president’s orders.”
    November 20, 2019
    peoplesworld.org/article/trumps-million-dollar-donor-sondland-testifies-we-followed-the-presidents-orders/

4 hours ago

Sondland says his family, businesses receiving threats over role in Trump impeachment inquiry

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

What questions did Sondland need to answer during impeachment hearing?

As Democrats work to protect the whistleblower, whose lawyer says he receives regular threats due to the complaint that touched off the current impeachment inquiry into President Trump, another major figure in this week's hearings says the proceedings are taking a personal toll on him as well.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland said in public testimony Wednesday that his family had received "many" threats as a result of his role in the impeachment inquiry, under questioning from Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Texas, on the personal repercussions he'd dealt with since being pulled into the scandal.

"We have countless emails apparently to my wife, our properties are being picketed and boycotted," Sondland said.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, followed at left by attorney James McDermott, finishes a day of testimony before the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, during a public impeachment hearing of President Donald Trump's efforts to tie U.S. aid for Ukraine to investigations of his political opponents. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

SONDLAND DECLARES QUID PRO QUO, PUNDITS CALL TESTIMONY DAMAGING TO TRUMP
    Conaway began the questioning by bringing up Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff's calls for respect toward witnesses. He then contrasted the guidance from Schiff, D-Calif., against Democrat-led calls to boycott Sondland's hotels in Oregon.
    "The chairman also announces at every hearing that he will not tolerate, and I agree with him, any witness intimidation or any threats or any issues of trying to bully a witness," Conaway said. "Congressman Earl Blumenauer from Oregon has in fact called for a boycott of your hotel chain or your hotels in Oregon. I'm assuming he believes that will harm you to the point that you will then be bullied into doing whatever he wants done."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/son...chment-inquiry

Related

lol

that's all fake news. You can learn what *really* happened in about 5 minutes on Youtube.
    Last edited by SimmerDown; 11-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.

WATCH: Trump Tells Fox & Friends ‘I Want a Trial’

By Colby Hall
    Nov 22nd, 2019, 8:40 am

In a lengthy interview with Fox & Friends Friday morning, the first since impeachment inquiry hearings appear to have wrapped up, President Donald Trump proclaimed “I want a trial,” in the matter of Trump’s alleged plot to seek domestic political help from a foreign entity.
    In a question designed to praise Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik, Trump quickly turned to the overall ordeal. “The bottom line is, all of those witnesses, they’re all shifty Schiff’s,” he noted, adding “don’t forget there was no due process. You can’t have lawyers. We couldn’t have any witnesses.”
    He then said “we want to call the whistleblower. But you know who I want as the first witness> Because frankly, I want a trial. You know, I think–”
    Brian Kilmeade followed “You want a trial?”
    Trump replied “Oh, I would! Look, number one, they should never, ever impeach.”
    He then cited as evidence the flurry of pro-Trump legal analysis he had seen on Fox News. “I watched, I watched five people on your network yesterday say there’s nothing here. Andy McCarthy, how about Ken, special prosecutor,” Trump said.
    Kilmeade interjected: “Ken Starr.”
    “Special counsel. Ken Starr, he was fantastic, he said there’s nothing here. So ready? Number one, there should never be an impeachment. This is not an impeachment,” Trump concluded.
    mediaite.com/tv/trump-tells-fox-friends-i-want-a-trial/

Potentially Related
    McConnell: Senate Will 'Have to Have a Trial' if House Votes to Impeach Trump
    LewRockwell.com: U.S. Senators Are Nearly All Stooges for Israel
    Trump reverses longstanding policy on Israeli settlements

Quote Originally Posted by SimmerDown View Post
    lol

that's all fake news. You can learn what *really* happened in about 5 minutes on Youtube.
    All of it.. including quoted 'who is Gordon Sondland' description?

Would grant that Foxnews is a notorious neocons run site that has pushed lot of fakenews in past years, so will need to further check that report from other sources like conservative source AJ or Breitbart etc.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This thread is full of diarrhea.

What’s the bottom line?

https://twitter.com/repmarkmeadows/s...279924225?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

What’s the bottom line?

https://twitter.com/repmarkmeadows/s...279924225?s=21
    This is huge if confirmed.

No one told him something and yet he testified that 'he believed' that something in his written opening statement.

No one told him there was QPQ and yet he believed there was QPQ.

Game over .. and yet engines restarted.

2 and 2 don't add up.

'The answer is yes': Sondland affirms 'quid pro quo' in Ukraine dealings - Politico
    11/20/2019
    “Was there a ‘quid pro quo?’” Sondland — the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, a close Trump ally and longtime GOP donor — said in his opening remarks to the House Intelligence Committee. “The answer is yes.”

8 hours ago

Devin Nunes doubles down on promise to take CNN and Daily Beast to court: 'It should be fun'

By Nick Givas | Fox News

House Intelligence Committee ranking member Devin Nunes on impeachment inquiry, attacks from the media.

Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., who promised to sue CNN and the Daily Beast, said this week on "Sunday Morning Futures" that the only way to hold the "corrupt" media accountable is to challenge them in federal court.
    Nunes first threatened legal action on Friday, after both outlets published stories claiming the ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee had met with Ukranian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, in Vienna in 2018 to push for an investigation into Hunter and Joe Biden. Both stories cite former Rudy Guliani associate, Lev Parnas, who was indicted in October for conspiring to violate the ban on foreign donations, prompting Nunes to question the validity of the source.
    "I've been used to this for the last three years," Nunes told Fox News. "The House Intelligence Committee Republicans, we continue to expose Democrat corruption over and over again. And what always happens is right when we expose them... they go out to kill the messenger."
    "So this week -- another fake news story. The problem with this week's fake news story is -- we actually caught them," he continued. "And we caught them badly and it also involves criminal activity... We are going to take both CNN and the Daily Beast likely into federal court, right after Thanksgiving and we hope they cooperate."

The Daily Beast originally broke the story about Nunes' alleged meeting on Thursday, citing Parnas' lawyer Ed MacMahon as their source. The Beast also cites congressional travel records which it claims shows Nunes traveled to Europe from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 2018, along with three of his aides. CNN followed up with an article on Saturday, citing Parnas' other lawyer, Joseph A. Bondy, who said Nunes was put in touch with officials who could help him dig up dirt on the Bidens.
    foxnews.com/politics/devin-nunes-cnn-daily-beast-republicans

Giuliani quips he has 'insurance' if Trump throws him 'under the bus'

GIULIANI: THEY'RE GOING TO TRY AND KILL ME...

Feds Subpoena Rudy Records...
    Investigating possible money laundering, obstruction of justice, campaign finance violations...
    Photos, Audio, Video Recordings From Associate...
    NATIONAL ENQUIRER chief talking with NY prosecutors...

Netanyahu's indictment hurts Trump, and Trump's impeachment hurts Netanyahu

Each faces corruption allegations that put them in perilous straits, and the political crutch each has afforded the other no longer carries much weight.

Nov. 22, 2019
    By Rebecca Shimoni-Stoil, professor of U.S. and the world in Clemson University’s history department
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has known a few American presidents en route to becoming Israel’s longest-serving premier, but it’s in President Donald Trump that he has found a unique partnership.
    Since Trump’s election in 2016, the two leaders have provided important political support for each other; Trump’s relationship with Netanyahu has bolstered his appeal to millions of pro-Israel evangelicals, while Netanyahu’s closeness to the U.S. president has allowed him to tell Israelis that only he can handle the country’s complex foreign policy needs and extract concessions that have eluded the Middle Eastern nation for generations.
    The mutual benefit society of two foundered as Trump undergoes a scarring impeachment process.

Now, in a striking parallel, both leaders have found themselves facing allegations of corruption that has put them in perilous straits. Their special relationship is no longer so special, as the political crutch each has afforded the other no longer carries the weight it once did.
    Earlier this week, it seemed as if the Trump-Netanyahu relationship might rekindle some of its former magic. That it instead produced a quickly extinguished spark only underscored its limits. The mutual benefit society of two foundered as Trump undergoes a scarring impeachment process and Netanyahu, currently the country’s caretaker prime minister, was indicted Thursday on corruption charges days after he failed to cobble together a governing coalition.

With Trump under increasing pressure from wall-to-wall coverage of impeachment hearings laying bare his behavior toward Ukraine, he attempted a classic move Monday: divert attention by making news that fires up his base, in this case with the radical declaration that the United States would no longer view Israeli Jewish settlements in the West Bank as illegal.
    Washington as far back as the Carter administration has opposed Jewish settlements. Recent administrations have seen them as damaging to the terrirorial integrity of a future Palestinian state. The announcement added fuel to Palestinian claims that the U.S. can no longer serve as an impartial broker of a Middle East peace deal.

Despite the major reversal on settlements, the U.S. media barely paid attention and quickly returned to impeachment coverage. And in Israel, this massive gift to the Israeli right, which Netanyahu leads, failed to translate into political capital for the weakened PM.

Following the announcement, Netanyahu floated forming a coalition government with his archrivals in the Blue and White party in order to annex a strategic part of the West Bank— the Jordan River Valley — a possibility now newly viable. But the unprecedented window of opportunity was insufficient to convince Netanyahu’s rivals to join with him in a government. And it did nothing to deflect attention from the indictment bombshell.

It didn’t used to work this way. When Trump made the colossal gesture shortly into his tenure of moving the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, fulfilling a campaign promise, it garnered massive headlines for Trump and helped Netanyahu prove to Israeli voters— particularly the Israeli center and right for whom the relocation was long sought and drenched in symbolic importance — that he enjoyed a special relationship with the American chief executive.
    Similarly, weeks before a tightly contested Israeli election April 9, Trump made a surprise announcement that almost 52 years after Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in 1967’s Six-Day War, the U.S. would recognize Israel’s annexation of the strategic territory. The recognition was interpreted by both Israeli and American audiences as a gift to Netanyahu, a sign of the two leaders’ alliance and personal proximity.

Coverage of the Golan move was wall-to-wall in Israel, and one village renamed itself in honor of Trump. Netanyahu used Trump as a central part of his message, erecting larger-than-life billboards showing him shaking hands with a happy Trump above the slogan “Netanyahu — in a different league.” That helped give Netanyahu, already under threat of indictment, a victory at the polls (though not enough for him to form a government).
    Trump’s public embrace of Netanyahu also helped the U.S. president politically. Prominent evangelicals saw Trump’s embrace of Israel as little short of divine providence. Pastor Jim Hagee, leader of the millions-strong Christians United for Israel, recounted to his followers that he told Trump that he “would be forever engraved in our history books if he did indeed fulfill his promise to move the embassy.”

The two leaders also get support from each other’s followers, which have made Trump’s support for Netanyahu and Netanyahu’s proximity to Trump a key way of appealing to their respective voters. Approximately 65 percent of American Republicans and 40 percent of Americans overall have positive views of Netanyahu, making him about as popular as Trump himself in the broader public.
    In Israel, Trump is so highly regarded among right-leaning voters that an ultra-Orthodox boys’ choir dedicated a song — “Super-Trump” — to the president, while earlier this month Trump himself joked: “If anything happened here, I’m making a trip over to Israel. I'll be prime minister there very quickly.”
    He might need to test that proposition if he finds himself impeached in the coming months or, more likely, turned out by voters repulsed by the evidence that he pressured the Ukrainian president to launch an investigation into a major political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.
    Meanwhile, Netanyahu is also on the ropes thanks to the indictment by Israeli Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit, once considered a Netanyahu ally, whose appointment to the position was seen as a strong protection for the prime minister.
    Both have turned to criticizing the media and attacking branches of their own government in efforts to shore up their political viability.

