Thread: The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan townhouse

The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan townhouse

The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan townhouse

Ric Ocasek, the lead singer of iconic new wave rock band The Cars, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Sunday, law enforcement sources told The Post. He was 70 years old.

Ocasek was discovered unconscious and unresponsive at around 4:14 p.m. inside his Gramercy Park pad by his estranged wife, Paulina Porizkova, sources said.

He appeared to have died from natural causes, sources added.

Ocasek and his seminal new wave band The Cars shot to fame with their self-titled hit album in the 1978, which included hits such as “My Best Friend’s Girl” and “Just What I Needed.”
    More: https://pagesix.com/2019/09/15/the-c...tan-townhouse/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Moving
    In
    Stereo
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

wow... I kind of forgot all about The Cars.
    I used to love them when I was younger.
    Nostalgia.
    RIP Ric.

RIP . I think it was around 1982 when I went to see them .
    Do something Danke

I am gonna put on some Ta Ta Wayo Wayo , We're Not Punk , You Might Think ....
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-15-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    Do something Danke

God damn it...

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw them in 1979. The headline act was REO Speedwagon. Opening for REO were the Rockets, the Cars, Ian Hunter and Head East. Great show. Sad news.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-15-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I saw them in 1979. The headline act was REO Speedwagon. Opening for REO were the Rockets, the Cars, Ian Hunter and Head East. Great show. Sad news.
    I saw Head East in a bar in the 80's in Southern Indiana for the second time . Very good .
    Do something Danke

RIP.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

RIP, although I have to say, I saw them in the 70s, had a front row seat, and it was the most boring show I'd ever been to. The whole audience just sat there, unmoving, while they played their first album and left.

Name the two recently passed musicians in this photo.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I saw Head East in a bar in the 80's in Southern Indiana for the second time . Very good .

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

I see Eddie with the Busch beer, Ric in the black parachute pants with no shirt...but is that Eddie VanHalen in the sunglasses?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Is it just misty eyed, middle aged nostalgia, or, from a simple photo of nothing in particular, other than some rockers getting ready to perform, do you get the sense that things were somehow better and more fun then?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Cars were never known for having an exciting show- Ric didn't even want to be a front man for a band- he wanted to write and be more of a producer. He also liked tall models. He dated a few before marrying Paulina Porizkova.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Is it just misty eyed, middle aged nostalgia, or, from a simple photo of nothing in particular, other than some rockers getting ready to perform, do you get the sense that things were somehow better and more fun then?

Yes, in many ways thingscwere better back then. At least so far as the music scene goes, most definitely.
    Chris

I see Eddie with the Busch beer, Ric in the black parachute pants with no shirt...but is that Eddie VanHalen in the sunglasses?
    Probably Benjamin Orr of the Cars- he is also dead- died of cancer in 2000. Bassist and did most of the vocals.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/prof...-orr-45567.php

That looks to be getting ready to leave for somewhere in front of somebodys house . These days in a large city standing around half naked with long hair and a beer on the curb in large groups might get you tazed. Not to mention you would be on camera .It was normal when I was a kid , that could just be the Smith's packing up coolers for a trip to the lake for a few days . And yes the music was better then . Shoo Be Doo
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Probably Benjamin Orr of the Cars- he is also dead- died of cancer in 2000. Bassist and did most of the vocals.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/prof...-orr-45567.php
    Ocasek did “most of the vocals”.

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I loved all the Cars stuff, we did covers of some of it, back ,, wayyyy back.

I always enjoyed the song; Dangerous Dyke ....

INXS's Soup Or Salad Bar was great too

RIP

I loved this song when I was a teen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We were certainly Younger..

cousins and classmates,, and Rockers.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom