Thread: Senior, 80, weeps as she is CLEARED of 'mercy killing' murder of her terminally ill husband

Senior, 80, weeps as she is CLEARED of 'mercy killing' murder of her terminally ill husband

A pensioner was today cleared of the 'mercy killing' murder of her terminally ill husband, who died after they both took an overdose at home home.

Mavis Eccleston, 80, of Huntingdon, Staffordshire, was also acquitted of the manslaughter of Dennis Eccleston, 81, after telling jurors they were both of sound mind, and had agreed to take medication to end their lives together.

One of their three children, Joy Munns, 54, today called for an assisted dying law in Britain as she said: 'He wouldn't have had to ask our mum to do something that is considered breaking the law.'

Prosecutors had alleged Mr Eccleston, who was in the 'end stages' of bowel cancer, was unaware that he was taking a potentially lethal overdose, and that his wife later made admissions to two mental health nurses.

Mrs Eccleston sobbed in the dock after being unanimously cleared of murder and an alternative charge of manslaughter following a two-week trial at Stafford Crown Court.

She told the jury last week that her husband – who had previously talked about travelling to Switzerland to end his life on his own terms – had kissed her hand in thanks after she agreed to 'go with his wishes' to die.

Describing how she and her husband agreed to take their own lives at their home in Huntington, near Cannock, the pensioner told the court he 'knew full well' what medication they were taking and administered his overdose himself.

Mrs Eccleston was given an antidote in hospital for the drugs she had taken in the early hours of February 19 last year.

Mr Eccleston died on February 20, a day after he and his wife were found by family members at their bungalow after both had taken overdoses.

The couple appeared to be asleep or unconscious and were taken to hospital by paramedics, who became aware of the apparent suicide note.

During her evidence to the jury, Mrs Eccleston said she had fetched medication from a nearby cupboard at her husband's request, adding: 'It was an understanding between us. He had to tell me what I had got to do.'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-claims.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As long as the mercy killing is done by official representatives of the medical establishment, it’s all good.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    As long as the mercy killing is done by official representatives of the medical establishment, it’s all good.
    This is a good example of jury nullification. She broke the law but the jury would not convict.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    This is a good example of jury nullification. She broke the law but the jury would not convict.
    What law did she break? If she's telling the truth, her husband committed suicide of his own accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What law did she break? If she's telling the truth, her husband committed suicide of his own accord.
    'assisted' suicide is not legal in the UK.

I just want a case of really fine tequila if I become bed ridden oh and some good refer and maybe some mushrooms