In the end, the very similarities between the two — shared domestic legal woes stemming from alleged abuses of their executive offices — have rendered each leader unable to deliver the usual boost to their trans-Atlantic counterpart.

nbcnews.com/think/opinion/netanyahu-s-indictment-hurts-trump-trump-s-impeachment-hurts-netanyahu-ncna1089911

Related
    Beginning of the end of Globalism-First Deep Zionism?
    Simultanous Coup Attempts against a Globalist Neoconservative funded Trump & Netanyahu

Trump reverses longstanding policy on Israeli settlements

Flood Of Condemnations Of NYT For Antisemitic Trump Cartoon

Historically-Related
    Flashback : Bill Clinton Impeachment

This may also explain why current impeachment hearings aka 'coup' are relatively boring compared to Clinton impeachment drama that had grabbed nation's attention much more forcefully.

Bill Clinton's phone sex was 'eavesdropped by MI6 and used by Israel for blackmail'

Author Daniel Halper also says the former US President included British actress Elizabeth Hurley on a “hit list” of women he wanted.

Halper’s book Clinton, Inc. claims UK, Israeli and Russian spies monitored the X-rated calls.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu used the tapes to try to get Clinton to free Jonathan Pollard, an American jailed for spying for the Middle East country.

Clinton sought to have Pollard released, but was thwarted by CIA Director George Tenet, the book claims.
    Halper secured hundreds of documents compiled by lawyers working for former White House intern Lewinsky.
    The files were collected after Clinton’s affair with her was made public in January, 1998.

Clinton was on crutches after injuring his foot.
    Halper claims when Lewinsky arrived the President gingerly made his way into his study where she performed oral sex on him. It is said to be the last time the pair were intimate.
    Clinton is alleged to have expressed concern over their calls being listened in on.
    “If anybody ever says anything about the calls I’ve made to you, tell them we were just joking,” Clinton said, according to the book, to be released in 10 days.

Netanyahu said to have offered Lewinsky tapes for Pollard

New critical book on the Clinton family claims that Israel tapped White House phones, blackmailed president with recordings of intern

By Rebecca Shimoni Stoil July 23, 2014

WASHINGTON — Israel attempted to use tapes of former US president Bill Clinton’s steamy conversations with intern Monica Lewinsky to leverage the release of Jonathan Pollard, a new book on the Clinton family’s political enterprises has claimed. In the book, titled “Clinton Inc: The Audacious Rebuilding of a Political Machine,” author Daniel Halper relies on on-the-record interviews with former officials together with a close analysis of documents termed “the Monica Files” to paint a salacious – and uncomplimentary – picture of one of the most prominent political families in the United States.

Halper reviewed hundreds of pages of documents compiled as a contingency to use in case the former intern ever was involved in legal action against Clinton.

According to the author, the documents indicate that during the Wye Plantation talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, held in Maryland in 1998, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pulled Bill Clinton aside to press for Pollard’s release.

Halper said that Israel had found new leverage to push for Pollard’s release.

“The Israelis present at Wye River had a new tactic for their negotiations–they’d overheard Clinton and Monica and had it on tape. Not wanting to directly threaten the powerful American president, a crucial Israeli ally, Clinton was told that the Israeli government had thrown the tapes away. But the very mention of them was enough to constitute a form of blackmail,” Halper wrote, adding that “according to information provided by a CIA source, a stricken Clinton appeared to buckle.”

Almost Certainly Un-Related

Israel accused of planting mysterious spy devices near the White House
    The likely Israeli spying efforts were uncovered during the Trump presidency, several former top U.S. officials said.
    By DANIEL LIPPMAN
    09/12/2019
    politico.com/story/2019/09/12/israel-white-house-spying-devices-1491351

Ex-spy Pollard pleads for Netanyahu to convince Trump to ease his parole terms

In appeal on TV, former US navy analyst who passed secrets to Israel says restrictions on his movement make it impossible to care for his sick wife

