Thread: Salvini promises referendums to counter new Italy government

Salvini promises referendums to counter new Italy government

Italy's far-right League will unleash a battery of referendums to try to sink reforms planned by the new government, party leader Matteo Salvini said on Sunday, denouncing his former coalition allies as traitors.

"We will challenge those traitors who are closed away in their offices," Salvini told thousands of flag-waving supporters in Pontida, a small town in the northern region of Lombardy which is considered the spiritual home of the League.
    "In the coming months, there will be a government of the people," he said, promising to force referendums to undo planned legislation, including a likely change in the electoral law that might make it harder for the League to take power in future.
    "We have had enough of stitch-ups and betrayals," Salvini said, also promising a referendum if the coalition sought to overturn a law he introduced last month that blocked Italy's ports to migrant rescue ships.
    Referendum have to be held in Italy if at least 500,000 voters petition for one.
    "If they touch our security decree, then we won't raise 500,000 signatures, but rather five million to defend the sacred borders of our nation," said Salvini.

"I think immigration is going to be grim in the months ahead. It is going to get bad," said Salvini, whose anti-migrant drive has helped the League more than double its support since national elections in 2018, making it Italy's biggest party.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/league-leader...143117257.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Italian bonds tumbled Tuesday morning after former Prime Minister Matteo Renzi officially quit the Democratic Party to start his own political group. Though Renzi has said he will back PM Giuseppe Conte, investors are clearly worried about the prospects for more political instability.
    "I have decided to leave the PD and to build together with others a new house to do politics differently," Renzi wrote on Facebook.
    Renzi, who was seen as a centrist reformer when he was elected in 2014, left office in 2016 amid a wave of dysfunction. But since his time in office, the party has shifted further to the left, with many left-recruits loyal to current party leader, Nicolas Zingaretti. Some have long suspected that Renzi might leave the Democrats to start his own more-centrist party.

And it appears that's what he's doing.
    "The victory we got in parliament against populism and Salvini was important to save Italy, but it’s not enough," Renzi wrote.
    According to Italian media reports, about 30 lawmakers might declare their loyalty to Renzi, but he has promised to continue to support the Conte government...for now at least.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...form-new-party
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment