Thread: [Parody] Bank robber wearing ‘Day of Dead’ mask may be charged with cultural appropriation

[Parody] Bank robber wearing ‘Day of Dead’ mask may be charged with cultural appropriation

More

An armed robber wearing a “Day of the Dead”-type mask, who held up a Wells Fargo Bank, may be charged with cultural appropriation, in addition to bank robbery.

According to a press release by the Santa Monica Police Department, on Sept. 10, a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, and a skull mask similar to one that represents the Mexican holiday, entered a Wells Fargo location in the beachside Los Angeles suburb.

Holding a shotgun, the man demanded cash in amounts varying between $3,000 and $5,000, and ran, jumping an 8-foot fence outside. According to the Santa Monica Observer, a witness said the robber jumped into a red SUV waiting in an alley.

Eighty police officers from neighboring towns Beverly Hills and Inglewood and from Los Angles county, including the sheriff’s department, also responded to the scene, reported the Santa Monica Observer.

No one was injured in the robbery. Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) are searching for the suspect, who is also wanted for bank robbery and assault.

A representative of the Santa Monica Police Department did not respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment. "Use of a Day of the Dead Mask during a robbery can be a separate offense or an enhancement, under the California Penal Code,” a police spokesperson said in a press release, per the Observer. “In this case, the suspect is sought for violating the rights of indigenous peoples, and for bank robbery."

A spokesperson from Wells Fargo tells Yahoo Lifestyle, “We are working with law enforcement and are unable to provide more details as this is an ongoing criminal investigation. Wells Fargo values and promotes diversity and inclusion in all aspects of business at all levels. We do not tolerate racism, cultural appropriation or discrimination of any kind.”

The Day of Dead, a holiday that lasts between October 31 and November 2, is a celebratory period for Mexican people to honor those who have passed on. Toy company Mattel is currently selling a “Barbie Día de Muertos” (retail price: $75) that some reportedly tweeted appropriated Mexican culture.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He should have gotten some matching gloves
    Do something Danke

Why do they assume he is not Mexican?

WTF , Now bank robbers need to check with Ca Code , to see which masks are BR approved.

Like wtf again, you can charge someone for wearing a Mexican or American, Armenian , Chinese
    mask, maybe you like the mask, so you get charged for something that you wear cause you
    just love the mask or whatever your wearing.

Even if you mean to make a racist , cultural , or Social statement by a mask that you wear, this
    is your right to do so , under the 1st amendment , Ca can just f the f off, period, secede you
    pile of schit.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    He should have gotten some matching gloves
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oyarde again.

Cultural appropriation was the last thing on that guys mind when he picked out that mask. I'm sure he chose to wear that mask in particular because he thought it looked cool.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Wait
    am I allowed to eat tacos or not
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

They really do embrace clown world.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Update 9/18/2019: This article, which was picked up by Yahoo news, is intended as satire. No one from the SMPD actually said the unidentified bank robber could be charged with cultural appropriation. We thought it was kind of obvious.
    https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...bery/4197.html
    Everyone thinks they are The Onion now.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Wait
    am I allowed to eat tacos or not
    No.
    "The Patriarch"