By Tamar Pileggi 5 August 2019
    “I asked Netanyahu to personally contact President Trump and request relief on my terms of release,” he said in the interview conducted in his New York home. “I’m confident and hopeful that Netanyahu will make this call.”
    Pollard said he was told by Netanyahu’s office — in a message conveyed by Israeli Ambassador to Washington Ron Dermer — that the prime minister would get involved, and said he “can’t imagine Trump refusing” the request.
    timesofisrael.com/ex-spy-pollard-hoping-netanyahu-will-convince-trump-to-commute-his-parole/

Officials: Trump 'seriously considering' letting Pollard move to Israel

Loyal Trump supporter Scaramucci says Trump is "not blackmailable"

Perhaps, all sides should consider taking a break during holidays and display some bipartisanship.

Judiciary hearings next week...

Clinton strategist Mark Penn giving Oval Office advice...

Impeachment cloud darkens Trump's Florida Thanksgiving break

Sebastian Smith
    AFP•November 26, 2019

US President Donald Trump faces perilous legal challenges as Democrats ready to prepare articles of impeachment soon after the Thanksgiving break (AFP Photo/Brendan Smialowski)

Washington (AFP) - President Donald Trump branded his political enemies "wolves" on Tuesday ahead of leaving Washington for a campaign rally and Thanksgiving break at his Florida home already being spoiled by the growing threat of impeachment.
    Before boarding Air Force One, the president was to act out the quirky annual ritual of pardoning two enormous turkeys, sparing them from the national day of feasting on Thursday.
    Politics watchers, however, were less interested in the fates of the flightless birds, named Bread and Butter, than the perilous legal challenges facing Trump and his entourage as Democrats prepare to take the next step toward impeachment soon after the Thanksgiving vacation.
    Trump was certainly not in a forgiving or thankful mood, lashing out on Twitter at "the D.C. Wolves and Fake News Media."
    In keeping with his favored response to moments of crisis, Trump will hold a rally later in Sunrise, Florida, giving him a chance to get away from Washington politics and to reconnect to his right-wing voter bas

news.yahoo.com/impeachment-cloud-darkens-trumps-florida-thanksgiving-break-143107297.html

Impeachment cloud darkens Trump's Florida Thanksgiving break

Sebastian Smith
    AFP•November 26, 2019

GOPA wing leadership is having none of that gloom cloud being reported by media wing:

Donald Trump tweeted an image of himself as Rocky Balboa as he arrived at his West Palm Beach golf club to start his Thanksgiving holiday

Granted they are not perfect on foreign policy, at lesat they should let GOPA leadership catch a break during holidays, but no...

Trump faces two deadlines as U.S. Congress ramps up impeachment focus

by Reuters
    Sunday, 1 December 2019 16:16 GMT

By David Morgan
    WASHINGTON, Dec 1 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump faced two deadlines in Congress this week as Democrats prepared to shift the focus of their impeachment inquiry from fact-finding to the consideration of possible charges of misconduct over his dealings with Ukraine.
    The Democratic-led House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, tasked with considering charges known as articles of impeachment, has given Trump until 6 p.m. EST (2300 GMT) on Sunday to say whether he or his legal counsel will participate in a Wednesday impeachment hearing.

This first-in-a-series of expected Judiciary proceedings will hear testimony on the impeachment process established under the U.S. Constitution from a panel of legal experts that has yet to be named.

Hearings before the committee, which has responsibility for crafting any formal charges against Trump, are a major step toward possible charges. Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who will make the final decision, has not yet said whether the Republican president should be impeached. But in a letter to supporters last week, she called for him to be held accountable for his actions.
    Trump has denied any wrongdoing, calling the impeachment inquiry a "witch hunt." The White House has not yet indicated whether it will take part in the committee proceedings.
    Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler also set a 5 p.m. EST (2200 GMT) Friday deadline for Trump to say whether he will mount a defense at further proceedings expected next week to examine evidence against him.

Three investigating panels, led by the House Intelligence Committee, are due to release a formal report this week when lawmakers return on Tuesday from a Thanksgiving recess. The report will outline evidence gathered by the Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight committees.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast